• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rachael Ray’s Tasty Travels: Seattle

I heartily endorse Wendy's opinion, particularly in regards to In and Out. Dick's is OK, but the other two places are a level of magnitude above.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

I heartily endorse Wendy's opinion, particularly in regards to In and Out.  Dick's is OK, but the other two places are a level of magnitude above.

Bare in mind, this is only my opinion as a Californian raised on In-N-Out. I respectfully give it knowing others may disagree:

Dick's is not OK!!!! Dick's is CRAP!!!! It is, without a doubt, the worst tasting, worst quality, worst texture, worst in all other catagories, fast food burger on the face of the earth!

Other than the immense gap in the quality of the burger between In-N-Out and Dick's, the beauty of In-N-Out is the fact that as long as they have the ingredients in the back, they will make anything for you. Whether you know about the "secret menu" or not. Just ask them for anything they have in any combination and they'll do it. This as opposed to Dick's who will make no changes to any of their menu items whatsoever. Including adding cheese to a burger. Not only will they not add it, they give you shit when you ask for it.

The fries at In-N-Out and Dick's are equally bad.

I haven't been to Burgerville, but Jan and Michael Stern rave about it.

Dick's is not OK!!!! Dick's is CRAP!!!! It is, without a doubt, the worst tasting, worst quality, worst texture, worst in all other catagories, fast food burger on the face of the earth!

So much anger and passion in your words....!! :laugh:

~Ling (still hasn't eaten at Dick's)

OK, Henry, In-N-Out versus Fatburger...what say you?

My husband is in CA as I write and I'm stuck in Texas for the week. Sorry Texans but it's slim pickin's in Grapevine, TX....LOL

I know my husband is having a field day. In-N-Out/Jerry's Deli/Pink's Hot Dogs... :shock:

OK, Henry,  In-N-Out versus Fatburger...what say you?

My husband is in CA as I write and I'm stuck in Texas for the week.  Sorry Texans but it's slim pickin's in Grapevine, TX....LOL

I know my husband is having a field day.  In-N-Out/Jerry's Deli/Pink's Hot Dogs... :shock:

Yeah, but....

Tejas has brisket and Tex-Mex...mmmmmm! :raz:

And peeps who have the machines to make frozen margaritas! :wink:

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

My husband is in CA as I write and I'm stuck in Texas for the week.  Sorry Texans but it's slim pickin's in Grapevine, TX....LOL

I know my husband is having a field day.  In-N-Out/Jerry's Deli/Pink's Hot Dogs... :shock:

Yeah, but....

Tejas has brisket and Tex-Mex...mmmmmm! :raz:

And peeps who have the machines to make frozen margaritas! :wink:

***And I have an 89 year-young Mom who's idea of Mexican food is FAJITAS....LOL. Thanks for the tip. OH I'm drinkin' whatever they are pouring this week. Actually had a really good Sidecar with dinner last night (-:

The fries at In-N-Out and Dick's are equally bad.

While I heartily agree that In-N-Out's burgers are way superior to Dick's (albeit having enjoyed several of Dick's Deluxes while in altered state of consciousness at 1:30 am); I have to say unequivocally, that In-N-Out's fries are truly the worst I've ever eaten. I went for the first time recently, and while the burger was quite tasty (extra pickles, thank you!), the fries tasted like eating styrofoam. I kept trying another, hoping that I was wrong, and trying to figure out just how they managed to be so bad....blech!

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

Hi,

California person here, but I spend a fair amount of time traveling for work in the Seattle and Portland areas, so I appreciate the info I have gotten from this forum.

On the burger debate: In-and-Out is really not that great, their basic burger is better than what you get from the "major" burger chains. They are cheap and good for a snack. Their fries really are bad. I have heard that asking for the fries well-done is a secret, but that doesn't seem to help in my experience.

Fatburger is much better, my favorite thing there is onion rings. They are house made (not frozen) and cooked to order. Great! I also like that you can order a small burger (the "BabyFat") which leaves room for the onion rings. Fatburger's fries are also not that great.

Which leaves Burgerville. I LOVE Burgerville! They feature local ingredients and seasonal specials. They have a larger menu too. The burgers are good, with Tillamook cheddar. However, I am much more likely to order a halibut fish sandwich than a burger. In the fall, they have sweet potato fries and pumpkin milkshakes. The sweet potato fries are unbelievably good.

