• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saturday lunch

Apologies if this topic has already been rehearsed, but I'm looking for somewhere great for Saturday lunch. Most of the high-end places (Aikens, RHR, Greenhouse, Le Gavroche) appear to be closed for lunch on Saturdays. Also, I'd rather not pay evening alc prices at lunch-time if possible! Any tips on good places with Saturday lunch menus?

The Capital is open Saturday lunch and does a £29.50 lunch menu with 4/5 choices at each course. Although it's not quite ALC standard or ambition, they don't run this alongside a higher-priced lunchtime ALC so the execution is excellent.

• 3 months later...

I'm in london this saturday for lunch and am looking for somewhere good but a bit more relaxed than the Capital or high end hotels.

I'm considering St John but would welcome any other recommendations for something <£35. I'll be at Earls Court but will travel.

thanks..........ross

If you are at Earls Court, I would head down to Chiswick. Le Vacherin in Chiswick does a fantastic lunch, 2 courses £15, 3 for £20. Otherwise there is an incredible dearth or restaurants along Chiswick High Road such as Sam's Brasserie (named best neighbourhood restaurant in the Time Out Awards 2006), High Road House etc.

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

Sam's Brasserie (named best neighbourhood restaurant in the Time Out Awards 2006)

Went to Sam's a few weeks ago, on the back of the Time Out recommendation. Overcooked fish, mean portions, gunky salad, grasping prices, plastic bread and little tubs of hydrogenated margarine that the waitress swore point-blank was butter. I can only assume they were having an extremely bad day, as its obvious failings had not put off the crowds of Felicitys and Ruperts, all with their mewling little Emilys and Jacks.

La Trompette, also in Chiswick, does a Saturday three-course for £25 that is so much better it's almost comical.

Edited by naebody (log)

La Tormpette is another good restaurant in Chiswick, but I have to say I prefer Le Vacherin - it is cheaper, and I generally prefer the food. I must admit that I do have a personal connection with the restaurant as I was visiting so often (it is right by where I live) that I now work in the kitchens on Saturdays.

Sorry to hear about your experience at Sam's naebody, it is usually ok, but I think Time Out award may have been a bit much. The food is generally good, but the service can sometimes slip up and for what they are offering it is on the pricey side. Sam Harisson the owner is a lovely guy though and works tremendously hard. Great venue for families with small children as it has an area for them to play - rare for an upmarket brasserie.

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

Hi Offcentre

I would make it easy on yourself and wander down the Earls Court road to lovely Holland park for a ramble in the autumn sunshine, before heading to the The Belvedere, which is right in the middle of the park. Lovely atmos, good food and they do a nice set lunch menu at the weekends...

Edited by Izabel_blue (log)

Elizabeth, AKA Izabel_blue

I would make it easy on yourself and wander down the Earls Court road to lovely Holland park for a ramble in the autumn sunshine, before heading to the The Belvedere, which is right in the middle of the park.

I second that suggestion and would add that you are also two tube stops and a short walk from The Ledbury in Notting Hill where I recently had an outstanding meal. They have a set menu at lunch as well and a great wine list.

I didn't see these last two posts before I left for london, which is a shame as they both look lovely.

I went to St John B+W as I got to London late and was at Liverpool St. Nice food - Bacon, Snails and Trotter; Ducks hearts, pickled walnuts and watercress; Eccles cake and Lancashire cheese, but rather disappointing atmosphere and room - cafe-style big white room and about 6 other people. In fact there was more staff than punters.

As I don't go to London often I came away feeling disappointed that I'd missed a good opportunity to sample more refined fare.

Lovely bread tho.

thanks for the recommendations.

• 2 weeks later...

Our current favourite is Foliage in the Mandarin Oriental near Knightsbridge Tube. They do a 3 course set lunch menu with 2 glasses of wine for 32 pounds (IIRC 25 pounds w/o wine). The food is of a good standard and the setting is very nice as well.

In addition to the 3 courses you get an amuse prior to the started and petit fours.

I'd also second the suggestion for Capital - I really liked that as well.

-- Harry