• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confections! (2006-2012)

Kerry Beal

Nice job Robert - those look fabulous.

Just dragged myself up from the chocolate room where I'm painting eyes on all my Christmas molds. Too lazy to paint beards and stuff!

Wow Robert those look fantastic. I too was a busy bee this weekend. I made same caramel hopefully I can download the pics right....Everything was done freehand. I don't have a confectionary cutter that's why the pieces are not uniformed.

Rena

IMG_0245.JPG

IMG_0245.JPG

Thank you Darienne,

I finally found a caramel reciep that was firm enough to do freehand without having to put it in molds. I got the reciep from the FoodNetwork magazine, the insert for 50 edible gifts if anyone want to check it out.

Here is another pic I wanted to download in my previous post. It's dk chocolate caramel with flur de sel salt on top....

Rena

IMG_0251.JPG

Candied ginger. This was done in heavy Panela syrup, which was a first for me, and I think I like it better than simple white sugar syrup. The ginger came out darker, of course, but the flavour! :wub:

MmmGinger2.jpg

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

• 2 weeks later...

My first molded chocolates! I'm so proud! L to R - Orange white chocolate ganache in a milk shell, gingerbread ganache in milk shell, peanut butter gianduja and raspberry jelly in a dark shell.

IMG_1710.JPG

Thanks! I read various threads on this forum for weeks before trying to make them. It still took me multiple attempts to get decent looking chocolates, but I know it would have been even longer if not for all of you. :smile:

These are the chocolates that I did for Christmas this year. Top left to right - we have a Cabernet Sauvignon; Buckeye; Lemon-Mint; Cherry Cordial; (second row) Apple Pie; Ginger Rum; Orange; Creme Brulee; (third row) Habenero; Buckwheat Beehive; Cabernet Caramel w/Cabernet Ganache; Chi Tea; (fourth row) S'More; Raspberry; Mocha/dulce de leche; Coconut

2011 Christmas Chocolates half size.jpg

Candy Tray Lychee Gels. Never heard of them before. Delicious little gems. Here they are sitting in a pile of sugar waiting to be transported to our Third Annual Chinese Feast.

They should be rolled in sugar at the last minute, but I have already given them a preliminary sugar rolling and will give them a last minute shake before dessert is served and hope that this will work out fine.

One of my fellow cooks loves lychees and normally I would make lychee ice cream but I don't have an ice cream maker with me. Was just googling around last evening and found this recipe under Chinese New Year Candy Recipes and thought Aha! I couldn't be more thrilled.

And thus...

PA230056.JPG

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

OK. If there is any way to screw it up, I'll find it. Left the sugared lychee jellies sitting in a container of sugar. Yep. The sugar is all soaked and so are the jellies. Well, I know, you could have told me that. Learn, learn, learn.

Took the jellies out. Patted them all dry. Will shake them in sugar (in a separate container) at the last moment before we eat them. Just grateful that I checked them before we left. :raz:

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I recently purchased a compressor and air brush. This is my first attempt at decorating molds before casting the shells. The piece is a "Grand Marnier Caramel". The mold is decorated with "sunrise orange" and yellow cocoa butters. The center is a 1:1 caramel with a bit of butter added. Melted, untempered milk chocolate is added to the cooled caramel in a 1:1 ratio with the weight of the completed caramel. 1% of Grand Marnier by weight is then added and I also put in a bit of orange oil to punch up the flavor.

I don't know if it is coincidental or not, but this is my first time using this particular mold. I've read recently that people have had issues with pieces not coming out of new molds easily. Either this is a really good mold, or perhaps the cocoa butter sprayed into the cavities allowed the pieces to come out very easily.

Either way, the pieces taste pretty good and they don't look to bad for a first attempt.

Grand Marnier Whole Pieces 1.jpg

• Like 1

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

I recently purchased a compressor and air brush. This is my first attempt at decorating molds before casting the shells. The piece is a "Grand Marnier Caramel". The mold is decorated with "sunrise orange" and yellow cocoa butters. The center is a 1:1 caramel with a bit of butter added. Melted, untempered milk chocolate is added to the cooled caramel in a 1:1 ratio with the weight of the completed caramel. 1% of Grand Marnier by weight is then added and I also put in a bit of orange oil to punch up the flavor.

I don't know if it is coincidental or not, but this is my first time using this particular mold. I've read recently that people have had issues with pieces not coming out of new molds easily. Either this is a really good mold, or perhaps the cocoa butter sprayed into the cavities allowed the pieces to come out very easily.

Either way, the pieces taste pretty good and they don't look to bad for a first attempt.

Those look really nice. I had problems with this mold the first time I used them, but have had good luck since. The only thing I have trouble with is that the air bubbles are really hard to get out. I have more trouble with that than cocoa butter sticking.

Those look really nice. I had problems with this mold the first time I used them, but have had good luck since. The only thing I have trouble with is that the air bubbles are really hard to get out. I have more trouble with that than cocoa butter sticking.

I had a few pieces with air bubbles as well. My usual method of aggressively tapping the sides of the mold with the handle of my spatula worked reasonably well. I had more issues with the milk chocolate itself behaving rather poorly. This was likely due to the weather conditions. Overall, I was very impressed by how cleanly the pieces came out of the molds. I only had to buff a few small places to wipe out excess cocoa butter that was left behind.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

• 3 weeks later...

So, the caterer I work for wanted to offer Valentine chocolates and since they wouldn't be under my name, I went with the easiest way to get them done. Transfer sheets and simple decorations. But, they still came out cute :).

valentine1.JPG

valentine2.JPG

• Like 1