• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Goat Heads for Dinner

ChefCrash

This has to be the coolest thread ever. Before I went vegan, I bought meat at a halal butcher, who tried to sell me heads and brains of goat or sheep. Now I regret I never said yes :laugh: On Iceland they eat the eyes too, they supposedly have a very neutral taste. I never tried though, so can't tell.

Awesome :biggrin: In Greece, sheep heads are the norm, most shops that sell food on the spit (Rotissiried ?) chicken, baby pig, lamb obviously have few sheep/goats heads going as well.

After twenty two years in Greece I still can't bring myself to try one but I have managed to reach the point where I can eat(without going off my meal) in the company of someone eating a head....took a loooooong tome :biggrin::biggrin:

Yummy! I was practically drooling. I love brain,... creamy, savory... mmmMMmmm... and leftover brain can be scrambled with eggs and toasted minced garlic. Wonderful over fried rice or in a sandwich.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Awesome :biggrin: In Greece, sheep heads are the norm, most shops that sell food on the spit (Rotissiried ?) chicken, baby pig, lamb obviously have  few sheep/goats heads going as well.

After twenty two years in Greece I still can't bring myself to try one but I have managed to reach the point where I can eat(without going off my meal) in the company of someone eating a head....took a loooooong tome :biggrin:  :biggrin:

as a greek, i was going to post the same thing :P

my mom loves them, i could only eat the cheeks (bit small though), havent tried it for ages though, and i would be more courageous to try other parts as well

Abra - my family (and a lot of Filipinos) have been eating brains since we can remember. The way we cook brains is to poach it first in some water, salt and pepper. Then when the brains have cooked, then we saute it with garlic and then it gets scrambled in eggs. I guess all that cooking has made it safe all these times.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

I'm not squeamish and I'm all for not sticking my head in the sand in regards to where my food comes from but, unless there are some secret morsels of really tasty meat tucked away in there somewhere, there wouldn't be much point in it for me. I haven't met a piece of offal I've liked yet, and some I've been persistent in trying to learn to enjoy. Still a cool thread though, I'm glad somebody is making use of and enjoying the parts I don't.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.