• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confections! (2006-2012)

Kerry Beal

What a cool idea!  But I don't quite understand how you'll use these since you'll want the reverse...right?  Although I see great potential for dessert decorations.

Yes, but the expensive ones give you exactly the same thing - that is, the decorative side is on the reverse!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Now I get it!  What we are seeing there is just a thin layer of chocolate that has taken the shape of the knob.  I thought we were looking at the side of the chocolate that had contact with the knob - but we're actually seeing the side that did NOT contact the knob...right?  I can definitely see the flower.

Actually it's the side that was in contact with the knob. The trick seems to be to find knobs that are as convex as possible to aid the removal process. Each of those chocolate pieces is actually concave, but it's hard to tell that from a 2D picture.

I know when I first looked at the Magyfleurs I wondered how the surface was going to make a 'proper' flower.

I don't have pics because they are all gone, but i made the hub giant bourbon peanut butter cups for Valentine's Day and they were a hit--I even liked them, and I'm not a reese's cup lover....

I used silicone tart molds that have a wavy edge--smoothed melted semi sweet chocolate over the bottoms and sides and let it harden.

then I mixed peanut butter and confectioners sugar together--the standard recipe seems to be 2:1--I used less sugar--probably between a 1/4 and a 1/3 cup--I kept mixing and tasting--I wanted less sweetness for these than the usual.

then I started mixing in bourbon--I added as much as I could without the mixture getting soupy--I wanted a strong bourbon taste for these.

after smoothing the filling on I covered the top with more melted chocolate--stuck out on the porch to chill and then bagged for giving--

after aging for a day or two these were really delish--rich and buttery and bourbony--and easy as pie to make!

Zoe

This is my first go at a chocolate showpiece which I've done for Easter. Its been tricky working on only the cooler days (in Australia) but I'm happy with the results. Not perfect (or even close) but it'll do for a first attempt without any prior instruction . . .

This is the showpiece . . .

gallery_45604_5766_325542.jpg

The solid disc is a white base with milk marble. The egg stand has gold luster/metallic dust and is made from the bottom of a plastic coke bottle - thanks JPW . . .

gallery_45604_5766_107963.jpg

The main egg (which is removable from the stand - easy to eat) . . .

gallery_45604_5766_378975.jpg

The base eggs on a marbled disc done with a milk base and white/dark marbling . . .

gallery_45604_5766_352550.jpg

Loving the marbled egg.  Is that done with powders, cocoa butter, then the heat gun?

Hi Kerry,

I kept it pretty simple and just sprinkled some coloured powders into the mould and covered with white chocolate which I then swirled around the mould a little before spreading it around with the back of a spoon.

The only trick is don't use too much powder. I did for my first attempt and when I demoulded the egg there was a patch where the chocolate hadn't melted the powder which just crumbled off the egg (my wife was happy to eat the evidence of that one)

I have found the following sources for packaging.

Nashville Wraps

Package Nakazawa USA, Inc.

http://www.packagenakazawa.com/page005.html

I heard about Benjamin Box Company (custom work). Nothing on their website about chocolate packaging.

Glerup Revere

http://www.glerup.com/

Putian Honfetion Commerce & Trade Co., Ltd. (China)

http://honfetion.en.alibaba.com/product/20...x_Gift_Box.html

Johnathan Virginia Inc. JVI (does Jacques Torres, Garrison, etc.)

http://www.jvi.com/Products/Luxury%20Packa...93/Default.aspx

• 2 weeks later...

gallery_34671_3115_8748.jpg

I've been busy over the last couple of weeks making up some easter stuff because I have a TV appearance coming up just before Easter. I essentially made one of almost every easter type mold that I own. A few of the eggs are still in their dollar store molds to keep them safe until they are unpacked.

Tonight a friend came over to help figure out the layout for me. He's the fellow who helps me when I need baskets to look their best. I've taken a bunch of pictures and Anna and I will be attempting to duplicate his layout next week. Of course we will add some easter grass under and around things.

After the TV thing, I'll pack them all into bags and hopefully sell them before the holiday.

gallery_34671_3115_8748.jpg

I've been busy over the last couple of weeks making up some easter stuff because I have a TV appearance coming up just before Easter.  I essentially made one of almost every easter type mold that I own.  A few of the eggs are still in their dollar store molds to keep them safe until they are unpacked.

Tonight a friend came over to help figure out the layout for me.  He's the fellow who helps me when I need baskets to look their best.  I've taken a bunch of pictures and Anna and I will be attempting to duplicate his layout next week.  Of course we will add some easter grass under and around things. 

