• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fry pans

kutsu

Well, I've let the girlfriend clean my best non-stick frying pan, and now, it's no long non-stick :rolleyes: Never mind.

I'd love to get a pan that the non-stick coating on it is very durable, can withstanding normal-oven cooking (i.e max of about 240deg C.) and is something that I could happily use for a long period of time, with probably 5 or 6 uses per week.

What sort of quality names should I be looking for if I want, I guess, a semi-professional fry pan, and where's best to get them?

I've heard Calphalon mentioned, but not come across them myself.

Edited by kutsu (log)

For a non stick pan I picked up a Bourgeat industrial type heavy pan from Nisbets, cost around £50 but is very durable. HOWEVER, I only use it for things like fish which are very delicate, for almost everything else I use a black-iron pan which becomes non-stick after a few uses, costs under a tenner and can withstand the heat in the oven as high as I can get it. I wouldn't be without my black-iron pans, without doubt the most used thing in my kitchen aside from my knives.

Black-Iron frying pans

Bourgeat Non-Stick Pan

Edited by Matthew Grant (log)

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

I'm a big fan of the Meyer Analon pans - v.durable, can withstand high heat and so easy to clean. You can get a set of 3 pans + saute pan for about £99 nand Frying pans about £60. I've been using mine for years and they are as good as new!

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

Thanks for the tips gus,

I've got cast iron black pan and it's my weapon of choice for a nice burger or steak, but in my frying pan, I quite like being able to use it to make a rissotto or a fricasee, something I would use my black pan for.

I will have a look on the web for the pans you've both recommended. One question, the Bourgeat, would it still be ok for things outside of fish/delicate cooking as well, like sauteing etc?

EDIT: Has anyone come accross All-Clad? I've just had a friend mention hearing Rick Stein talking about them. What are they like, and are they overproof? silly question possibly!

Cheers

Edited by kutsu (log)

I'm a big fan of the Meyer Analon pans - v.durable, can withstand high heat and so easy to clean.  You can get a set of 3 pans + saute pan for about £99 nand Frying pans about £60.  I've been using mine for years and they are as good as new!

The boxed sets of Analon do seem to be the cheapest. We recently wanted to replace both our saute pan and skillet (your frying pan?) and we found a boxed set was definitely the cheapest way to get them. (We also got a stock pot that will be useful too with the set).

Unfortunately the Analon pans aren't entirely foolproof - our pans needed to be replaced due to a combination of leaving them empty on the hob with the heat on and using metal spoons. Having said that they are very good and we've had them long enough that I don't think we can complain about having had to replace them.

I've got  cast iron black pan and it's my weapon of choice for a nice burger or steak, but in my frying pan, I quite like being able to use it to make a rissotto or a fricasee, something I would use my black pan for.

I will have a look on the web for the pans you've both recommended. One question, the Bourgeat, would it still be ok for things outside of fish/delicate cooking as well, like sauteing etc?

I think you may be mistaking a cast iron pan for a black iron pan, they are different.

The Bourgeat would be fine for stuff other than fish although I don't see the necessity for a non stick frying pan to cook a risotto (saucepan) or fricasee (black iron pan)?, in fact , off the top of my head I can think of very few occasions other than fish when I would resort to a specific non-stick pan.

Matt, yep I must be mistaken. I will have a glance at the web to spot the differences.

re: Rissotto etc, I have a small kitchen so, whilst I do have "normal" saucepans etc, my pots and pans must multitask, and it's nice to be able to have a frypan/skillet to use for different things.

for almost everything else I use a black-iron pan which becomes non-stick after a few uses

Matt - do you have to treat them differently to normal pans? using detergent on them, oiling after use, etc?

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

Thanks for the tips gus,

I've got  cast iron black pan and it's my weapon of choice for a nice burger or steak, but in my frying pan, I quite like being able to use it to make a rissotto or a fricasee, something I would use my black pan for.

EDIT: Has anyone come accross All-Clad? I've just had a friend mention hearing Rick Stein talking about them. What are they like, and are they overproof? silly question possibly!

Cheers

I have been using All-Clad here in the States for years. Great durable pan. I use the stainless pan with aluminum core, but you can get copper pans, non-stick, etc. Very, very durable, take the heat in the oven no problem, very strong rivets on handle and clean up pretty easily. When gets extra dirty can use a little 0000 steel wool and looks like new. They are pretty expensive here, maybe $300 for a three pan set with two lids, but worthit, and I think they will be with me forever.

for almost everything else I use a black-iron pan which becomes non-stick after a few uses

Matt - do you have to treat them differently to normal pans? using detergent on them, oiling after use, etc?

