• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confections! (2006-2012)

Kerry Beal

I've had the same problem with the acetate favor boxes...  :angry:  which you usually don't discover until you go to prep a shipment - often long after you got the boxes.

I didn't order an entire case of the small rounds, so they had to repack those for me, and they all arrived in perfect condition. I think the manufacturer needs to use better boxes!

Actually, I've had pretty good luck with the small rounds. I order by the case and they're packed pretty well.

I looked at the larger rounds a few months ago but was told that I would probably want to special order plastic inserts/trays to keep the chocolates in place. Didn't want to go that route.

But with your method, Tammy, looks like the larger rounds could work. Thanks!

Edited by John DePaula (log)

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Actually, I've had pretty good luck with the small rounds.  I order by the case and they're packed pretty well.

I looked at the larger rounds a few months ago but was told that I would probably want to special order plastic inserts/trays to keep the chocolates in place.  Didn't want to go that route.

But with your method, Tammy, looks like the larger rounds could work.  Thanks!

Happy to help, John! Does this mean you won't mind me borrowing your idea of selling 5 in the little round?

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Actually, I've had pretty good luck with the small rounds.  I order by the case and they're packed pretty well.

I looked at the larger rounds a few months ago but was told that I would probably want to special order plastic inserts/trays to keep the chocolates in place.  Didn't want to go that route.

But with your method, Tammy, looks like the larger rounds could work.  Thanks!

Happy to help, John! Does this mean you won't mind me borrowing your idea of selling 5 in the little round?

Not at all; have at it! :biggrin:

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Indeed a great collection and great idea for the packaging. I like the larger item in the middle.

For Easter I tryed to do something on the easy side, since I am in the middle of the business making ( ahhhh I am lost sometimes :-P ).

Anyway this is my collection.

gallery_44494_2818_7749.jpg

gallery_44494_2818_31824.jpg

Vanessa

Too cute, loving the little hatchling! The colours are fabulous.

Also Tammy missed commenting before, but your collection is looking wonderful this year.

Thanks, Kerry!

And Vanessa - gorgeous as usual!

Can you talk about how you decorated the flat top pyramids? That looks like a really neat effect, but I can't see it well enough to guess at what you did.

And I love your ribbon! I've been thinking about getting some custom ribbon done too, but haven't ordered any yet.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Thank you guys :wub:

Tammy, I just got the ribbon , I have been thinking about it for a while , so I decided to try.

I also ordered some tags to attach to the boxes , bags etc, with my logo and little company description plus info, I figured is cheaper than having custom made boxes for now, but still nice effect.

The half pyramids are just hand painted with couple of different colors , the teal/green ones I used a fine point brush , made the lines , then add some pearl luster dust and add some more color on the sides with a brush ( those were actually not for my Easter collection but for a party , irish cream , thats why the green :-P).

Vanessa

Beautiful Kerry. I would really like to attempt to learn to do molded chocolates well someday. I've played around with them enough to know that it's not a skill that's going to come easily to me and I'll never be at the level of most of the folks who post here but I still would like to give it a serious go at some point.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Vanessa! Your collection is lovely! So classy! The colors of the box along with the ribbon are deep and luscious and then the gold and browns add so much more depth- just fantastic! Are the gold lines and wiggly curves a transfer sheet? I am really eating them with my eyes. The squares with the gold lines and those with the curvey lines are my favorite! Wow! I would buy that without thinking, in the blink of an eye!

Beautiful Kerry. I would really like to attempt to learn to do molded chocolates well someday. I've played around with them enough to know that it's not a skill that's going to come easily to me and I'll never be at the level of most of the folks who post here but I still would like to give it a serious go at some point.

Glad you like them. You need to come and take a class with me when you come south some time.

So Kerry -

How was the morning show appearance today?  Were they as impressed with your collection as we all are?

Much to my horror, just after I got there, the cameraman picked up one of my big bunnies with his bare hands and moved it. I nearly spit.

The show went well though, I felt like a tart with all the makeup on, but the camera was relatively kind. No major screwups, one bunny with it's ears lopped off but that's all.

Hopefully it will fill all my classes and sell a few DVD's. Time will tell.

So Kerry -

How was the morning show appearance today?  Were they as impressed with your collection as we all are?

Much to my horror, just after I got there, the cameraman picked up one of my big bunnies with his bare hands and moved it. I nearly spit.

