• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Effect of freezing on chicken

Kent Wang

I just found a vendor at the farmers market that sells never been frozen chicken.

Are most supermarket chicken frozen at some time in the shipping process? Does freezing have much of an effect on the taste or texture? How long from the time it's slaughtered can a chicken stay good without freezing?

I believe there are laws that require that previously frozen chicken must be indicated on the label. Fresh chickens in our supermarkets cannot have been frozen at any time unless so labelled. I don't doubt that fresh chicken would be superior to frozen (and thawed) chicken.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Does freezing have much of an effect on the taste or texture?

I always knew instinctively that freezing meats changes their textures, but it wasn't until I read McGee that I understood why. When the water (liquid) in the meat freezes, it forms an ice crystal, which, if you recall high-school chemistry, has a jagged form. This creates spaces in the meat which alter the texture. Flavor is also altered in the freezing process.

McGee describes this all very clearly. The best way to freeze meat, he says, is to do it very quickly, at very cold temperatures and uncovered (then wrap it once it is frozen). I assume that meats that are sold as frozen are done so under these conditions, but it is more difficult to achieve this at home.

I made a similar argument in a thread about breeds of pigs.

Greater gains in quality of chicken will be made from buying frozen chicken that has led a better life than fresh chicken that has had a shitty life.

Edit: clarity

Edited by jsolomon (log)

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

A couple of years back, a Congressman introducing legislation that would require more exactitude in frozen chicken labeling went "bowling" with "non-frozen" chickens. Apparently chickens chilled to something around 25 degrees are still considered unfrozen, despite their being cold, hard and solid. Another crime against nature by the chicken industry, aided and abetted by friend in high places.

I think it's clear that freezing a chicken makes it cook up dryer, espcecially the breast meat, and thus avoid them whenever possible.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I think it's clear that freezing a chicken makes it cook up dryer, espcecially the breast meat, and thus avoid them whenever possible.

This can be overcome by proper preparation of said bird...

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Meat holds water. When you freeze it, this water expands, rupturing the protein framework. When the meat is thawed, water is released.

A good way of telling if meat (any meat) has been frozen is to check for excess juice in the package.

This can be overcome by proper preparation of said bird...

Freezing a chicken impairs it's ability to retain water. This is irreversible. You can brine the daylights out of it and it won't be as tender/moist as a fresh/never been frozen bird.

I'm not arguing with that. But, if you cook using methods that dissolve the collagen, the protein that holds the meat together, you will not have dry chicken. Ditto if you lube with added fat, like cream and butter.

Or, cut thinly across the grain of the meat. Or add tangy flavors so the mouth waters more. Or...

But, freezing doesn't disrupt the protein framework so much as the cell membranes which then spill their contents out into the extracellular space.