• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Animals Rights Protestors Shut Cat-Meat Restaurant

johnsmith45678

Grub,

Evidently the answer is subjective.  ;)

Hah, :smile: well subjectiveness itself is subjective, and as such, once you've met people who don't believe in gravity you realize that it is somewhat irrelevant. Being well informed on the other hand, is very relevant, and important. You're not entitled to an opinion; you're entitled to an informed opinion -- there's a difference.

I could dig up the thread, if need be?

To Chinese as well, we consider cats are wild animals and put the cat dishes under “Game” section, such as 龙虎斗(The Fighting Dragon & Tiger). They are often served in Cantonese cuisine restaurants, and they bring lots of business for the owners. I heard many Americans say, “Cantonese foods are my favorite!” I guess they don’t know what the Cantonese cuisine is totally about.

[...]

These statements do sound like cat meats are served in every Cantonese restaurant. From my 20+ years of experience living in Hong Kong and many visits to Guangzhou (two major cities that offer the best Cantonese food), I can assure our audience that it is not the case. Yes I have heared of "龙虎斗(The Fighting Dragon & Tiger)". But if someone just walks in to any Cantonese restaurant trying to order it, I am sure he/she will come out empty-handed (or empty-stomach'ed). You may need to go to some "specialty" restaurants to eat such a dish. I am not sure if it is legal to eat cats or dogs in Hong Kong.

In my circle of relatives and friends, I have not heard of anyone who had eaten cats.

So if less than 1% of the population would even consider eating cats, would that qualifies it to generalize us Cantonese, and "often"? I suspect not.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"