After the TV thing, I'll pack them all into bags and hopefully sell them before the holiday.

Wow, that's gorgeous Kerry!

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Holy Crap Kerry!  I'd love to see your mold collection, if that's just Easter stuff!  How fun.  Good luck with the TV spot.

Those were just the ones in the house! There are at least as many more out on loan - all the good ones actually - I'm using the cracked, glued together ones. I have a fair number of christmas and misc molds too.

Here's my Easter collection:

gallery_7436_3666_9091.jpg

And a close up of the large box:

gallery_7436_3666_4105.jpg

The egg in the middle is a turtle egg - i filled it with salty caramel and pressed half a pecan in before backing off.

The white/yellow one are lemon-rosemary (variation on Grewling's lemon-mint). The white polka dots are hazelnut praline (from Schott). The red/pink splatters are raspberry. The blue swirl is "Chai Spice" (actually an infusion of Republic of Tea's cardamom-cinnamon herbal tea, which has cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, pink peppercorns, star anise and probably a couple other things i'm forgetting).

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

The egg in the middle is a turtle egg - i filled it with salty caramel and pressed half a pecan in before backing off.

The white/yellow one are lemon-rosemary (variation on Grewling's lemon-mint). The white polka dots are hazelnut praline (from Schott). The red/pink splatters are raspberry. The blue swirl is "Chai Spice" (actually an infusion of Republic of Tea's cardamom-cinnamon herbal tea, which has cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, pink peppercorns, star anise and probably a couple other things i'm forgetting).

Tammy, your chocolates look absolutely beautiful.

Did you use an air brush to achieve those colors ?

What type of air brush and compressor do you use.

Carol

Thanks, Carol and Lior.

Carol, i use a bunch of different techniques. In this round the only thing I used the airbrush for was the yellow ones. The white speckles I did with a toothbrush. The blue swirl is just brushed on. The red/pink splatters are just splattered with a paint brush. And the egg was me painting random swirls! I wasn't sure how that would turn out, but I ended up really really pleased.

I use the Badger 250 airbrush that referenced in the "Showroom Finish" thread. I can't remember the exact model of compressor that I'm using right now, but it's a mid-size one also from Badger. The 1100, maybe? I got it used on eBay for $90!

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Tammy! Clever Girl! I think the chocolates are gorgeous!

I've looked at those larger rounds and thought that the chocolates would just be a mess sliding around in the box; but putting the smaller round in the middle is genius!

Wonderful presentation!

John DePaula
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Tammy!  Clever Girl!  I think the chocolates are gorgeous! 

I've looked at those larger rounds and thought that the chocolates would just be a mess sliding around in the box; but putting the smaller round in the middle is genius!

Wonderful presentation!

Thanks, John!

Knowing I was going to have one larger piece, I had to come up with a new packaging solution for Easter, so I requested some samples from Glerup-Revere, including the two rounds. I had tried just putting the bunny/egg in the middle of the round, but then it just got lost in there amidst the other pieces. It was my husband who gets the credit for coming up with the box in a box concept. And even better - you can use either the top or bottom of the small round.

One warning, though - the large rounds are not boxed well. I have to call Glerup today, because almost all of them had some damage, and a full 25 of my box of 60 are so badly crushed as to be non-useable. Some of that damage was probably incurred in shipping (the box was a little crushed when it arrived) but the style of box they used is also a problem.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Tammy!  Clever Girl!  I think the chocolates are gorgeous! 

Wonderful presentation!

Thanks, John!

Knowing I was going to have one larger piece, I had to come up with a new packaging solution for Easter, so I requested some samples from Glerup-Revere, including the two rounds. I had tried just putting the bunny/egg in the middle of the round, but then it just got lost in there amidst the other pieces. It was my husband who gets the credit for coming up with the box in a box concept. And even better - you can use either the top or bottom of the small round.

One warning, though - the large rounds are not boxed well. I have to call Glerup today, because almost all of them had some damage, and a full 25 of my box of 60 are so badly crushed as to be non-useable. Some of that damage was probably incurred in shipping (the box was a little crushed when it arrived) but the style of box they used is also a problem.

I've had the same problem with the acetate favor boxes... :angry: which you usually don't discover until you go to prep a shipment - often long after you got the boxes.

John DePaula
--------------------

I've had the same problem with the acetate favor boxes...  :angry:  which you usually don't discover until you go to prep a shipment - often long after you got the boxes.

I didn't order an entire case of the small rounds, so they had to repack those for me, and they all arrived in perfect condition. I think the manufacturer needs to use better boxes!

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40