• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Learning to use a wok

Dianne

I have a friend who would like to learn about wok cooking and has asked me to recommend a good book for the beginner. The books I learned from are old and out of print. What current books should I suggest? What about Breath of the Wok ( is that the right name?)?

Thanks for your help

Dianne Ross

Thanks Chris. I had read about the book, but had not seen it. I will pass this along to my friend.

Dianne.

Barbara Tropp's

The Modern Art of Chinese Cooking...

she wrote the book...

-m

Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yan Kit So's Classic Chinese Cookbook

Far superior, IMHO, in almost every way to Barbara Tropp's book. Includes all the info in Modern Art...but has photographs giving instructions on how to do things, but lacks the painstaking levels of detail in the recipes in Barbara Tropp's book, which are useful for the very novice Chinese cook.

I have had both books for years, and in terms of learning how to use a wok and cleaver and have recipes that are tempting and accomplishable, Yan Kit's book wins every time and is the one I turn to time and again.

I dont own Breath of a Wok, but from discussions around eGullet, the general consensus is that its a very worthy book for wok information, if not indispensable in terms of the recipes it provides.

Have fun!

Raj

thanks Raj and Akebono. I will pass this on to my friend. I have Barbara Tropp's book and love it. I hope it is still in print. I have never heard of Kan Yit So book, but I will look for it.

Dianne