• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

$40 a day in Seattle

The Rachel Ray topic got me thinking: Where would I recommend spending $40 for 1 day of eating in Seattle. My qualifications would be great food (obviously), and Seattle specific experiences and atmosphere.

I'll start (I'm guessing at prices):

Breakfast: Old fashioned Glazed, Pink Feather Boa, Cup of Coffee - Top Pot Doughnuts - $6

Lunch: Blackened Salmon Sandwich - Market Grill - $9

Dinner: Any two $8 plates - Union Happy Hour - $16

Dessert: Salted Peanut Butter Ice Cream - Veil - $8

Edited by hhlodesign (log)

I'm not including tax and tip, like they do on the show, but here's what I'd do with $40.

BREAKFAST: strawberry danish and coffee, Cafe Besalu $6

LUNCH: hot meat plate (with porchetta, 2 slices cotechino, 2 slices of grilled lamb, 2 meat balls, and side of bread) and a soft drink, Salumi, $14

HAPPY HOUR: 2 Cascadia sliders (sorry, can't afford any cheese or extra toppings), Cascadia, $2....and a martini at Zig Zag's, $8

DINNER (if you really think you can still eat after that enormous lunch!): banh xeo, Green Leaf, $7

DESSERT: Valrhona Le Noir bar, Trader Joe's $3

Dayam...that's a lot of food!!!!

Edited by Ling (log)

Also not including tax or tip, because Rachel Ray tips horribly

Breakfast: Zvezda from Piroshky Piroshky $4, Drip Coffee from Cafe Vita $3

Lunch: Ouefs Plat and Pate from Le pichet $14

Happy Hour: Any item from the Union bar menu $8

Dinner: Garlic Pepper with Chicken 4.5 stars from Thai Thom's $8

Dessert: Single serving of gelato from Bottega Italia $3

Rocky

4 1/2 stars from Thai Thom's?! Are you crazy??

me:

breakfast:

croissant from besalu & coffee OR

maple cake donut from Top Pot & coffee

lunch:

catfish sandwich from Matt's in the Market

Dinner:

umm maybe the Lamb burger from Moxie (during happy hour only $6!)

Dessert:

chocolat chaud from Le Pichet

OK, so I was lazy and didn't confirm all the prices....

Born Free, Now Expensive

Lazily leaving out the prices:

Breakfast: Maybe a croissant from Le Panier and some fresh-squeezed juice as I wake up with the vendors at Pike Place Market. Oh, I know there might be better breakfast choices, but location, location, location makes me want to start the day at the Market.

Lunch: Meat plate at Salumi. Gotta have as much meat as possible!

Afternoon tea: Panama Tea House. What a place to relax!

Dinner: Almost any dish at the Malay Satay Hut. I'd probably go for the dry curried baby squids. Can you say "tender"? If more people, I'd share a plate of the pork chops. Seem so simple, yet so good!

Dessert: Chocolate chaud at Le Pichet.

Hmm... full-circleness to this day.

Edited by dimsumfan (log)

My $40 a day (not including tip)

Breakfast: TOP POT - 2 Chocolate covered yellow cake donuts and a large drip coffee w/ lots of cream & sugar. $6

Lunch: JITTERBUG - Jitterburger with shoestring potatoes and a Coke. $10

Dinner: PAZZOS - Small Canadian Bacon, Pepperoni, Sausage, Salami, Mushrooms, & Pineapple Pizza and Root Beer $20

Dessert: DAIRY QUEEN - Large Dipped Ice Cream Cone $4

Edited by elswinger (log)

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

I must confess I have never had Gelato (I'm simple guy). It was hard not putting Taco Bell in there somewhere.

The alternative would be:

Breakfast: 7-11 Quarter Pound Big Bite Hot Dog and Starbucks Vanilla Frapachino $4

Lunch: Pint Small Curd Cottage Cheese and a Cream Soda $4

Dinner Red Fin Sushi Assorted sushi & coke $26

Dessert Tullys 20oz. Chocolate Shake $6

Edited by elswinger (log)

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Jeffrey Steingarten had a great column a few months ago about soft serve in which he tried to recreate DQ soft serve but starting with quality ingredients. But he admitted that DQ soft serve is pretty good to start with. I agree--when I'm downtown I'm often torn between Bottega Italiana and DQ.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Burgerville soft serve is even better then DQ (but no choco) and I'm a DQ soft serve fan. I think because they use a Sunshine mix (which some gelati places use as their base too). You can keep the wax coating at DQ though! I'm a wuss and mostly get the kid sized cone, which usually keeps it under a buck...

regards,

trillium

Jeffrey Steingarten had a great column a few months ago about soft serve in which he tried to recreate DQ soft serve but starting with quality ingredients. But he admitted that DQ soft serve is pretty good to start with. I agree--when I'm downtown I'm often torn between Bottega Italiana and DQ.

Where's the downtown DQ?

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Where's the downtown DQ?

Just looked it up. Until now, I thought DQ was completely defunct in the city.

Turns out that Dairy Queen shares the Orange Julius space at the Westlake Center and Northgate Mall foodcourts. It's a revelation!

Peanut. Buster. Parfait. Mmmm.

Didn't see the article but all this talk about soft serve brought back fond memories of frozen custard. If you've never had this delicacy and are in a part of the country that has a frozen custard stand (Google it), you must try it. I'd be over 300 pounds if there were sources around here. Next time you're in Las Vegas, stop in at Luv-It Frozen Custard...it's an institution.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

I will be in Seattle in a few weeks soon so this thread will be very useful to me.

Do you really allot four meals like Rachel Ray does? I usually skip breakfast. I might even skip lunch if it means that I can have a better dinner. I notice the thread topic does not require four meals, so perhaps it would be more interesting to see how you would spend $40. Would you skip meals, go for one big meal?

Given Kent's request.

I usually skip breakfast so....

Lunch: Porchetta Sandwich at Salumi - $9

Dinner: Monsoon

grilled monetary squid stuffed with duck meat and dried shitake $8

braised korabuta pork belly with dark soy and star anise $15

Dessert: Salted Peanut Buter Ice Cream at Veil - $8

I always need a good breakfast and in fact think it's cheating when RR has a cup of coffee and pastry/donut for breakfast to keep within $40. Anyway.

Breakfast: Jade Garden: Tea and dim sum, $9 (okay, this is an estimate based on at least 2 people eating, but you could eat there cheaply alone, too, just with not as much variety)

Lunch: Market Grill, Salmon sandwich, $9

Snack: 2 flavors of Bottega gelato, $3

Dinner: Green Leaf, Buhn Xeo or just about anything else there-$7 I'd also put myself a couple bucks over my budget to get the fresh spring roll appetizer

Cocktail: Whatever is the house special at Sambar, $10

That was actually pretty hard-there are a lot of good cheap eats in this town. You could have a great $40 day never leaving the Market.

Edited by kiliki (log)