• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confections! (2006-2012)

Kerry Beal

gallery_7436_3666_13425.jpg

Here's my artsy "chocolates in sunshine" photo attempt.

I had an order for 5 dozen chocolates for a 80th birthday party for an Italian man.  His daughter asked me to create some chocolates based on Italian liqueurs.  I ended up using Amaretto (purple), Frangelico (gold flecks) and Sambuca (yellow/red/orange).  Production worked out really well, because I was able to piggyback a few other orders on that day.  The biggest of which included 8 boxes of 4, which meant I needed a fourth flavor.  In keeping with the liqueur theme, I made one of my favorite pieces, flavored with Patron XO Cafe, a coffee-infused tequila.  That's the gold brushed Mayan embossed piece.

I thought the Amaretto and Sambuca worked out really well, but I was a little disappointed with the Frangelico ones.  I wanted to mix the textures up a bit, so I put some ground hazelnuts in, and while they're tasty, you can't really taste the Frangelico.  You can feel the alcoholic heat on the finish, so I don't thing more is the answer.  Our current working theory is that subtle flavors of the Frangelico are being hidden by the more overt flavors of the toasted hazelnuts.  Live and learn!

Instead of using ground hazelnuts, you might try Gianduja (a chococlate with ground hazelnuts) for the hazelnut flavor. It has the taste you want but much more subtle.

Mark

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

Tammylc, I can hardly wait to see your finished "museum pieces"!  They are going to be quite extraordinary.  I realize you're not making the molds yourself, but it is something I have wanted to try.  I noticed that the San Francisco Baking Institute (where I've taken several courses) was offering a class on making your own molds -- I think it was supposed to be sometime this month?

Anyway, I love your chocolates! :wub:

Khilde

Making your own mold is quite easy. You can get food grade silicone casting materials at:

http://www.culinart.net/silicone.html

They have a little in the way of instruction, but more comprehensive instructions for molding can be found at:

http://www.hirstarts.com/moldmake/moldmaking.html

They show various techniques for copying different types of objects. While they use non-food grade materials the techniques are the same.

David

What about sourcing the silicone thru a dental supply place?

Tammylc, I can hardly wait to see your finished "museum pieces"!  They are going to be quite extraordinary.  I realize you're not making the molds yourself, but it is something I have wanted to try.  I noticed that the San Francisco Baking Institute (where I've taken several courses) was offering a class on making your own molds -- I think it was supposed to be sometime this month?

Anyway, I love your chocolates! :wub:

Khilde

Making your own mold is quite easy. You can get food grade silicone casting materials at:

http://www.culinart.net/silicone.html

They have a little in the way of instruction, but more comprehensive instructions for molding can be found at:

http://www.hirstarts.com/moldmake/moldmaking.html

They show various techniques for copying different types of objects. While they use non-food grade materials the techniques are the same.

David

What about sourcing the silicone thru a dental supply place?

That's a great idea, should be food grade for sure. Wonder how it compares in price to the Smooth-On stuff?

Tammy , you might want to try a different chocolate to pair the Frangelico, something not too strong ,since Frangelico is very subtle.Maybe a good white ( I am going to get some El rey for my next order ).

Here some of Father's day chocolates, I thought I was done , but more orders cam in , so here they are.

gallery_44494_2818_14244.jpg

Mint marshmallow towers,Imperial stout (gold bronze and blue, this is an omage to a local brewery Left Hand ),Irish coffe creams ( coffe cup )Pecan sea salt caramel ( dipped ones) and Maple 9 maple leaf :-P.

gallery_44494_2818_7006.jpg

gallery_44494_2818_9603.jpg

This were some of Mother's day boxes.

Edited by Desiderio (log)

Vanessa

I'm really loving the look of the round praline with the blue and pink stripes. Is the background white chocolate or another coloured cocoa butter?

I have been making Dark and Stormies over on the Chocolates and Confections by Peter Greweling thread. I decided to make half a batch using the 1/2 inch bars. Since the full batch says to set up the bars 12" X 12", I was all set to adjust them to 6" X 6" for a half batch, when some vestige of the math I'd learned so long ago came back to me.

It did require input from hubby, who quickly figured out that 12" by 12" is 144 square inches and 6" by 6" is 36 square inches. From there I was able to figure out that I needed to set my bars 9" by 8" to get the 72 sqare inches I needed. I suppose if my brain had been working correctly in the first place I would have realized 6" by 12" was appropriate for half.

Thank god you don't need math for medical school.

*snip*

I thought the Amaretto and Sambuca worked out really well, but I was a little disappointed with the Frangelico ones.  I wanted to mix the textures up a bit, so I put some ground hazelnuts in, and while they're tasty, you can't really taste the Frangelico.  You can feel the alcoholic heat on the finish, so I don't thing more is the answer.  Our current working theory is that subtle flavors of the Frangelico are being hidden by the more overt flavors of the toasted hazelnuts.  Live and learn!

