• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ground rice cheesecake?

An English client of mine said her grandmother from Lincolnshire used to make it.....It was also sold in bakeries. Her recipe was lost when grandma died.....go figure. I almost thought it could have been a Bakewell Tart, but have thought otherwise.

She describes it like this:

It was a tea time specialty, pastry lined with a filling involving ground rice, eggs, sugar and perhaps some flour.  It was baked and served in slices with the centre a cross between cake and a puddingy texture.

OK, there are lots of different cheesecake recipe in England. Originally, they were made with fresh curds (the cheese), like an extant Yorkshire curd tart, but by the 17th-18th century the curds were often substituted for ground almonds etc.

I have a recipe for Lincolnshire cheese cake at home, but this is of the curd type. I know of other recipes with ground rice, but these are 17th century recipes.

If you want I could post a few recipes and you could try your luck?

The Lent Tart sure looks to be a likely candidate.

I saw some Bakewell Tart recipes on the web that used a mixture of ground almonds and ground rice.

In some of my cookbooks that focus on older US Southern cuisine and have dessert recipes closer to their English roots there are tarts called "cheesecakes" that are filled with a mixture of ground nuts (almonds or peanuts, for eg.), butter and egg. They contain no cheese.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"