• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salad Bars

Jason Perlow

With the really hot weather we've been getting, I'd like to know where in Northern NJ you can find the best restaurants with good salad bars.

And I don't mean Charlie Brown's or Sizzler.

Any good Churrascarias in Newark that have particularly good ones to go with the rodizio?

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Brasilia BBQ has a resoundingly comprehensive salad bar. Hot dishes, fried bananas, seafood dishes and salads, all along with your standard veggies.

The name of the street escapes me, but it's just a little bit off of Ferry Street.

You could probably get a decent salad bar at the big buffet places. I remember that there's one off of Route 4, but I forget where and the name. The last time we went there, I was worried I'd miss Ally McBeal that night, so take the accuracy as you will. :-)

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

Actually, the chain restos are probably the only places where you will get a salad bar offering these days, or some brunch buffet. "Good salad bars" might actually be an oxymoron now, the 21st century era of creative restaurants has brought about the chef that wants to create his own salad design on a plate, with some exotic and unusual ingredients.

Salad bars have really become an anachronism.

If you want to sample a prepared salad, my favorites are:

The Frisée salad at Latour, Ridgewood.

The Roasted Beet & Apple Salad at Relish, Sparkill.

Any other ideas for beautifully prepared and designed salad plates?

They are very common in Whole Foods.

In the major downtown office district of Washington, D.C., you'll find them in establishments designed to handle lunch crowds.

Not in New Jersey?

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Now that I'm working in the city, I've discovered what I call the 'reverse' salad bar...they seem to be everywhere! The salad bar is behind the counter, and you tell the guy which size you want, then choose mixed greens or spinach, and tell him what to add. All of it goes in to a large stainless steel bowl, along with your dressing of choice, where it gets tossed with tongs, put in the 'go' bowl, and you're off.

Most places seem to offer 4 items at the base price of $6-$7, then it goes up to 6 or 8, in increments of about $1.50. Odd, but it's what I seem to go for almost every day, so I guess the concept works. A roll is usually included.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I like the idea of the "reverse" salad bar. I shy away from salad bars because I worry about other people's hands in my food or even worse someone sneezing into the food or... you get the idea. The closest thing I know of to this is the chopped salad at Livingston Bagel where you tell them what kind of salad you want and watch them put everything into a large wooden bowl and hack it to bits with a mezzaluna. Only problem is how long it takes to make each salad and how far the line extends at peak times.

The Coach House Diner in Hackensack (across Rt. 4 from Riverside Square) used to have a nice one, with good stuffed grape leaves.

I haven't been there in a while, but it would be worth checking.

Curlz, you reminded me of a new chain that I've seen one or two of: Saladworks Cafe. Haven't tried, so YMMV. www.saladworks.com

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

Saladworks has gotten very expensive for a very mediocre salad. I like the salad bar at Whole Foods, also, but you do need to watch that you don't take too many of the "heavy" items! Have also found that the variety varies by location, some have more vegetarian-oriented items, some have more meat.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding the "Reverse Salad Bar", I dug up this thread because I forgot all about one I used to frequent - Linda's Flame Roasted Chicken in West Caldwell. I used to work down the street until we moved and have recently discovered that with a few back roads, I can still get there and back to the office in a reasonable amount of time.

As was mentioned, you choose either the romaine or mixed green salad, and then choose from all of the toppings available. The chicken is delicious (choice of grilled or roasted) and there are so many different items to go along with it, as well as a choice of probably 10 different dressings.

This place also has BBQ Ribs, Turkey, Chicken, etc. with every fattening, delicious carb side you can imagine (or a side salad if you prefer) I just stopped in yesterday and my salad was $5.49 and very filling.