Tammy,

Those pumas are gorgeous!

Have you tried reducing some Frangelico, or flashing off some of the alcohol as in a flambe? That might help get a stronger concentration of the flavor, but with less alcohol.

I'm just throwing ideas out, don't know how well they'd work. lol

Shai, santoku-wielding dabbler in many things culinary.

Put together a couple of things this weekend.

gallery_34671_3115_22552.jpg

Passion fruit pate de fruit.

gallery_34671_3115_16749.jpg

Passion fruit/mango caramels.

gallery_34671_3115_5260.jpg

Dark and Stormie centers, look like they have set up very firmly, we'll see how they cut tomorrow.

Kerry , Yummy!

How the passion fruit /mango caramels turned out?

Tammy , yes the purses are very cute ,I ordered few boxes from them ( since they are very close to me ) to check them out.I was little disappointed cause , you have to assemble them and some of them arent functional and quite pricey.I ended up using the other purses from speciality box , I really love those ones.

Vanessa

I made white chocolate-coated milk chocolate truffles today, and I'm quite happy with them, especially after having a number of recent misadventures in molding chocolates!

I made the ganache on Saturday, then scooped and formed them into balls yesterday, and left them out overnight to dry and crust. I tempered around 600g of Cacao Barry white chocolate using the seed method (melted the chocolate in a Pyrex bowl in the microwave, seeded with about 20% of total end weight of chocolate), and I was quite patient this time, adding the seed and giving it a good stir, then leaving the chocolate to take its time to get down to around 86F. I tested the temper by smearing a bit on some baking paper, and after checking it had firmed up several minutes later, it was dipping time! I used a spiral dipping fork, which I found to be a lot easier to use than a regular dinner fork!

gallery_20195_4713_728877.jpg

If I had any criticisms, it would be that the chocolate was obviously a bit too thick. You can see this simply by looking at the truffles! Could this be because the chocolate was overseeded, or because my working temperature was too low? I didn't bother to check the temp again after I started dipping, but I did chuck the bowl in the microwave for a very short burst just to get the temp up slightly.

Thanks for any tips! :smile:

Those look great!

I found the spiral form much easier to use when I first started ( with round centers).Yours came out great no foot , so good job.Umm I havent touch a chocolate in probably 3 weeks :wacko:

Vanessa

I made white chocolate-coated milk chocolate truffles today, and I'm quite happy with them, especially after having a number of recent misadventures in molding chocolates!

I made the ganache on Saturday, then scooped and formed them into balls yesterday, and left them out overnight to dry and crust. I tempered around 600g of Cacao Barry white chocolate using the seed method (melted the chocolate in a Pyrex bowl in the microwave, seeded with about 20% of total end weight of chocolate), and I was quite patient this time, adding the seed and giving it a good stir, then leaving the chocolate to take its time to get down to around 86F. I tested the temper by smearing a bit on some baking paper, and after checking it had firmed up several minutes later, it was dipping time! I used a spiral dipping fork, which I found to be a lot easier to use than a regular dinner fork!

gallery_20195_4713_728877.jpg

If I had any criticisms, it would be that the chocolate was obviously a bit too thick. You can see this simply by looking at the truffles! Could this be because the chocolate was overseeded, or because my working temperature was too low? I didn't bother to check the temp again after I started dipping, but I did chuck the bowl in the microwave for a very short burst just to get the temp up slightly.

Thanks for any tips!  :smile:

I can see the chocolate was thick, but those still look fabulous. I think they look better for the thick layer than they would with a thin layer.

Kerry , Yummy!

How the passion fruit /mango caramels turned out?

Tammy , yes the purses are very cute ,I ordered few boxes from them ( since they are very close to me ) to check them out.I was little disappointed cause , you have to assemble them and some of them arent functional and quite pricey.I ended up using the other purses from speciality box , I really love those ones.

Kerry,

What recipe did you use for the passion fruit pates? They look fabulous.  I did another batch of passion fruit marshmallows and I must admit, they are delicious.

Ok, so finished off my Dark and Stormies tonight. The texture was perfect for cutting WITH MY NEW GUITAR.

gallery_34671_3115_18128.jpg

Applied my 'thin' foot layer, not very even as you can see.

gallery_34671_3115_8791.jpg

Cut one way, then lifted the ganache with the thin metal lifter and turned it 90 degrees.

gallery_34671_3115_5768.jpg

Changed the frame and cut the other way.

gallery_34671_3115_15847.jpg

Finished dipping in dark chocolate. As you can see my dipping is getting better, but I am a long way from Alana's perfect technique.

Texture is amazing, smooth and creamy. The flavour with the dark chocolate enrobing is also excellent.

• Like 1