• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

blu in montclair

SaxChik

for father's day, my sister and i took my dad to a NJ jackals game. i was looking for good restaurants in montclair and read through your threads. we decided on blu.

for appetizers, i had their special, cold cucumber soup with smoked trout, my dad had their duck special with an asian sauce and sister had the tuna sashimi off their menu.

for dinner, my dad and i had their special, short ribs with barley & onions in a wine reduction with portabello mushrooms and my sister had the monk fish with green peas. (sorry, i should have brought home a menu or wrote down exactly what each dish was, the dishes were different than the menu online and i know i'm missing ingredients ...)

for dessert, i had the almond-basil-riccota with fresh fruit (strawberries and blueberries), my dad had the coconut tapioca pudding with papaya & mango and my sister had the vanilla bean creme brulee.

the restaurant was nicely decorated (simple and chic), the waitstaff was lovely and the food was outstanding. i'm sorry i live so far away (chester county, pa) or i'd make it a regular stop.

so thanks for the good tip, NJ gulleteers! if you're ever out in my neck of the woods, i'd be happy to recommend places for you!

"The perfect lover is one who turns into pizza at 4am."

Charles Pierce

It's true...but I'm not alone in being a little disappointed in it after visits the last couple of months. Just a slight falling enough, but enough so that when I took some first-timers two weeks ago they were unimpressed. Hopefully just a dip.

Blu is one of the best restaurants in NJ and received an Excellent from David Corcoran in the NJ section of the NY Times a few months ago.

I'm not sure if its one of the best restaurants in NJ, but on food alone

its some of the best food i have had anywhere

It's true...but I'm not alone in being a little disappointed in it after visits the last couple of months. Just a slight falling enough, but enough so that when I took some first-timers two weeks ago they were unimpressed. Hopefully just a dip.

Went last evening for at least the 5th time and can most happily report that we experienced "no dip". Everything from service to food was as always, exceptional. For my wife and I and our family and friends it has become a destination restaurant and for good reason. Not to open old wounds and discussions but if only Northern Bergen County had anything even close.

Hank

Went last evening for at least the 5th time and can most happily report that we experienced "no dip". Everything from service to food was as always, exceptional. For my wife and I and our family and friends it has become a destination restaurant and for good reason. Not to open old wounds and discussions but if only Northern Bergen County had anything even close.

This is a great restaurant. I was there last week for the 4th time and also saw no decline. Nothing in Bergen County comes close.

I meant no harm! I absolutely love Blu and think that it's by far the best restaurant in Montclair, but as someone who goes there often (that was probably my 6th visit), I began to wish he'd at least shake up the menu. And I can only report what actually happened: In the past, first-timers I've taken agreed that the food was phenomenal. The last time my friends just shrugged. Maybe it was just an off night, but another pal who goes there as often as I do (which is as often as we can) had the same experience on a different night. I'm just going to give it a little rest and see what happens.