The show went well though, I felt like a tart with all the makeup on, but the camera was relatively kind. No major screwups, one bunny with it's ears lopped off but that's all.

Hopefully it will fill all my classes and sell a few DVD's. Time will tell.

When you get a copy, why don't you post it somewhere so we can see it.

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

So Kerry -

I watched and Kerry looked great and was very professional in a nice, friendly sort of way. The news crew were definitely drooling -- both those filming Kerry and the anchors in the newsroom.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

How lovely, Kerry! Can you tell a bit about what you did? How exciting and fun.

I know exactly how you felt when the cameraman manhandled your bunny!! At the one festival a dirty looking guy walked up to my stand and grabbed a chocolate and popped it into his mouth. When I told him that I serve and package the chocolates (pretending to assume he was still going to pay), he told me it was just a taste! I told him to go to the cafe nearby to taste some of their food too.

Edited by Lior (log)

LOL Manhaldled the bunny, thats too much!

Some people unfortunately have no clue of how much work goes into these creations. But we know and appreaciate and wish were there and follow one of your classes ( and maybe I just have to plan a trip there and have a one at one 3 days full immersion class with you Kerry).I hope we will be able to see the show somewhere or something.And I hope and wish that you have the return you want and deserve :wub:

Vanessa

Hi All, i just wanted to say that i have been following this thread for a bit now, a lot of catching up to do, and you all are so amazing it really makes me want to brush the dust off all my old chocolate making skills!

It has been years since, i have had to do chocolates, and you all are so talented, that i just wanted to say how much i really appreciate all your beautiful work... and thanks so much for the inspiration.

Eric

How lovely, Kerry! Can you tell a bit about what you did? How exciting and fun.

I know exactly how you felt when the cameraman manhandled your bunny!! At the one festival a dirty looking guy walked up to my stand and grabbed a chocolate and popped it into his mouth. When I told him that I serve and package the chocolates (pretending to assume he was still going to pay), he told me it was just a taste! I told him to go to the cafe nearby to taste some of their food too.

The local news and current events show runs from 5 am to 9 am and on some days they intersperse a special interest item like mine. So before valentines days there is generally a local lingerie store showing off their wares and giving folks ideas of what to purchase for the occasion.

In this case I just set up in one of the spots I teach - a wonderful kitchenware store called "le Chef Complet" and every 20 minutes or so the reporter would ask me some questions and I would show what I was working on at that time. Each little segment was about 2 1/2 minutes.

So in the first I explained quickly about tempering - minimal details, and showed tempering some dark chocolate on a marble slab. In the second I filled a mold to make milk chocolate shells, took already cooled shells and piped some filling in, then took a third mold - that already had piped filling in it - and backed it off. In another I unmolded the plates of chocolates, in another I unmolded the bunnies and ducks I'd molded. I also had the opportunity to talk about my DVD's and upcoming classes.

The cameraman was actually a real sweetheart, just didn't realize that putting his hot little hands all over the body of my bunny wasn't in it's best interest. He didn't have very adventurous taste I discovered when I gave him one of the passionfruit and bonito chocolates molded in a nice little dark chocolate fish shell. He stopped short of spitting it out, but he only ate part. He had no hesitation with any of the other chocolates I offered him.

We are just checking with the station to see if it is legal to put the segments on-line and if so, I'll find some way to post a link to it.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

putting his hot little hands all over the body of my bunny

Now that is a great description!!! :biggrin: It sounds incredible. Maybe Vanessa and I will come for intensive lessons at the same time!! I am thinking of coming to the states during winter time. I have a hard of hearing cousin married to one of the same living in Vancouver so maybe I can visit her as well. Then I can show my youngest daughter what snow looks like, see some North American chocolatiers and learn! Last year I visited at this time of the year and went to taste Daniel's chocolates in Rockford Illinois. It was delicious. He has a lovely place there. At this point it is just food for thought!

How can anyone not like your fish chocolate! As we say here - Chutztpah! The cheek of it! I got lucky enough to taste some of Kerry's caramels and fruit pate and so I assume that all her products are as good!

Today was my second-ever attempt at molded chocolates- both 3-d and filled. I was determined as all hell to have handcrafted chocolates on the Easter table, but given the level of bad the first attempt turned out to be, I was getting worried.

The gift boxes are passionfruit white chocolate; the maple leaves are cherry white chocolate.

Many, many thanks to Kerry for use of the molds, and for recipes, instruction, and general camaraderie!

gallery_52844_5147_8240.jpg

Patty