• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Traveling to the Middle East

My goodness, I can't wait to get there!!! I'm going to stuff myself silly. Can't wait to taste it all. The lemon mint drink sounds so refreshing.

Swisskaese, thanks for the tip on the food fair. Very cool. And I will have to pick up some saffron for my mom.

Oh, and I plan to eat lots of shawarma too!! :biggrin:

Edited by Tweety69bird (log)

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

The food fair is great. You can have Persian, Iraqi, Japanese, Druze, Argentinian, Dutch, Chinese, pastries, halvah, cheese from a boutique dairy, liqueurs and jams, homemade chocolates, artisanal breads....on and on.

They may also have a food fair at one of the malls in Haifa, but I am not sure.

I buy carob honey from a local beekeeper that has a stand at the food fair in Ra'anana.

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

Oh No, Rogov, tell me it isn't so! felafel hamalchot closed!

Hi Marlena,

True, QUEENS are "dead" , but rest assure there are many other 'Nouvele Falafel' joints and lots of "traditional" places to fill all your Falafel needs.

Just hop over, I'll supply you with the F-Map.

Boaziko

"Eat every meal as if it's your first and last on earth" (Conrad Rosenblatt 1935)

http://foodha.blogli.co.il/

Oh No, Rogov, tell me it isn't so! felafel hamalchot closed!

Hi Marlena,

True, QUEENS are "dead" , but rest assure there are many other 'Nouvele Falafel' joints and lots of "traditional" places to fill all your Falafel needs.

Just hop over, I'll supply you with the F-Map.

Boaziko

Boaziko, i'm ready. i really am. i wish it were tomorrow....felafel: nouvele, traditional, they're all yummy.

thanks!

marlena.

ps and i remember their cocktail of grapefruit juice and arak was it? so refreshing to go with the fried chickpea balls.

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

If I'm not too late, I would recommend Falafel Zohar in Haifa; it's in Mirkaz Ziv, by the Technion. Best falafel in Haifa, to my taste; their pita is also extraordinarily fresh. They don't have a huge salad selection, having recently dropped even the salt-pickled eggplants, but they are simply the best.

Additionally, the bakery in Ziv is one of the better in Haifa. The bakery in Mirkaz by the gas station -- I forget the name -- is also good.

If you're looking for good baklava and other local pastries around Haifa, the best I've found are in the Druze "village" of Daliat al'Carmel. The falafel there isn't bad, either, and is in a more Arabic style.

For sit-down traditional cuisine, Fatoush in the German Colony is your best bet. Try the limon-nana (lemonade with mint).

Welcome to eGullet michael_g!

I really hate threads like this. They make me realize, time and time again, that it's been much too long since I've been to Israel.

I'm taking notes!

Welcome michael_g!! Thanks for the information, and you're not too late, I leave on Thursday. I plan to take pics and post later on.... although I'm not too quick with processing pictures.

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse