• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

harvesting and cooking squash blossoms

hazardnc

I am growing Lebanese squash with the hopes of making kousa mashi when the squash ripens. In the meantime, I would love to try to harvest some of the squash blossoms for frying. I have never made fried squash blossoms - or even tasted them! My gardener mother-in-law says to harvest the male blossoms (they grow on long stems, right?) and to leave at least one male blossom in order to continue to produce squash.

When is the optimum time to pluck a blossom? I have some that are wide open - is this too late?

I will use Keller's recipe for frying - any other tips are appreciated.

I'm pretty sure there is an old thread on squash blossoms....do a search. I'd try and do it for you, but I'm on dial up, and life is short! :unsure:

My favorite, simple technique, is as follows:

wash the blossoms and gently shake them dry

prepare some flour and a bit of salt for coating them

heat olive oil in a flat pan, abundant amount of oil

put the flour/salt mix in a plastic bag and toss the damp flowers in them, coat well

fry until the flowers are crispy, add a little extra salt if needed and eat right away.

They make a divine appertif nibble.

If you want some stuffed blossom recipes, let me know. Stuffing such as mozzeralla with a bit of anchovy. Sausage.

Your imagination is the limit!

Global Gourmet has an interesting article here ... enjoy!

Squash blossoms are definitely "in." They're hip, they're hot, they're happening. Not that they weren't appreciated by those in the know before this, but it's as if they suddenly hired an agent to get their name out there. And it's working. They're seen in all the best restaurants, rubbing pistils and stamens with truffles, goat cheese, and caviar. Flip from network morning shows to cable stations, and they're absolutely blooming—willingly stuffed, twisted, battered, fried, and Emeril-ized.

recipe for squash blossoms here by, yes, you guessed it, Emeril! :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

When is the optimum time to pluck a blossom? I have some that are wide open - is this too late?

I agree with hathor. Do a search here in egullet and then on google and epicurioius. You will find riches.

I can tell you before you search that you'll find an interesting dish down in the Hearland's Harvest Gathering (thread name?) started by tammylc. See link to first gathering and look for pictures and write-up. The results might be in recipegullet.

In response to the question I've cited here, blossoms are harvested while still closed since they can be stuffed and/or are easy to handle even when simply fried in a light golden batter and eaten as soon as the excess grease has been drained. (My favorite, too.)

However, there are lots of preparations in which blossoms are cut up, in which case open flowers would be fine, too. These tend to be dishes such as risotto or crepes in which slivers are added to the batter.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

In my experience, the time of day when you pick the blossoms matters almost more than the age of the blossom. If you want to stuff squash blossoms, make sure you pick them in the early morning, not in the heat of the day. The blossoms close when they get hit by the sun, and then it's impossible to part the petals without ripping them (at least for me!). After you pick them, you can store them in a loosely closed plastic bag in the refrigerator until you want to use them.

My favorite preparation is to stuff the blossoms with a cube of Monterey Jack and some roasted green chile, and then batter and fry them.

Hmmm, I think I may have to go find some squash blossoms ...

I have a question.  How do you stuff the blossom without ripping it to bits?  TIA

Gently dear Angela. Gently. It is a delicate flower after all.

My recipe is to whip up some goat cheese with mint, sometimes the addition of finely minced shallots. You can thin the goat cheese if needed with cream cheese or even a bit of whipping cream.

dip stuffed flower into a tempura batter, fry in hot oil. Serve drizzled with reduced balsamic vinegar and when in season plump and juicy pomegranite seeds.

I alway remove the outer tendril thingie that surround the outside of the flower base. (Hope my description makes sense).

My favourite squash blossom classic is the Oaxacan street food snack. A freshly made tortilla lies on a comal while the cook gently tears squash blossoms, epazote and quesillo over the top. The tortilla is folded over and cooked, steaming the ingredients inside.

A bit of salt, a bit of salsa and heaven is achieved.

I have a question.  How do you stuff the blossom without ripping it to bits?  TIA

My recipe is to whip up some goat cheese with mint, sometimes the addition of finely minced shallots. You can thin the goat cheese if needed with cream cheese or even a bit of whipping cream.

dip stuffed flower into a tempura batter, fry in hot oil. Serve drizzled with reduced balsamic vinegar and when in season plump and juicy pomegranite seeds.

I alway remove the outer tendril thingie that surround the outside of the flower base. (Hope my description makes sense).

My favourite squash blossom classic is the Oaxacan street food snack. A freshly made tortilla lies on a comal while the cook gently tears squash blossoms, epazote and quesillo over the top. The tortilla is folded over and cooked, steaming the ingredients inside.

Thank you. Every year I grow squash and every year I want to stuff a few blossoms and every year I chicken out. I fear I will ruin them--but your stuffing is helping get my courage up. Thank you.

