• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktails with rose water

Kent Wang

Webtender only turns up three hits, only one of which is alcoholic.

I just made a gin and tonic with a bit of rosewater for a post-breakfast digestif. It's pretty good. Any other ideas?

I think garnishing with an actual rose petal or two would be really cool.

I think rose is a good match with berries. I like to muddle some raspberries with rose and lemon juice, add gin, simple syrup, ice, and top with soda or strain and serve up. Or I use a fruit infused vodka in place of the gin (red currants were the latest).

regards,

trillium

The Cortas brand rosewater you find at Middle Eastern and Indian stores is pretty strong and a little goes a long way. I've found that making a rosewater simple syrup (just stir a little rosewater into already made 1:1 simple until it's flowery enough for you) seems to be the best way to incorporate this into cocktails.

It goes well with gin (particularly Hendrick's), vodka and citrus flavors. I even used a little with some tropical tea infused rum I'd made and made a floral daiquiri once that was quite delicious.

You can actually purchase edible tea roses which make a lovely garnish for drinks containing rosewater. They look really lovely in the drinks.

I'll get a photo if I can and post it.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 2 months later...

I've found that rose water works really well with champagne cocktails.

I remember one bar in london (hush i think), that used to serve a cocktail that was simply a glass of champagne with rose water and fresh strawberries. Very simple, very good! :biggrin:

RM

i´d rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy! Fred Allen.

• 1 year later...

My wife is crazy about rose anything. Although it's not my favorite, she's been having me sub the simple syrup in her margaritas for the Rose Syrup made by Monin. It also makes a really pretty cocktail...

I have found that in general, silver tequila plays well with rose.

• 1 year later...

Evan Zimmerman, from Portland, made a nice cocktail when he was down guest bartending at Alembic.

Gin sour with rose flower water, aperol, and egg white.

I forget what it was called and don't have exact proportions.

I would guess: 1 1/2 oz gin, 1/2 oz aperol, 3/4 oz lemon, 1/2 oz simple syrup, 1/2 oz egg white, drop or two of rose flower water.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I invented a drink called the blooming lotus:

Rim a glass with bitters, shake gin, grenadine & a few drops of rosewater and then top with a tiny bit of tonic.

It's got an interesting balance, floral and bitter and sweet at the same time.

PS: I am a guy.

I was having some trouble finding Creme de Violette for my Aviations. In lieu of that essential ingredient, I threw in ~1/8 teaspoon of rose water. It really wasn't spectacular, but it worked in a pinch...

The Creme de Violette has a nice minerallity to it that the rose water just doesn't capture...