• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mary Chung Restaurant / Cambridge

Jason Perlow

gallery_2_4_39137.jpg

The storefont on Mass. Ave in Cambridge. This particular location has been around for about 15 years now, but Mary Chung's has been serving Sichuan cuisine to hungry MIT students and faculty for about 25 years.

gallery_2_4_1310.jpg

Deceptively straightworward dining area conceals the hardcore Chinese served here.

gallery_2_4_1770.jpg

Suan La Chow Show — one of the signature dishes of the restaurant. These are meaty wonton skin dumplings served atop a bed of fresh bean sprouts, with a spicy and vinegary soy ginger sauce. Truly outstanding, its a must order if you go.

gallery_2_4_58453.jpg

Fried Tofu with Dun Dun Sauce. This is an alternative to Dun Dun noodles, which has the same tangy, spicy sauce with pork meat. The skin of the tofu is nice and crispy, with a custardy smooth tofu inside. I highly reccomend it.

gallery_2_4_70858.jpg

Kung Po Chi Ding — Kung Pao Chicken. White and Dark meat chicken, sauteed with sichuan peppercorn, hot chili peppers and peanuts in a brown sauce. One of the best renditions I have ever had.

Not shown which I took home was shrimp fried rice (the nice brown colored kind, with lots of peices of egg omelette in it, very good) and a very good scallion pancake (scallion pie).

This is a restaurant I will be sure to come back to in a couple of weeks.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

The Suan La Chow Show rules. I'd also stick with pretty much anything that is a Sichuan/Szechuan dish.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Made it over today..suan la show, chicken with dun dun noodles and yo siang pork. All great. A dish I didn't order but I remember as liking was "bon bon chicken"..a cold spicy dish.

Dessert was at Toscanini's Ice Cream..across the street and a few doors south..perfect way to end a Mary Chungs lunch. Their burnt caramel is a real highlight.

Thanks. It took somebody from Jersey to point out a place I should have known about. If you like Alsatian food, next time you're in Cambridge check out Sandrine's Bistro.

"Last week Uncle Vinnie came over from Sicily and we took him to the Olive Garden. The next day the family car exploded."

--Nick DePaolo