• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cooking lessons in Malaysia

I'm going to be on holiday in Malaysia next month. Can anyone recommend a good Malay/Nonya cooking class? I'll definitely be in KL, Ipoh, Penang and some other as-yet-unchosen destinations, but will be avoiding the large, all-inclusive resorts (Langkawi, etc).

Thanks!

I'm going to be on holiday in Malaysia next month. Can anyone recommend a good Malay/Nonya cooking class? I'll definitely be in KL, Ipoh, Penang and some other as-yet-unchosen destinations, but will be avoiding the large, all-inclusive resorts (Langkawi, etc).

Thanks!

If you'd like a hands on class, I'd recommend Rohani Jelani's class. She hasn't got her July class schedule out yet but you can contact her at rohanij@streamyx.com.

The classes are conducted at her house in a traditional Malay kampung right smack amongst the sprawling suburbs. I've been for some of her classes and her recipes are very workable.

Here are some details extracted from her May/June class schedule that may interest you:

KAMPUNG CUISINE

Saturday 17 June 2006, 9.30 am – 1.30 pm

RM 190 per person

Authentic, rustic Malay food is getting increasingly rare outside a traditional home kitchen, so here’s your chance to replicate well-loved dishes such as nasi kerabu, ayam percik and kerabu jantung pisang.

- Percik Ayam/Ikan (spiced, grilled chicken or fish)

- Nasi Kerabu (herb rice salad)

- Masak lemak ayam dengan nenas (chicken and pineapple curry)

- Kerabu jantung pisang (banana flower salad)

- Masak air cekur manis dengan ubi keledek (green vegetable and sweet potato soup)

- Onde-onde (glutinous rice balls filled with palm sugar)

Students working in pairs will make 3 dishes. Please indicate your choice at time of booking.

CURRYING FAVOURS

Saturday 20 May 2006, 9.30 am – 1.30 pm

RM 190 per person

Who doesn’t love the aroma and drool at the sight of a lovely curry? Come and learn how to make authentic Malaysian curries with the correct balance flavours.

- Indian fish curry

- Masak assam pedas ikan

- Chicken korma

- Dhalcha (curry of dhal, vegetables and mutton)

- Chicken kapitan

- Beef (or chicken) rendang

Students working in pairs make 3 dishes. Please indicate your choice at time of booking.

RICE IS NICE

Sunday 21 May 2006, 9.30 am – 1.30 pm

RM 190 per person

Rice is not just rice.  There’s Basmati, Calrose, glutinous, Thai jasmine, black glutinous, etc. – each variety having a different texture and flavour that’s suited for particular dishes. We’ll cook some of the most popular rice dishes in the country. 

- Nasi Lemak  (including sambal tumis, tamarind-fried fish, etc.)

- Chicken rice (rice, roast chicken, chilli and ginger sauce, soup, etc.)

- Nasi kunyit with chicken curry

- Nasi Dagang (East coast red rice served with tuna curry)

- Nasi Kerabu Kelantan (East coast herb rice with traditional accompaniments)

Students working in pairs make two rice dishes and their accompaniments. Please indicate choice at time of booking.

SWEET & STICKY

Wednesday 24 May 2006, 9.30 am - 1.30 pm

RM 190 per person

Simple ingredients such as rice flour, coconut, palm sugar and pandan extract are the key ingredients in many of our favourite traditional cakes. If you have been frustrated in the past by the “agak-agak” (approximation) system so loved by our grandmothers, you will love my metric recipes!

- Serimuka (layered cake of glutinous rice with pandan custard)

- Kuih koci (glutinous flour cakes with sweet coconut centres)

- Kuih dadar (pandan crepes with palm sugar and coconut filling)

- Bengka ubi (tapioca cake)

- Kuih bakar (baked pandan cake topped with sesame seeds)

Students working in pairs make 3 cakes to take home. (Please indicate your choice at time of booking.) A light lunch will be provided.

MALAYSIAN HIGH TEA

Thursday 25 May 2006, 9.30 am – 1.30 pm

RM 190 per person

The English may enjoy light as air scones and dainty cucumber sandwiches for tea, but Malaysians generally favour something with a bit more “substance”. Roti jala with lashings of spicy chicken curry and hot curry puffs are more our style ….

- Roti jala (with chicken curry)

- Spiral curry puffs (karipap pusing)

- Kuih lompang (steamed brown sugar cakes topped with coconut)

- Kuih talam (layered rice cake)

Students working in pairs will make 3 menu items.

[...]
KAMPUNG CUISINE

Saturday 17 June 2006, 9.30 am – 1.30 pm

RM 190 per person

Authentic, rustic Malay food is getting increasingly rare outside a traditional home kitchen, so here’s your chance to replicate well-loved dishes such as nasi kerabu, ayam percik and kerabu jantung pisang.

[...]- Masak lemak ayam dengan nenas (chicken and pineapple curry)[...]

Whoa! That brings back memories. Our neighbor and landlady, who cooked for my family when we were living in Kg. Merchang, Terengganu in the 70s, made this once for a special occasion. She's a good cook now, but back then, it was mostly things with a great excess of belacan and dishes made with ikan selayang, a fish that was so full of long, thin bones it was impossible for me to avoid stabbing myself in the mouth and swallowing some down my throat. But this dish was fantastic!

Michael aka "Pan"

Thanks Shiewie... I'm spending quite a bit of time in KL these days, might be fun to do a class on days off etc. Where is her house???

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

It's in Kampung Palimbayan Indah at Sungei Penchala - sounds remote eh :biggrin:? It's actually just off the LDP (Damansara-Puchong Highway) on the other side of the highway from Ikea, Tesco etc.