• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver on $44 a day.

Ling

So this topic got me thinking...if Rachel Ray were to visit Vancouver with $44 to spend (b/c of the exchange rate), where would she go? (It's just a game...we're not including tax and tip here.)

I remember she went to Pacific Culinary and Death by Chocolate on the Vancouver show, but I'm thinking we can come up with some better suggestions.

BREAKFAST: twice-baked almond croissant from Sen5es, coffee from The Elysian Room, total = $6

LUNCH: an order of xiao long bao and maybe something fried, or the vegetarian hot and soup soup from Shanghai Wind ~$10 (if Shanghai Wind is swamped, as it often is, then I would get the dan dan noodles and the Taiwanese chicken nuggets at Traditional Taiwanese for about the same price)

SNACK: egg tarts, if they're hot out of the oven from Kirin ~$3

DINNER: duck leg confit, warm bacon dressing, frisée salad and organic potatoes at Cru, $15

DESSERT: strawberry tart, maple star anise cream, toasted orange chiffon at West $9.50

Breakfast: curry beef bun - la patisserie in Richmond - $2

Lunch: 1/2 a roast Duck - Parker Place Meats in Richmond - $12

Dinner: Lamb Popsickles - Vij's - $24

Dessert: Sorbets (Poir William, Salted Caramel, Passion Fruit) - Feenies - $6

Edited by hhlodesign (log)

Great topic, this should be fun.

OK, one that sticks to my neighbourhood:

Breakfast: Apple focaccia, Terra Breads and JJ Bean Coffee, Granville Island $5

Lunch: Grilled cheese (aged cheddar with onion chutney) take-out from Raincity Grill, includes salad and baked good, on a bench at English Bay $10

Drink at 900 West with free appetizers $10

Dinner: Crispy skin free run Wentzel Duck Breast, Pemberton nugget potato, pancetta, goat cheese hash, truffled hericot vert, port sundried cranberry sauce $14, Bin 941

Dessert: Lemon tart $4, at Nu

Cheers,

Anne

I'm taking notes! What, no Go Fish yet?!?

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Breakfast: curry beef bun - la patisserie in Richmond - $2

Lunch: 1/2 a roast Duck - Parker Place Meats in Richmond - $12

Dinner: Lamb Popsickles - Vij's - $24

Dessert: Sorbets (Poir William, Salted Caramel, Passion Fruit) - Feenies - $6

Heavy on the protein don't you think????

I request that the Seattle native try again. :wink:

I request that the Seattle native try again. :wink:

The Irish are always picking on the natives! :cool:

Actually - see below - it's too bad that little Rachel avoids the alcohol, since "happy hour" snacks are a great way to go - with a glass of wine (or beer).

Edited by Memo (log)

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

Drink at 900 West with free appetizers  $10

Dinner: Crispy skin free run Wentzel Duck Breast, Pemberton nugget potato, pancetta, goat cheese hash,  truffled hericot vert, port sundried cranberry sauce  $14, Bin 941

I didn't know 900 West had free snacks with drinks...is this on everyday? (This also reminds me how I should've tried to fit in a drink and free steak sandwiches at Morton's.)

The duck breast sounds like a steal!

I didn't know 900 West had free snacks with drinks...is this on everyday? (This also reminds me how I should've tried to fit in a drink and free steak sandwiches at Morton's.)

Just weekdays. From 5:00 until 6:00 or 6:30 pm, I think

Edited by barolo (log)

Cheers,

Anne

Just weekdays. From 5:00 until 6:00 or 6:30 pm, I think

:shock:

Don't let the Liquor Board hear about that! Sounds almost like Happy Hour!

Nu does something similar (Cinq a Sept) as does Morton's (free steak sandwiches).

Back to the topic at hand:

Breakfast - 4 shot latte from JJ Bean and a Ham & Cheese croissant from La Baguette (Granville Island) - $6 (The view is free)

Lunch - Pho from Kim Phung - $7

Snack - Pappusas from La Salza (Burnaby) - 3 for $5

Dinner - Pork Belly & a Stella at Nu - $26 (or forget the snack and have the Fried Olives!)

A.

breakfast: starve

lunch: starve

dinner: pig out on $44 worth of sushi at Ajisai or Toshi's

:laugh:

Edited by flowbee (log)
album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008

Don't let the Liquor Board hear about that!  Sounds almost like Happy Hour!

I don't get it. Are Happy Hours not allowed in Vancouver? And I thought I lived in a Puritan Country! :wacko:

BC Liquor Laws are designed to discourage overconsumption. Therefore, all discounted prices (specials) for alcoholic beverages must run from open to close, unlike Happy Hour which encourages people to go out for an hour or two after work and pound back a bunch of drinks within a limited time.

