• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confections! (2006-2012)

Kerry Beal

For tomorrow's GourdFest: Tostitos Kaki Mochi...addictive little critters.

Tostitos Kaki Mochi.JPG

Just googled to see if there was a recipe online in case someone wanted one...only to find that I had posted the recipe to eGullet some time back.

I have no idea of how I accomplished that curious error. Here is the recipe

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Oh my gosh-those look devine-I must make them! I just know I will love them. How funny about the recipe!!!

What are tostitoes? I don't know if I can get them but if I know what they are then maybe them or something similar? Is it like doritoes?

Edited by Lior (log)

Oh my gosh-those look devine-I must make them! I just know I will love them. How funny about the recipe!!!

What are tostitoes? I don't know if I can get them but if I know what they are then maybe them or something similar? Is it like doritoes?

Right. They are simply corn chips, in this case a bite-sized, light variety.

I have taken them before to the local GourdFest and they sit on the 'admission' table (admission is free) and they are gone so quickly. I print out dozens of little slips with the recipe on it and all the slips were taken a couple of years ago and I had to send the recipe to a few people who insisted. THe confection is 'wickedlly' good.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

here a some pictures of what i did at the last course in chocolatecenters that i took. this particular course we focused on non-allergy centers - nutfree, lactocsefree and healthy in general.

coldmixed dark ganache, digestive bottom and fresh passionfruit jelly top.

for the ganache i used dark chocolate, non lactocsecream and non lactocse butter - and then coldmixed it with a stickblender. this gave the ganache a very special texture aswell as a very short shelllife. the bottom of the shell is layered with sugarfree digestivecrumbs mixed with non lactocsebutter. to cap it i made a passionfruit jelly from fresh passionfruit and deciced to keep the seeds as they contain lots of flavour.

digestivebottomkallrrdg.jpg

lemongras & ginger

whitechocolate ganache infused with ginger & lemongrass tea.

lemongrasginger.jpg

lingonberry & gingerbread

one layer of crushed gingerbread cookies with with butter, one layer of white chocolate lingonberry ganache

pepparkaksbottomlingonb.jpg

sage

milk chocolate ganache infused with sage tea

sagej.jpg

st john´s worth

dark chocolate ganache infused with st john´s worth tea - using lactocsefree cream and butter. i dont like the transfersheet used here, but was curious to see what i would look like. now i know:)

stjonhsworth.jpg

mueslibar with gojiberries

mueslibarwgoji.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

/Magnus - happy amateur chocolatier

I have been working out the cost of making the stuff.

Enstrom's in Grand Junction sells their stuff $20 a lb online. Depending upon what I can buy at what price, it costs me about $15 to make one batch.

Oops. I have no idea of what one batch weighs. OK. I'll weigh it next time: 1 1/4 lbs sugar, 1 pound butter, 12 oz chocolate, 7 1/2 oz of almonds. Total of 3.75 lbs. I guess the finished product should weigh 3lbs? 2.75? I'll weigh it this time around. Had to learn how to make confections at 4000'.

Just weighed the finished batch: 2 lbs, 13 oz.

Interesting: at $20 per pound, that's close to $60 worth.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

kiss of passion - white chocolate/passionfruit ganache in a dark chocolate shell dusted with green & silver lusterdust.

dsc00358e.jpg

milkchocolate ganache infused with spicy rooibos tea, in a dark chocolate shell dusted with bronze lusterdust.

dsc00364ok.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

/Magnus - happy amateur chocolatier

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some new (mostly) holiday/fall flavors.

Pomegranate Caramel, Pumpkin, Caramel Apple, Cranberry, Honey Lavender, Gingerbread, Peppermint and Spiced Pear.

I've decided I have too many round molds, I need some variety.

011.JPG

Nothing exciting being made here...just the usual favorites of friends and so on: chocolate dipped candied ginger, chocolate-dipped candied orange peels, Chocolate covered toffee. Have to get the toffee out of the house before I eat anymore. :biggrin:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Pomegranate Caramel, Pumpkin, Caramel Apple, Cranberry, Honey Lavender, Gingerbread, Peppermint and Spiced Pear.

Gorgeous - I like the middle one best! Second is the orange and green and the white one on the left. Hell, I like the look of them all!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Gorgeous - I like the middle one best! Second is the orange and green and the white one on the left. Hell, I like the look of them all!

Thanks, Kerry. I'm having a hard time coming up with new decorating techniques the more flavors I add.

They are gorgeous! Would you be willing to share your recipe for pomegranate caramel?

Thanks

They are gorgeous! Would you be willing to share your recipe for pomegranate caramel?

Thanks

The pomegranate caramel is really good. I did a pomegranate ganache last year, and didn't like it all.

Here is a link to a basic recipe I found. I fiddled with it until I was happy with it and didn't use the same procedure. I also added some Pama liqueur.

http://www.tomric.com/content.aspx?title=recipe24

My website is finally being built, so I've been making chocolates for photos. I lucked out and found someone that is a photographer and web designer.

Here are a few more new ones:

Red Wine, Lavender/Vanilla, Tiramisu and Ginger.

009.JPG

For the Christmas collection, there was cranberry, gingerbread, egg nog and chestnut. Then I had a little bit of custom work to do, with Hazelnut, Patron XO Cafe and chipotle.

Chestnut

12 oz chocolate

24 oz chestnut spread (sweetened chestnut puree, basically)

6 oz butter

1 tbsp brandy

These turned out to be my favorite. Rich and decadent. Easy to make because I went with a commercial chestnut spread

I know this is dredging up a post from awfully long ago, but I made these truffles yesterday (omitting the brandy), and now I'm wondering about shelf life: how long can I keep them at room temperature? Any input is appreciated!

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

For the Christmas collection, there was cranberry, gingerbread, egg nog and chestnut. Then I had a little bit of custom work to do, with Hazelnut, Patron XO Cafe and chipotle.

Chestnut

12 oz chocolate

24 oz chestnut spread (sweetened chestnut puree, basically)

6 oz butter

1 tbsp brandy

These turned out to be my favorite. Rich and decadent. Easy to make because I went with a commercial chestnut spread

I know this is dredging up a post from awfully long ago, but I made these truffles yesterday (omitting the brandy), and now I'm wondering about shelf life: how long can I keep them at room temperature? Any input is appreciated!

Looks like they should be ok for at least a month.

• 3 months later...

Candy day for partner Barbara and me. Uncooked Tootsie Rolls...sickeningly sweet I thought but the kids at the library will love them. Original purpose was to find a recipe that the kids could make. And a newly posted recipe by Deensiebat: Macaroons with Chocolate Ganache and Almonds (aka Almond Joy Cookies), not quite confections, but more than half way there from cookies.

Tootsie Rolls.JPG

Macaroons with ganache.JPG

Oops. These photos are not the same scale. The Tootsie Rolls are quite small and the Macaroons much larger.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.