• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'After Hours' with Daniel Boulud'

rlibkind

INHD, a high-definition cable channel, inaugurated a series tonight featuring Daniel Boulud, After Hours. In it, he visits a restaurant and helps prepare a meal for some fellow chefs and foodie friends to enjoy as a very late dinner.

Tonight's debut was at Brooklyn's Blue Ribbon Sushi. And his guests included Ed Levine and Anthony Bourdain. The dinner table conversation, which took up most of the show, was a stitch, especially when it came to talking about the Firefly Squid with Uni Sauce.

Future programs will be based at: WD-50, Maremma, Dinosaur BBQ, Cru, BLT Prime, Aquavit, and, of course, Daniel.

New episodes air Wednesday at 10 pm ET, repeated frequently through the following Sunday.

This series alone is almost reason alone to buy an HDTV. And you can watch Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares on BBC America before switching over to Boulud.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Though not great on the same channel there are also the shows "Beer Nutz"- two guys go around drinking beer. "Three Sheets" - one guy travels the world drinking. The Belgium episode included trips to the Delirium Tremens pub (the guy the keeps stealing his beers is pretty hilarious), and some of the monastarys(SP).

Wow you guys are fast - I thought I had a scoop on this channel!!

BTW - In Philadelphia on Comcast Digital you get this channel even without a high def TV. You are also able to "tivo" it through your DVR. Haven't seen Beer Nuts or 3 Sheets yet, recording them tonight, but I thought the dinner conversation on After Hours was histerical. :laugh:

Bourdain had a few lines that had me in stitches. Can't wait to see more. Has anyone been to Blue Ribbon Sushi?? Looks fab, or was it just pulling out all the stops for that particular audience?

FYI: Off -topic: They are advertising this channel in our area as MOJO. Not sure if there's any relation to the Brit music magazine, but they do also have some great music programming. London Live is sort of a modern top of the pops but with up and coming bands, it's been enlightening. Also Muddy Waters tribute with some great Keith Richards moments. Pixies, Motley Crew, Sarah McLaughlin - something for everyone I suppose, never the less some good concerts / specials.

Anna

------------

CASETTA

"selling fame in fifteen second increments for pints of beer "

Something for everything who likes rock music by white people.

Blue Ribbon is big after-hours chef's hang-out and well known as such. It's a good place to go late at night (even if you're not a chef). Some people think it's really great, but I think the point is more that it's open.

Has anyone been to Blue Ribbon Sushi??  Looks fab, or was it just pulling out all the stops for that particular audience?

Anna

It's good. Really good. But I didn't see this, so I don't know if any stops were being pulled out.

I just watched this on the DVR tonight. Yay, a food show in HD. Can't wait for more episodes. Three sheets and Beer Nuts were good too, especially the Belgium show. I watched the Costa Rica episode tonight and it was less informative, more watching people drink.

Which is worse, me enjoying seeing Sissy Biggers spattered with whipped cream, or the rest of the guys not seeming to care that she had been spattered with whipped cream?

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

Wow you guys are fast - I thought I had a scoop on this channel!!

BTW - In Philadelphia on Comcast Digital you get this channel even without a high def TV.  You are also able to "tivo" it through your DVR.  Haven't seen Beer Nuts or 3 Sheets yet, recording them tonight, but I thought the dinner conversation on After Hours was histerical. :laugh:

Bourdain had a few lines that had me in stitches.  Can't wait to see more.  Has anyone been to Blue Ribbon Sushi??  Looks fab, or was it just pulling out all the stops for that particular audience?

FYI:  Off -topic:  They are advertising this channel in our area as MOJO.  Not sure if there's any relation to the Brit music magazine, but they do also have some great music programming.  London Live is sort of a modern top of the pops but with up and coming bands, it's been enlightening.  Also Muddy Waters tribute with some great Keith Richards moments.  Pixies, Motley Crew, Sarah McLaughlin - something for everyone I suppose, never the less some good concerts / specials.

Anna

what channel in philly

• 8 months later...

Just discovered this show, its really great.

I love Three Sheets as well. Mojo is a great channel.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

Has anyone caught Uncorked with Billy Merritt yet? He's very popular in my comedy world, but I was wondering what the Food People thought.

Between that and Daniel Boulud's kitchen parties, it's got me really wishing I had HDTV. Gotta go see how much them things cost...

To hell with poverty! We'll get drunk on cheap wine - Gang of Four