I normally just run mine under a hot tap without any detergent while the pans are still hot and give them a quick wipe with a sponge. I think it is probably recommended to keep them slightly oiled although I don't conciously do this. No problems with rust as long as you dry them properly, (I stick mine on the hob for a few seconds). They are extremely easy to keep!

I'm a big fan of the Meyer Analon pans - ...  Frying pans about £60. 

£40-ish in John Lewis

I'm also a big fan but find I have to replace every 2-3 years or so - but I do use them more as roasting tins rather than just on top of the stove

if buying a frying pan make sure the handle can withstand oven temps

Maybe I'm just careless... but I never seem to get a good run out of my non-stick frying pans, and I've had some pretty expensive ones over the years. I'm going to start buying cheap ones frequently, and cut down on the grief. TK Max, here I come.

I have the regular Bourgeat stainless steel and use it for everything. Works a treat (but it's nearly black on the bottom now--tip, if you buy SS be vigilant about the Barkeepers Friend from the beginning!)

I wouldn't be without my black-iron pans, without doubt the most used thing in my kitchen aside from my knives.

right, you talked me into it - these are arriving tomorrow + I will let you know how I get on! thanks Matt!

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

Maybe I'm just careless... but I never seem to get a good run out of my non-stick frying pans, and I've had some pretty expensive ones over the years.  I'm going to start buying cheap ones frequently, and cut down on the grief.  TK Max, here I come.

Actually I've picked up some half decent pans very cheaply at TK Max. Got a seriously heavy frypan with lid a while ago which I use a lot - goes into the oven which is handy. On saying that the 'pan' I tend to use the most is a shallow wide casserole thing with little handles on each side - It's good for pasta sauces, casseroles (Obviously) etc - anything 'one-pot' which is most of my cooking. And I bought it for about a tenner in Woolworths about 5 years ago!

I love animals.

They are delicious.

On Bourgeat (non-stick) -

Spending more than 25 euro on a pan sounds like utter madness to me since my Bourgeat conversion which happened about 10 years ago. They are wonderful. they are available in Ireland for between 14-26 euro depending on size (Sweeny O'Rouke on Pearse St.) or so which is buttons compared to the commercial brands. I have about 8 in all sizes and once the non-stick coating wears off they are still non stick if treated well (or even not so well). I dry fry stuff in them, make risotto, omelettes, sauces, fry black pudding and sausages in them and even stick them in the oven for making tart tatin sometimes (the handle gets a bit sticky as the heat resistant stuff gets burned but otherwise they cope very well). Best of all is the fact that they are so cheap you can treat them as roughly as you like as you know you can cheaply replace them.

I did order from Berndes in Germany: much cheaper than buying in London.

I tried different series but my favorite still remaing the terracotta one, it's' the one I had for longer and kept very well

http://www.berndes24.com/Berndes_Katalog/B...AxqLBz2&visit=1

Edited by Franci (log)

On Bourgeat (non-stick) -

Spending more than 25 euro on a pan sounds like utter madness to me since my Bourgeat conversion which happened about 10 years ago.  They are wonderful. they are available in Ireland for between 14-26 euro depending on size (Sweeny O'Rouke on Pearse St.) or so which is buttons compared to the commercial brands.  I have about 8 in all sizes and once the non-stick coating wears off they are still non stick if treated well (or even not so well).  I dry fry stuff in them, make risotto, omelettes, sauces, fry black pudding and sausages in them and even stick them in the oven for making tart tatin sometimes (the handle gets a bit sticky as the heat resistant stuff gets burned but otherwise they cope very well). Best of all is the fact that they are so cheap you can treat them as roughly as you like as you know you can cheaply replace them.

I'm with you on this - I reckoned that the Bourgeat pans were cheap enough (at well under £20 each for 22/23cm diameter from Pages) to be 'disposable'. As it is, the pair I've had for at least 4 years show little signs of wear (though I'm not a big frier!)

I've seen the All-Clad pans in Divertimenti and lusted after them, but they are sooo expensive :shock:

Big Boy Dan has it right. I swear by Swiss Diamond if you can get them. Metal utensil safe. Dishwasher safe. Lifetime waranty. These things are light but indestructible. Most have glass tops with vents - and a really nice thick lip to seal the pan. Price is comparable. Industrial diamond coated on the inside and out.