• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rachael Ray’s Tasty Travels: Seattle

Wendy is right. Save your money! LEdlund is right too about the “memories of your youth” Dicks is an institution, but for me, it’s way more about the nostalgia (the Broadway one brings back memories, but I was a lower queen anne dicks girl). But, seriously, as many good memories as it might bring back, I would never eat there. For some reason, nearly twenty years ago, I decided the burgers there were gross and I never ate there again. (but I still do think fondly of Dicks – but I think everyone that does spent a good part of their teenage years there when we were too young to know better)

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

I've said it before....and I am sure that I will again.... :laugh:

I'm an unapologetic lover of Dicks.

Er, wait...maybe that didn't come out right.... :laugh::raz::laugh:

I know that I am swimming against the tide here, but don't care.

I've never had an In and Out Burger that has really wowed me. (I've wanted to love them, really I did.)

I will agree though, that the thought of Dick's being presented as even slightly gourmet is laughable. I would group it under "Local Institution that you have to try at least once"...

And then get the hell out of my way. Because of you, I'm having to wait to get my deluxe and two specials fix. :cool:

~Jason

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

The burgers are overcooked, flabbery and greasy. The fries are undercooked, flabbery and greasy. The shakes are fresh and frosty, and the sodas always fizzy and sweet.

Dick's is one of my comfort food hangouts, precisely because it hits all the spots - greasy, salty, squoshy, pickley, topped off with cold, sweet thick shakes. Nothing like it at the end of a bad day, or after bad news. My friend who had some particuarly evil cancers would light up when I brought her a bag o'Dick burgers and a strawberry shake. Bless them, they've done their bit to make some hard knocks better....

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Fai Jai you just made me really laugh!!!

btw Dayne and I just had Burgerville burgers while driving back from portland and they were NOT good. Over cooked, dry, tasteless. I don't care if it is local it was not tastey and I won't be stopping there again.

Fai Jai you just made me really laugh!!!

btw Dayne and I just had Burgerville burgers while driving back from portland and they were NOT good. Over cooked, dry, tasteless. I don't care if it is local it was not tastey and I won't be stopping there again.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Say it, Sistah! :raz:

I agree. Burgerville is another one of those places that I have desperately wanted to like/love. Local-ish ingredients, and a goal of trying to be better then the "big chains".

Sadly, they have never really impressed me.

Did you go to the one in Centralia?

P.s. --- Every one that I ever talk to also loves Carl's Jr. Have they gotten better?

~Jason

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

Gary and I just got back from Portland and we also stopped at Burgerville (I believe it was in Chehalis?). I have to say a big ditto to what LMF said above. Dry, tasteless, gut-bomb of a burger, fries and sweet potato fries were average and the shake was not cold enough so tasted like chocolate froth. Yuck! (also, no onion rings in the winter for some reason??)

RE: Carl's Jr. - I'd say they've gotten worse, although I've only eaten at the Visalia one recently, not the Bay area ones I used to haunt. Still like the fried zucchini with ranch dressing, though, and the super-star was not bad. Gary always loved the Western Bacon Cheeseburger with the onion ring on it.

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2