• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confections! (2006-2012)

Kerry Beal

I've been messing around with a camera that will take up close pictures, and here are a few of the experiments.

Chipotle Vanilla Caramels, Honey Walnut Caramels, Peppermint & Passion Fruit Heart

Chipotle.JPG

Honey Walnut.JPG

288.JPG

020.JPG

Please tell me those aren't hand-dipped. I may cry.

Yeah, those are hand dipped. Probably my least favorite thing to do, that's why caramels are the only slabbed thing I do right now.

I borrowed a small digital Canon camera from a friend that has a super up close setting. It works pretty well. She invested in a $900 Canon Rebel that we used to take photos for my website. But this little camera is not bad.

Yeah, those are hand dipped. Probably my least favorite thing to do, that's why caramels are the only slabbed thing I do right now.

I borrowed a small digital Canon camera from a friend that has a super up close setting. It works pretty well. She invested in a $900 Canon Rebel that we used to take photos for my website. But this little camera is not bad.

Robyn,

I tried looking at your website but it came up as not existing.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Robyn,

I tried looking at your website but it came up as not existing.

Still a work in progress. Photos were one hang up, and those are being worked on. Hopefully soon. I have a page on Facebook that I use for info right now.

Wow. They look amazing! Every time I dip something I end up with little notches @ the bottom where the fork was.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

Was playing around in the candy kitchen - it was that, or shovel more snow - oh wait, 11 more inches on the way tonight - in the meantime, sorry the pictures aren't as beautiful as RWood - amazing photo's and amazing chocolates, I'm embarrased to show mine

I tried using my new airbrush to do some stuff for Valentines Day - The pyramids are chocolate/cinnamon;

IMG_5391.JPG

IMG_5394.JPG

IMG_5400.JPG

Good Heavens, sir! They are beautiful.

Today I gave away chocolate-coated toffee in which the chocolate had come away from the toffee. Now that is cause for embarrassment...if I were so inclined.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Here is what I have been doing since Saturday. Marshmallows, vanilla bean, rasberry and passion fruit with toasted coconut, and 8 different truffles.

I used a close up on my camera and wow it shows every nick and smudge! :rolleyes:

IMG_0131.JPG

Rena

Edited by rena (log)

I used a close up on my camera and wow it shows every nick and smudge! :rolleyes:

And just who is going to complain about the nicks and smudges and refuse to eat them? :raz:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Back to making the Enstrom Kopy Kat Toffee. Made the toffee. Poured it out onto a silpat lined rimmed cookie pan. Scored and wiped the excess oil out of the cracks. Broke the pieces very nicely.

cut in the pan.jpg

Uh oh. The silpat was slick with butter and so were the backs of the individual pieces. Probably should have flipped it first and wiped it and then broken the pieces.

cut pieces.jpg

Eventually the pieces will be laid out and brushed on one side with tempered chocolate. Then when the chocolate is hard, I'll dip them, chocolated side down, into the chocolate bowl.

But what to do next with the greasy pieces? Wipe each individual piece? Wipe and dip into cocoa or cornstarch or a mixture and then shake excess off in a sieve? Other?

Thanks. (BTW, you know how it tastes. :wub: )

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

i'd dust in cocoa powder prior to coating.

Thanks. I'll report back on how it works. Last batch made was dusted in cocoa powder, but I wasn't careful enough on one side to dust it lightly enough and the chocolate didn't adhere well. It will be easier to remove any excess cocoa this time.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

they look fabulous-yum

If you have never tried them, you just have to. I am NOT a chocoholic (contrary to the beliefs of some) nor a candy freak...but...that toffee is SO good. Too good. I'm giving it all away tomorrow. I'll find the URL: Enstrom's Toffee Recipe

The only change I make is to use tempered dark chocolate instead of chips and to dust with cocoa. Oh, and this time to score and break into pieces. I've been to the Enstrom's factory but they weren't making when we were there. Oh, and it's very expensive to buy...very...and not that cheap to make with an entire pound of butter per batch.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Darienne, I just checked out the recipe-looks easy as pie. Some questions:

1. you score and then break and then dust in cocoa powder?

2. The you brush with tempered chocolate to make a foot?

3. Then you dip the whole thing in tempered chocolate?

4. Then you sprinkle with nuts? Which ones? roasted? raw? chopped or crumbled? Since you have made them a few times...

thanks!

Darienne, I just checked out the recipe-looks easy as pie. Some questions:

1. you score and then break and then dust in cocoa powder?

2. The you brush with tempered chocolate to make a foot?

3. Then you dip the whole thing in tempered chocolate?

4. Then you sprinkle with nuts? Which ones? roasted? raw? chopped or crumbled? Since you have made them a few times...

thanks!

Sorry, I did not get back at once. Just so overwhelmed by the fact that we might actually meet.

1. Yes. except that next time, I'll flip the entire thing, scored, before I break it to wipe it more easily.

2. I am going to this afternoon.

3. Yes

4. Finely chopped almonds. Don't have to be roasted or roasted slightly.

Yes, I have made it a few times, and each time have done one additional mistake.

* Earlier, we did not score it, but broke it after the chocolate was put on. The chocolate did not stay well.

* Then we scored it, dusted with cocoa...Kerry's suggestion...and the chocolate stayed better.Then we broke it easily and some of the chocolate stayed and some didn't. Used too much cocoa on one side. Hard to remove excess 'dust' on such a big surface.

* now I have scored it, broken it, and then discovered that flipping it and de-oiling it would have been better before I broke it...which it does very nicely.

* now I am going to put it right into the cocoa, and then into a sieve with vigorous action.

* then a sort of footing...not a really careful one as in truffles.

* and then dipping.

I haven't decided whether to go to the nut stage or not.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.