Hey, see you all next week, when I will be in Bellevue/Kirkland right by the BurgerMaster.

Pam

Pamela Fanstill aka "PamelaF"

I was a big fan of Fatburger when there were just a handful in SoCal. It was the first burger I had that included a fried egg and relish. (I used to tip the cashier to make my fried egg extra runny :wink: ) I was extremely excited when they opened one up here in Bellevue. Unfortunately, I found that the memory was far greater than the real thing. I found the one I tried up here to be no better than any average burger. I'll have to try one again when I'm back in SoCal. So I'll have to stand by my old favorite In-N-Out as the best fast food burger I've had. Although a Carl's Jr. Western Bacon Cheeseburger comes in a close second!

I can't wait to try Taylor's Refresher in SF and Burgerville in Portland!

Edited by hhlodesign (log)

I'll have to try one again when I'm back in SoCal. So I'll have to stand by my old favorite In-N-Out as the best fast food burger I've had. Although a Carl's Jr. Western Bacon Cheeseburger comes in a close second!

Hey FoodieGirl, you have to keep in mind that it's been YEAAAAAAAAARS since he's eaten at In-N-Out. So take his recommendation with a grain of salt.

Personally, I've only eaten at Fatburger once or twice a few years ago (in Issaquah, when it was cool to drive all the way down from Vancouver just to hit up Krispy Kreme :laugh: ) I thought the burger was decent, but nothing really special.

I was a big fan of Fatburger when there were just a handful in SoCal. It was the first burger I had that included a fried egg and relish. (I used to tip the cashier to make my fried egg extra runny :wink: ) I was extremely excited when they opened one up here in Bellevue. Unfortunately, I found that the memory was far greater than the real thing. I found the one I tried up here to be no better than any average burger. I'll have to try one again when I'm back in SoCal. So I'll have to stand by my old favorite In-N-Out as the best fast food burger I've had. Although a Carl's Jr. Western Bacon Cheeseburger comes in a close second!

Henry:I would definitely give In-N-Out the edge over Fatburger but I am now going to go WAY back down memory lane and ask....did you ever have a TOMMY'S?

A Tommy's truck used to stop by the hospital where I worked at my first job after high school.....circa 1966 and most mornings I'd have a Tommy Chili-Burger for a 10AM snack..... :shock:

I know...what is more shocking...the snack or the year?..... :laugh::raz:

Ever had a Tommy's? Where does it rank?

Ling: Hey, talk about 'going back YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEARS look at when I was eating those Tommy-burgers.... :shock:

Char (alias Foodie-Girl/Charcoop on 'other' board)

Edited by Foodie-Girl (log)

Rachel Ray is not really a person I'd look to for any sort of guidance. I've never heard of anyone actually eating at the Crocodile and I can't imagine anyone just going there for the food. I never once went to Ivar's in the 3 years I lived in Seattle, and never had a desire to. Dick's is really a bad joke, especially since one of the better burger places in the country, Red Mill Burgers, is in Seattle. At least she got the Dahlia Lounge right.

• 1 month later...
I haven't seen the episode, but I really hope they didn't show a good looking burger. Dick's is crap! It would have been great to show on national television what Seattlites consider a "great" burger. When I was first taken there, I was horrified!  :shock:  Not to mention the fact that I bit into 2 pieces of bone or cartilage, out of two burgers. That's right; 2 for 2. This place is so ridiculously bad, I have no ideal what people from Seattle see in it. They even rave about the fries. The over-fried soggy mess that they make out of potatoes that Seattlites call "the best fries in Seattle!"  :shock: 

Huh?!??!  :huh: What am I missing?

Wait. That might be a little quick to judge there. Dick's quality improves in direct proportion to how much beer you've had. I know this. I had Dick's several times and mostly while quite drunk and the poor dd had to take me there. Wonderful and open ridiculously late. I also went there once sobre and was completely mortified. It was like that day you get told by someone that Santa does not, in fact, exist.

