• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boston's North End

Jason Perlow

We have to do a segment on "Culinary Detective" about clam chowder in Boston. Most likely, we will also go through the steps of how it is made by a particular chef/restaurant.

Since there are numerous places that serve clam chowder in Boston, does anybody have a particularly memorable or favorite place to recommend?

Not much clam chowder in the North End except for Neptune, as Jason has already mentioned.

I never had the chowder, but people sorta rave about it at Union Oyster House. In fact, curiously, I have heard by numerous people that pretty much everything else at the restaurant is not so good, but the chowder is excellent. I do know that it is where JFK used to eat lunch and they have some sort of booth identified as his favorite.

B&G Oysters in the South End had a decent bowl of clam chowder but the price was a bit steep. Their lobster bisque was decent as well.

I think the key, as Jason alludes to, is that the steam table is very much not the friend of chowder. Find a place that does a fairly brisk business in chowder. I'd bet the best bowls may be found in the small restaurants outside of Boston to the north. Just a thought.

Years ago my then-girlfriend (now wife) and I went hunting for the best choeder in Boston and, hate to admit it, the best we found was in one of those tourist joints in Faneuil Hall. We didn't know the city well, though, and only had a weekend, and the North End was too Italian for a Yankee dish like chowdah.

As far as the Union goes, it doesn't get much love in the Boston threads for its food, but would likely provide a few good minutes of TV for its centuries-old horseshoe-shaped bar.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I'm wondering about recommendations for a pizza lunch for a small group in the North End? I'm headed to Boston this weekend for my sister's engagement party. She is taking a group of eight people out for lunch, and for a tour of the North End, Faneuil Hall, and other stuff we can come up with that's a manageable walk. We figured pizza would keep the cost reasonable. I suggested Pizzeria Regina based on threads I read here, but she wants other options. Any other suggestions? Or is Regina our best bet?

TIA!

Everything I've heard about Boston and Pizza is that Regina is THE place to go if you want anything even close to the top pizzerias in NYC.

http://www.sliceny.com/archives/2006/05/pi...gina_boston.php

Santarpio's in East Boston and Ernesto's also in the North End are the other two notable pizzerias in the city.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Jason's hit apon the big 3 in Boston. I've also heard good things about Antinco Forno's pizza - if you need a 4th option.

Santarpio's isn't in the North End - it's in East Boston - if that's going to hamper your travel plans.

If going to Santarpio's or Pizzeria Regina - ask for your crust well done - otherwise it's a little floppy at the bottom. Santarpio's also has good sasuage and peppers to start.

Personally, I don't think pizza in Boston is all that great, but Pizzeria Regina is an institution.

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

I'm wondering about recommendations for a pizza lunch for a small group in the North End?  I'm headed to Boston this weekend for my sister's engagement party.  She is taking a group of eight people out for lunch, and for a tour of the North End, Faneuil Hall, and other stuff we can come up with that's a manageable walk.  We figured pizza would keep the cost reasonable.  I suggested Pizzeria Regina based on threads I read here, but she wants other options.  Any other suggestions?  Or is Regina our best bet?

TIA!

Pizzeria North End is great..and might be the best bet. Be sure to go to the original in the North End. I also love Santarpio's but it's a Blue Line ride away. I don't care for Ernesto's though others like it...not much seating for 8.

Another option is Antico Forno. They do good wood grilled pizzas..as well as a varied menu. Fairly reasonable and everything is good; particularly things cooked in the wood oven.

Reasonably priced red sauce, I like Artu. They also make a sliced lamb or pork / eggplant sandwich that's great. Not sure if they're doing pizza.

While I don't live in Boston any more, I would heartily recommend the Pizza at Regina's. That is my absolute fave "pie" (as they call it here in the Philly area) and I have yet to taste anything that rivals it, including any NYC pizza.

Yum!

<a href='http://retroroadmap.com' target='_blank'>Retro Roadmap - All the Retro, Vintage and Cool Old places worth visiting!</a>

I spent the past few days in Boston and Neptune was my favorite meal of the trip (including No. 9 Park and East Coast Grill.) We split the crab cakes and a dozen oysters to start - both were excellant. The oysters were so plump and juicy. I found the cocktail sauce had a sweetness that I didn't like, but it didn't matter because I never use it. I had the hot lobster roll - it was good - a little rich, but that was expected and my date had the stripped bass - also good. It has a relaxed vibe about the place and service was great.

We had a few too many frozen treats during our stay because of the heat. We ranked Gelateria third behind Christina's in Cambridge and Emack and Bolios. It was good, but Christina's blew us away - the chocolate banana and burnt sugar ice creams were awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just in boston for a convention last week and decided to try Neptunes based on this thread. Just wanted to say thanks, enjoyed the food immensely. (Got the hot lobster roll and clam chowder) I also loved the North End in general and ate at Regina's as well as tried some canolli's at modern pastry. I'm from DC and i got to say Boston is a great city. Really enjoyed myself on the 2 free days i had there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm... I can't believe I lived in Cambridge and Boston for 7 years and never ate at Regina's. Will definitely add it to my list, along with Neptune, for my October trip (haven't been back since I left in 1999!). I'll also be making the obligatory stop at Pinocchio's for a steak and cheese sub.

• 1 year later...

Sorry for the bump, but does anyone give credence to user ratings on Zagat?

My first trip to Boston is in 2 months, and I've been hearing that Neptune is the place for oysters, but then saw this post yesterday on Zagat, mentioning a chef changeover (!):

""Crash and burn" was all we could think of at last night's dinner. Has been one of our "go to" neighborhood stops for years. Now a new chef has fully taken over the menu ......"

Zagat page and review here

Any news?

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

My first trip to Boston is in 2 months, and I've been hearing that Neptune is the place for oysters, but then saw this post yesterday on Zagat, mentioning a chef changeover (!):

I can't speak on Neptune but for the best oysters I've ever had check out "Cafe Bella" in Randolph. The entire menu (which changes with the seasons) is always very strong but the oysters are just incredible.

I hope you enjoy your first trip to Boston!