There is no regulation in terms of pricing or costing for food, so complimentary hors d'oeuvres and other food are perfectly acceptable.

900 West Lounge does offer complimentary snacks M-F from 5pm to 6:30pm. They have 7 selections that rotate on a daily basis. Get there on one of the days that chicken drummettes are offered, they're very good. Other days they have: Har Gow & Sui Mai, Mushroom tartlets, Spanakopitas, Samosas and I forget the rest.

Drinks are expensive ($10 for martinis), but the food does make it more bearable.

Ian McTavish

General Manager / Capones Restaurant & Live Jazz Club

Don't let the Liquor Board hear about that!  Sounds almost like Happy Hour!

I don't get it. Are Happy Hours not allowed in Vancouver? And I thought I lived in a Puritan Country! :wacko:

BC Liquor Laws are designed to discourage overconsumption. Therefore, all discounted prices (specials) for alcoholic beverages must run from open to close, unlike Happy Hour which encourages people to go out for an hour or two after work and pound back a bunch of drinks within a limited time.

There is no regulation in terms of pricing or costing for food, so complimentary hors d'oeuvres and other food are perfectly acceptable.

900 West Lounge does offer complimentary snacks M-F from 5pm to 6:30pm. They have 7 selections that rotate on a daily basis. Get there on one of the days that chicken drummettes are offered, they're very good. Other days they have: Har Gow & Sui Mai, Mushroom tartlets, Spanakopitas, Samosas and I forget the rest.

Drinks are expensive ($10 for martinis), but the food does make it more bearable.

...actually, if you read the fine print ~ salty foods and foods the promotes excess 'beverage' consumtion are against the law...

Try putting double salted peanuts on your bar and see how long it takes the LDB licencing to close you down...

Chef/Owner/Teacher

breakfast-cinnamon bun and coffee from sollys

lunch- vera's llunch special

dinner- hsg for hangar steak

back to vera's in kits for some extrem slab ice cream- with peanut mms and choc sauce and a walk on kits beach

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage

Breakfast - Sunshine Diner - $10

- Takes care of being in Kits

Lunch - Toss up between Go Fish or Au Petite - $10

- Takes care of being in Granville Island or Middle of Main ;)

Snack - Savoury Island Pie Company - $7

- West Vancouver/North Vancouver

Dinner - Shanghai River (That taro duck dish rocks) - $17

- Richmond goodness

Ideally I'd like to finish with a drink at Nu. But depends how many Subs I buy from Au Petite :biggrin:

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Come on people.. you honestly can't eat just a single entrée for dinner!

Brunch: Continental Breakfast, Nu - 8

Snack: A cup of Brazil Fazenda Santa Ines, Caffè Artigiano - 5

Dinner Appetizer: B.C. Halibut Congee, Wild Rice - 6

Dinner Entrée: Su Dong Po Wild Boar, Wild Rice - 14

Dessert: Valrhona Trio, Diva at the Met - 11

44 exactly !

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

back to vera's in kits for some extrem slab ice cream- with peanut mms and choc sauce and a walk on kits beach

We just noticed the extreme slab ice cream station at Vera's tonight. mmmmm...I'll be back for some of THAT.

The 'unicorn' challenge looks intruiging.

That challenge alone I think was like $29? Leaving $15 for like 50 skewers of satay from Hawker's Delight.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Coffee is not a snack! Are you sure you can last from brunch til dinner on a cup of coffee? The continental brunch must be huge...what's included? Is it served everyday or just on Sundays?

Coffee is too a snack - especially when it's the best coffee in the world!! (though it tasted just like any espresso to me.. i'm no coffee connoisseur)

The continental brunch at nu is a selection of pastries, with the coffee/tea and oj.. and yeah, you're right. it's probably not enough to tide you over til dinner - it's quite a light meal. it's served whenever nu does brunch, i think. i havent been there for about 3 months, so their menu may have changed.

you could ditch the expensive coffee + light brunch and get a nice filling lunch though!

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

We just noticed the extreme slab ice cream station at Vera's tonight. mmmmm...I'll be back for some of THAT.

The 'unicorn' challenge looks intruiging.

That challenge alone I think was like $29? Leaving $15 for like 50 skewers of satay from Hawker's Delight.

one of our staff tried it got 3/4 of the way through then called in sick for 3 days, after cleaning HER system out. Come to think of it can that be considered abuse of an employee :shock:

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage

dinner- hsg for hangar steak

Main Entry: 1han·gar

Pronunciation: 'ha[ng]-&r, 'ha[ng]-g&r

Function: noun

Etymology: French

: SHELTER, SHED; especially : a covered and usually enclosed area for housing and repairing aircraft

sounds like an unusual steak. maybe you mean hanger?

Edited by eatvancouver (log)

Jason

Editor

EatVancouver.net