"I'm not looking at the panties, I'm looking at the vegetables!" --RJZ

From last year's Heartland gathering's stuffed and tempura'd squash blossoms

gallery_13151_1516_10032.jpg

from Tammy:

Great story behind the stuffed squash blossoms. Last December I had dinner at Jose's Minibar in DC, and had this amazing caramelized zucchini dish. There's tons of zucchini in the market right now, but zucchini isn't usually the most interesting thing to cook or eat. Except this caramelized thing, which was amazing and which I thought we could attempt to recreate based on the vague directions I got when I asked about it at the restaurant. At one point yesterday, we leave Fat Guy watching some bags and manning the 2 pm check-in point while we go off to grab some last minute items. While we're gone he calls Cafe Atlantico (where the Minibar is), asks to speak to the chef by name, and says "Hey, this is Steve Shaw from New York. Can I get that caramelized zucchini recipe from you?" The guy on the other end of the phone is happy to oblige, and Steven writes it all down, while simultaneously trying to get far enough from the Chinese Lion Dance group to hear but also stay close enough to the bags to see them. We're not sure if the chef actually knew who Steve was or just didn't want to take the chance of seeming stupid in case he was someone important. Definitely a lesson in chutzpah.

So, armed with the instructions for caramelizing the zucchini, Steven and I start discussing various presentation options. As I'm leaving the market I pass someone selling squash blossoms. I've never had them myself, but I know that they are frequently stuffed and deep fried, so I figure that they might make a great container for our caramelized zucchini mush and buy two small buckets worth. We decide on a tempura batter and convince Kris to staff the wok for the frying (Kris-Japan-tempura - it seemed the right thing to do). This was definitely our most ambitious and most tasty dish of the night.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Maybe this will help you visualize the stuffed blossom. Here is a photo of the little fellows stuffed with some fiore de latte mozzeralla and bit of anchovy. Basically you put a bit of the stuffing near the base of the flower, and then give the petals a a little twist to close them. Gentle twist!

gallery_14010_2363_377055.jpg Then they were dipped in a yeasty batter and fried, like the beautiful tempura flower above.

I think I will have to try this method, since I was only able to harvet 5 blossoms - not worth the mess of battering and frying this amount. I only have 3 squash plants and I have let too many blossoms fall to the ground :angry:

Is quesillo a cheese? Is it known by another name?

I wouldnt suggest battering the blossoms, as it takes away from the flavour/texture of the actual flower.

We have been frying them for years, and always the same method:

Lightly saute some baby shallots and garlic in evoo/herb butter

When they start to get golden, turn up heat and add flowers, deglaze with a bit of white wine, then pump up heat some more and sear on both sides till the flowers turn golden, add S&P and enjoy.

Of all the possibilites, this one is still our fav.

Oh, and if you want to fill them - make a fava bean/roasted garlic puree and sear them, also really good.

Soak them in salt water to get rid of the wildlife, especially the pollen beetles

I think it's wiser to dip them quickly in ice water rather than soak. If they are too long in water, the petals get saturated and are ruined.

I'm with shelora re preperation. The fried are lovely but you really can taste them in a quesadilla or squash blossom soup.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

I think I will have to try this method, since I was only able to harvet 5 blossoms - not worth the mess of battering and frying this amount. I only have 3 squash plants and I have let too many blossoms fall to the ground :angry:

Is quesillo a cheese? Is it known by another name?

Quesillo or Oaxacan string cheese. You can substitute jack or mozzarella.

Soak them in salt water to get rid of the wildlife, especially the pollen beetles

I think it's wiser to dip them quickly in ice water rather than soak. If they are too long in water, the petals get saturated and are ruined.

I'm with shelora re preperation. The fried are lovely but you really can taste them in a quesadilla or squash blossom soup.

And you have a recipe for squash blossom soup that you want to share? :rolleyes:

You are dead right about soaking the blossoms...you only wind up with blossom mush.

And you have a recipe for squash blossom soup that you want to share? :rolleyes:

You are dead right about soaking the blossoms...you only wind up with blossom mush.

Without my food journal with me, this recipe is off the top of my head. Mine involves fresh corn - the recipe not my head!

Remove the kernels from about five cobs of corn.

Saute some white onion until transparent, add the corn kernels and saute for a few minutes, add stock and allow the corn to cook through. Puree half the amount, to vary the texture of the soup.

Return to stove, add a lot of lightly chopped squash blossoms that have had the stringy sepals and tough stem removed. Add some chopped epazote. salt the soup to taste.

You can serve topped with roasted strips of chile poblano and/or cheese like a mild feta or queso fresco.

I had some squash blossoms at a local restaurant last week, and I asked the chef how he got the stuffing in--he said he used a pastry bag, so he only had to open them up enough to get the pistils, etc. out.

And he baked them in clarified butter. They were good.

"I'm not looking at the panties, I'm looking at the vegetables!" --RJZ

Without my food journal with me, this recipe is off the top of my head. Mine involves fresh corn - the recipe not my head!

Remove the kernels from about five cobs of corn.

Saute some white onion until transparent, add  the corn kernels and saute for a few minutes, add stock and allow the corn to cook through. Puree half the amount, to vary the texture of the soup.

Return to stove, add a lot of lightly chopped squash blossoms that have had the stringy sepals and tough stem removed. Add some chopped epazote. salt the soup to taste.

You can serve topped with roasted strips of chile poblano and/or cheese like a mild feta or queso fresco.

That sounds fantastic!

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned to watch out for bees when picking. Whenever I've picked I've been surprised by buzzing little pollinators inside the blossoms--they fly right out if you panic and drop the blossom on the ground.