• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktails with Orgeat

Graphix

thought i had seen this topic befor, but cant find it when i search.

who has some other recipes to try using orgeat?

thanks

B

Other than what? The Mai Tai?

The Japanese isn't bad. It's a variation of the Old Fashioned.

2-3 ounces brandy

1/2 ounce orgeat

A few dashes of bitters

Build in an old fashioned glass over ice. Give it a few stirs and garnish as desired. :)

The Royal Hawaiian is weird. But maybe a good weird. I'm still not sure what to think of it.

2 ounces gin

1/2 ounce orgeat

1/2 ounce lemon juice

5 ounces pineapple juice

Build in a highball glass over ice. You can adjust the amount of lemon juice depending on how sweet your pineapple juice is.

Edited by mbanu (log)

hmm...just tried the royal hawaiian... tis ok. tastes like pineapple juice to me. actually measured out 5oz of pineapple so maybe with like 2-3 oz of pineapple. I think this would be better maybe as

2oz gin

1/2 oz orgeat

1/2 oz lemon

1 oz pineapple

shaken and served up in a cocktail glass? or flute?

but that was my last 2oz of gin so it will have to wait :-(

B

hmm...just tried the royal hawaiian... tis ok. tastes like pineapple juice to me.  actually measured out 5oz of pineapple so maybe with like 2-3 oz of pineapple. I think this would be better maybe as

2oz gin

1/2 oz orgeat

1/2 oz lemon

1 oz pineapple

shaken and served up in a cocktail glass? or flute?

but that was my last 2oz of gin so it will have to wait :-(

B

That one's interesting too. :) I can't seem to get a straight answer on the ratios, so I've never been sure if the Royal Hawaiian is a long drink or a cocktail. :)

A lot of the recipes I've seen on the net make it as a "highball in disguise", where you shake it and strain it into a cocktail glass, but the amount of pineapple juice to gin combined with the dilution from the ice makes it far too weak for a cocktail.

When I make it as a short drink, I usually cut the other mixers with the pineapple juice to avoid the problem. Like using 1/2 oz pineapple juice to 1/4 oz each of orgeat and lemon. Or 1/2 oz orgeat to 1/4 oz each of pineapple and lemon, or 1/2 oz lemon to 1/4 oz each orgeat and pineapple. :)

Edited by mbanu (log)

I have seen several cocktail receipts which substitute orgeat for simple syrup and usually in similar proportions. I remember a daquiri receipt right off hand that uses orgeat instead of sugar and is actually quite tasty.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.