• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Take Home Chef

LikestoEatout

Has anyone watched this show on The Learning Channel (TLC) ? TLC has been showing it M-F at 4pm CST for about a month now and just last week began featuring it at 7pm CST on Fridays. There are two half hour segments to the show, each featuring a new "victim", an unsuspecting young woman ( so far that's all they have shown) that Curtis sneaks up on in a supermarket. Curtis very awkwardly explains he is an "Aussie" and has written several cook books and would love to go home with the woman and cook a wonderful dinner for family or significant other. They shop, he pays, they always stop at Sur La Table or Crate and Barrel where he surpises her with a gift that has ranged from knives to a special serving dish for whatever they are going to make. They go home, cook and surprise the spouse/boyfriend. It is like the old Gordon Elliot Door Knock Dinner but Curtis is just so awkward and goofy acting. A good majority of the women don't know how to cook and he leads them through preparing a "gourmet" dinner. I don't know how many episodes they filmed but in a month they have already had repeat episodes. I was much happier when TLC had Martha Stewart in this time slot!

i loved one of last night's episodes that had the woman change into something more comfortable when they got home. i find the whole show entirely amusing- a good-looking guy with an accent basically picking up on married or attached women in the grocery store. . .brilliant! :smile:

i loved one of last night's episodes that had the woman change into something more comfortable when they got home.  i find the whole show entirely amusing- a good-looking guy with an accent basically picking up on married or attached women in the grocery store. . .brilliant!  :smile:

I've seen that one. Picking up women in the grocery store. Love the concept.

I think it's a cool idea. Been done before with Door Knock Dinners (remember that one?)

I kind of like his style. I think they play up the "tension" of the unsuspecting hubby coming home, but it's pretty well done. He's a decent chef that makes these sort of luxurious dinners accesible.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Did you happen to find out exactly which grocery store?  :rolleyes:  Just asking, you realize ... :hmmm:

i think it's l.a.. . i want to say that i saw a ralph's bag somewhere in one of the episodes. i couldn't make out what the bag said in another episode.