Beer + really bad greasy food = equilibrium.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I was just at Taylor's last week. The burger was great and the fries were good, but the truely memorable thing for me was the mango shake that was the special that day. Wow! What a shake.

cburnsi

Rachel Ray is not really a person I'd look to for any sort of guidance. I've never heard of anyone actually eating at the Crocodile and I can't imagine anyone just going there for the food. I never once went to Ivar's in the 3 years I lived in Seattle, and never had a desire to. Dick's is really a bad joke, especially since one of the better burger places in the country, Red Mill Burgers, is in Seattle. At least she got the Dahlia Lounge right.

I will admit I have had lunch at the Crocodile twice. Last year I worked for a company down in Belltown and we took turns picking a place for lunch once a week and this one woman kept picking the Croc. I went the first time and was openminded. The 2nd time I was wary......then just didn't go when it was her turn to pick. It wasn't HORRIBLE - it just wasn't worth it to go there and eat the food. I don't remember exactly what I even had - sandwhich and fries probably. But I would NOT pick that as a place to tell people to go to when the come to Seattle.

I'll digress on the burger front - Dick's sucks. In & Out is good! Carls Jr Sucks.

Tommy's was good when I had it 10 years ago and I think Fat Burger is just ok.

Who picks out the places she goes to anyway? Her staff? Does she have a "research" crew? Does anyone know this answer?

If you weren't born and raised in Seattle, don't go to Dick's, don't even bother.  You won't get it.  Not even all natives like it, but if you don't start at an early age, you definitely won't!

This is probably true. I really like Dick's burgers (though not their fries), but I recognize that my liking them is inseparable from nostalgia for my misspent youth. Still, it's hard to resist Dick's when I'm in Seattle...

I'll digress on the burger front - Dick's sucks. In & Out is good! Carls Jr Sucks.

Tommy's was good when I had it 10 years ago and I think Fat Burger is just ok.

I will admit that my fondness for Carl's Jr. and Tommy's, as a Southern Californian native, is probably similar to the Dick's effect here in Seattle.

I know for a fact this is the case with Fatburger because when I drove out to Issaquah when they opened one here a few years ago, my reaction was one of dismay! "This is what I was craving for so many years?!" Kind of like going back to Disneyland after a decade long absence, the memory is always better than reliving the real thing again.

It was said upthread. If you aren't from Seattle you won't really get Dick's Drive-In. No reason to be jealous, you have your memories from whatever lackluster local you hail from. Every six months or so I give in and get a Deluxe and a Cheeseburger and they taste EXACTLY the same as they did growing up. Beefy, pickle-y, Velveeta-y and perfect. I can imagine the taste right now.

If you can only rejoice in your youth-in-Southern California-burger chains and insist on nothing but the finest now that you're old and wise, suck on it. We will all be thinking of you, and thanking you, as we pull into the lot in Wallingford at midnight on a Thursday and spot that one open parking space right up front, where we can eat our fine food under the fluorescents.

May we move on now?

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

• 3 weeks later...

LOL!

Actually, the question that never got answered is 'who does RR's research?!' I'd like to know.

I agree with the general sentiment expressed about her here. I do think she's a "lowest common denominator" type of fake foodie front person, her audience is people who think they are foodies, but really aren't.

OK, that sounds snobby. So sue me.

Born Free, Now Expensive

• 2 months later...

RR is ba-a-a-ack! My daughter and her beau were Christmas shopping in Ballard and decided to stop in Volterra for an early dinner tonight. In walked Rachel Ray and crew to film a new Seattle segment. Who knows when the show will air, but I will be curious to learn where else she visited during this trek to Seattle. I, too, wonder who does her advance research...

I hope she wasn't trying to eat at Volterra for less than $40 a day.

RR is ba-a-a-ack! My daughter and her beau were Christmas shopping in Ballard and decided to stop in Volterra for an early dinner tonight. In walked Rachel Ray and crew to film a new Seattle segment. Who knows when the show will air, but I will be curious to learn where else she visited during this trek to Seattle. I, too, wonder who does her advance research...

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

I was at Volterra when RR's crew were wrapping up filming. Chef Don said that RR is on a book tour & selected a few restaurants across the country that she's highlighting on her talk show on CBS. Volterra is the only restaurant they filmed in Seattle. Good for them- they deserve it! I guess it will air sometime in January.