• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Delicia Limon

gfron1

A friend just returned from Italy, and the highlight of their trip was "discovering" Delicia Limon. THey couldn't tell me much except that it had a lemon liquor and reminded them of tiramisu. Does anyone have a recipe to share?

Thanks

I don't know, but my guess would be Northern since they travelled to Germany as well.

The Name is "Delizia al Limone" and it is a modern dessert that was created in Sorrento using the special local lemon.

It is a dome shaped sponge cake (pan di spagna), like a beatifull "breast" they say, soaked in "limoncello" liquor, emptied in the centre and then filled with lemon pastry cream, and finally covered with italian Chantilly cream (pastry cream mixed with double cream).

Here is an example from Salvatore De Riso, probably the most famous pastry chef of the "Costiera Sorrentina"

Is the double cream just stirred into the pastry cream to thin it out a bit? Or is the cream whipped, then folded into the pastry cream?

YOu can do both depending on the application. As a "semi-liquid" topping in this case, depending on the consistency of your "pastry cream" you may want to half-whip or fully whip it. The main difference is that French Chantilly is made only with Dairy cream and sugar, while the italian one is made by mixing Pastry cream (crema pasticcera) and Dairy cream (panna).

Ciao

Thank you for all the information, Pizza Napoletana. Here is a recipe/small discussion of "crema chantilly". http://italianfood.about.com/od/tastysweet.../a/aa052405.htm

I have some recipes for "Torta Delizia" which also sound good but this lemon variation sounds particularly appealing. The Torta Delizia recipes I have consist of layers of pan di spagna (Italian sponge cake) moistened with rum or Maraschino, layered with jam or pastry cream and then completely covered with a basketweave of almond paste which is lightly baked.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Thank you for all the information, Pizza Napoletana.  Here is a recipe/small discussion of "crema chantilly".  http://italianfood.about.com/od/tastysweet.../a/aa052405.htm

Good discussion, however Crema Pasticcera is often flavoured (and always in Campania/ Sorrento/Naples region) with lemon zest.

The recipe in the discussion doesn’t call for lemon zest and doesn’t mention that many Italian may use potato starch instead of flour.

• 1 month later...

I finally was able to pull this off. Thank you to everyone who helped steer me in the right direction. Ultimately, no one had a full recipe, so I pulled a variety of recipes that seem to have re-created it.

Here's my how to (soon to go in recipe gullet):

Start with a Pan di Spagna cake. Mixing the batter to be as light as possible:

deliciabatter1.jpg

deliciabatter2.jpg

deliciabatter3.jpg

Then I buttered, floured and filled my dome pans:

dustedpans.jpg

batterpan.jpg

Baked:

cookedcake.jpg

Hollowed out and filled with the lemon pastry cream:

filledcakes.jpg

Then the Chantilly Cream:

deliciachantilly.jpg

And finally the end result:

deliciakindacloseup.jpg

deliciacloseup.jpg

Edited by gfron1 (log)

Good discussion, however Crema Pasticcera is often flavoured (and always in Campania/ Sorrento/Naples region) with lemon zest.

The recipe in the discussion doesn’t call for lemon zest and doesn’t mention that many Italian may use potato starch instead of flour.

Wheat starch is for sure preferred over potatoes

Actually, it was a friend who had it in Italy. So tonight will be the test. I saved 2 to take to their house so they can tell me how close (or far off) from the original I was. It was a super dessert for a summer night. A guest said it was the best non-chocolate dessert they had ever had. I wouldn't go that far, but it was pretty darn good. One thing that I learned was that the limoncello needs to be one that you like. I had a good one (Profumi della Costiera - purchased from Keller Wines in SF), but I found it someone biting. I also chose to use lemon oil instead of just zest, and that was a good choice.

Edited by gfron1 (log)

Wheat starch is for sure preferred over potatoes

Franci,

In Italian patisserie they use "Amido" or "Amido di Patate", which is Potato starch......

Ciao

I finally was able to pull this off.  Thank you to everyone who helped steer me in the right direction.  Ultimately, no one had a full recipe, so I pulled a variety of recipes that seem to have re-created it.

Start with a Pan di Spagna cake.  Mixing the batter to be as light as possible:

And finally the end result:

deliciakindacloseup.jpg

deliciacloseup.jpg

That looks beautiful! :wub:

Does anyone in Rome serve this? I LOVE lemon!

S. Cue

I finally was able to pull this off.  Thank you to everyone who helped steer me in the right direction.  Ultimately, no one had a full recipe, so I pulled a variety of recipes that seem to have re-created it.

They look truly beautiful, gfron! I hope you do have the chance to put the recipe in RecipeGullet. I love lemon desserts...

Your friends must have been pleasantly surprised with your culinary reprieve of their trip!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

It should already be in RecipeGullet. Also, I shared one with the friends who told me about it originally. They said it was really good (the polite answer) and that my lemoncello was "more biting" than theirs (the honest answer). And, that the cake was a bit heavier than what they had - I can work on that one :)

oops... I should have looked first. Thank you!

Does anyone in Rome serve this? I LOVE lemon!

I've had it at Scarpone in the Monteverde Vecchio neighborhood (and it was pretty great).

Scarpone sounds great! We are taking our ten year old to Rome in November. Any recs for restaurants and great food shopping would be appreciated! Thanks!

Edited by scordelia (log)

S. Cue