• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dong Chib/Chip (poo house)

I am not sure if this post belongs here or in the media forum....

I recently watched the newest episode of No reservations and I was skeptical about the chicken anus/sphincter (?) that Anthony and Nari were eating. I did a little research online and I believe that what they actually ate were kidneys or gizzards.

I even called my mother to ask her what in the heck it was and she said that the chicken butt was in fact a gizzard. She also said it was a chicken butt too? (sometimes communication with my mother is iffy)

So what in the heck is it? Rectum? Sphincter muscle? Gizzard? Kidney?

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

I guess there's no established Korean food forum, so this must be the place. . .

I had dong chib at a Korean drinking house in Oakland a few years ago. When my friends explained what it was to me, I was kind of confused b/c I would've thought that a sphincter muscle would be more like calamari rings in shape (since it's a circular muscle). Instead, the meat pieces seemed more nugget-like. I think this might have been followed by a round of jokes about how chickens were tight "down there."

The dish was kind of like hush puppies, or actually, like rocky mountain oysters (cow testes), chopped up and batter fried -- basically, they were peppery, fried and just somehow unexpected in texture. The flavor wasn't especially notable.

I thought it was gizzards the whole time. I have had these things a few times before. They taste great, but the texture is unsettling. Meat ain't supposed to have the crunch of vegetables.

My guess is that they are gizzards, but it's more entertaining to say that they are the "House of Poo." I mean, this is a country where a popular costumed children's character's trademark is farting every time he's happy.

<a href='http://www.zenkimchi.com/FoodJournal' target='_blank'>ZenKimchi Korean Food Journal</a> - The longest running Korean food blog

have more faith in your parents!

sometimes they know what theyre talking about!!

I did until she kept saying yes to : "Is it gizzards or spincter?"

by the way, I LOVE gizzards :biggrin:

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

You know, I'm still not sure. I've watched that scene three times now. Yes, I see the gizzards, which is what I tried. Yet Tony is holding something up in his chopsticks that looks different in a few quick shots.

<a href='http://www.zenkimchi.com/FoodJournal' target='_blank'>ZenKimchi Korean Food Journal</a> - The longest running Korean food blog

Ah, I was going back through some old pics, and I found what we think was one of the things Tony was eating. These, I'm pretty sure were chicken gizzards. Loaded with garlic and black pepper -- oh, flavor was so good. Texture -- oh, so bad.

(Oh, and those are my core eating adventurers Brant and Young Joon.)

normal_DSCN0499.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I've never come across an organ meat I didn't like until chicken gizzard. My parents use to make this and the texture really turned me off. Tough and rubbery.

When it comes to chicken organs, its hard to beat the liver.

I've never come across an organ meat I didn't like until chicken gizzard.  My parents use to make this and the texture really turned me off.  Tough and rubbery. 

When it comes to chicken organs, its hard to beat the liver.

Agreed, but gizzard is fine if it's cooked long enough and basted (e.g.).

Michael aka "Pan"

• 2 months later...

They could've been the butt end of the chicken, including the droop of fat that flops over at the back. I've had these as yakitori in a Soho Japanese place, and my Korean reference (who's off galivanting somewhere with my money) recognized them as an edible option. I could see them getting mixed in with other chicken offal.

Interestingly enough, they're a part of British food culture called either the "Biship's" or "Pope's" nose.

Is there any part of any animal that isn't eaten in Korean cuisine?