• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Big Question in the FL Legislature

joiei

The legislature of Florida is having a heck of a debate over which pie should become the official state pie of Florida. Key Lime or Pecan.

The story as it stands

A proposal to make Key Lime pie the official pie of the state has passed the House Tourism Committee. It was a unanimous vote seven to zero. It has one more committee vote in the House.

Two weeks ago, a Florida Senate committee also approved its version of the bill and will soon go before the full Senate.

But the food fight may not be over.

There is fierce opposition from pecan growers in the northern part of the state who want pecan pie to take the honor. Pecans are grown all across the Panhandle and some believe it would better reflect the state’s history.

Some legislators in the central part of the state are also pushing for strawberry pie.

Well now, my family on Mama's side has been reseyedn up in the panhandle since prior to us getting statehood the first time. Don't get me wrong or nutt'n but I just love me a big ole piece of some of Granny's pecan pie. Key lime pie was for all them furreners who lived on down state.

I have since lived in the 'Keys' a couple of three times and learned that Key Lime Pie is a gift from the above to the South of Florida.

Pecans are a large agricultural crop to the northern tier of the state, the Renfroe pecan store in Pensacola is a wonderful place. Key limes from the keys, although I think that most of the production today is grown in Mexico, are a unique product and add to the economy of the South of Florida.

Which would I chose? If family and heritage were the factors, then Pecan. If uniqueness and originalily, then Key Lime. Damn, this is hard. No wonder the folks in T'hassee are having such a hard time.

I do like my key lime without meringue, also.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

From Plant City to the Redlands, Florida says strawberries to me, but Strawberry Pie? NOT my favorite. Let's look at it this way, even on a big binge, you can't eat an entire Pecan Pie on your own, but a Key Lime pie is completely doable. I say Key Lime Pie, and bring it on!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Lots of states can (and probably do) claim Pecan Pie. Only Florida can claim Key Lime Pie. Why not play to the state's unique strengths?

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Lots of states can (and probably do) claim Pecan Pie. Only Florida can claim Key Lime Pie. Why not play to the state's unique strengths?

Agreed. Not sure that Texas has a "state pie" but the pecan tree is the state tree. No key limes there, though.

"God give us good taste, why bother?" Captain Jim's Sushi Chef

I do like my key lime without meringue, also.

Me, too. I whip some heavy cream and fold in a little sugar and Meyer's Rum to top my key lime pies. MUCH better than meringue.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I vote for Key Lime pie.

I got some Key Lime ice cream at Winn-Dixie recently.  Yum-o.

what was the brand of ice cream?

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I vote for Key Lime pie.

I was their Winn-Dixie Prestige brand. It was on sale for $3.99 last week. Not sure if that is a good deal for ice cream or not. I have plenty left in the container.

I vote for Key Lime pie.

I was their Winn-Dixie Prestige brand. It was on sale for $3.99 last week. Not sure if that is a good deal for ice cream or not. I have plenty left in the container.

the last Winn Dixie I was in was the scary Winn Dixie on Carrollton in New Orleans, this was several years ago, pre-K.

They closed a number of stores here in Florida. I used to go one around the corner from my prior home. There is one that is near by and the prices are sometimes better than Publix on some items.