• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

frisee aux lardons

shelora

Frisee aux lardons is my latest paramour. A local restaurant serves this salad with hot lardons (double smoked bacon), local roasted hazelnuts, apple and endive.

What makes this classic salad classic? Is it just the inclusion of the frisee and the lardons or does it indeed have an original recipe that inspires riffs on the classic?

What say you?

When I make frisee aux lardons, I generally use applewood smoked bacon and homemade croutons, dressing with a sherry vinaigrette. The poached egg is a "must" for me!

gallery_45186_3092_12633.jpg

It's my all-time favorite salad-

Lori

Abra has a beautiful photograph of a classic Salade Lyonnaise somewhere on eGullet that is a great source of inspiration.

I love croutons (see Lori's perfect ones above) that have been rubbed with cut slices of raw garlic.

And yes, lots of potent wine vinegar.

Around here, the problem is finding good frisee at this time of year. It's tender and perfect early in the spring, but tends to toughen in the heat.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

The vinaigrette offsets the fat? Anthony Bourdain uses a chicken liver vinaigrette in his version; Thomas Keller uses a bacon fat vinaigrette in his. I much prefer the latter.

just because there's fat IN the vinaigrette doesn't mean that the acid can't balance out some of the FEEL of the fattiness in the salad and dressing :biggrin: . i'm never against some bacon dripping vinaigrette!

The vinaigrette offsets the fat? Anthony Bourdain uses a chicken liver vinaigrette in his version; Thomas Keller uses a bacon fat vinaigrette in his. I much prefer the latter.

just because there's fat IN the vinaigrette doesn't mean that the acid can't balance out some of the FEEL of the fattiness in the salad and dressing :biggrin: . i'm never against some bacon dripping vinaigrette!

I think you are on the right track with the tart vinaigrette - it would brighten up - if that makes sense - the whole dish. I will go back and order another one to really concentrate on how the dressing addresses the ingredients.

I was looking at that recipe for chicken liver vinagrette yesterday - it sounds amazing, doesn't it?

The dish I get here is adamant about serving those lardons hot from the oven.

The vinaigrette the chef uses is an elusified dressing - a combination of white wine, dijon, shallots with canola or grapeseed oil with both cider and sherry winegar to get the right acidity.

I favor a port wine vinaigrette.

porquoi?

because I like the balance between the sweetness and acidity, and because I think the port provides a richness that offsets the richness of the bacon.

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau

When I make frisee aux lardons, I generally use applewood smoked bacon and homemade croutons, dressing with a sherry vinaigrette.  The poached egg is a "must" for me!

gallery_45186_3092_12633.jpg

It's my all-time favorite salad-

Lori

Moi aussi....Your photo has me salivating.