• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

who is your favorite chocolatier?

sote23

Lorna

As I have yet to try Christopher Norman, Vosges, and Recchiutti and you have yet to try La Maison du Chocolat a comparator may be difficult.

However I do have Recchiutti book and I agree his chocolates (according to the recipes) are much sweeter than Marcolini.

As a rule I find there is a corrolation between country and sweetness for artisan chocolates. American chocolates are the sweetest and most intensely flavoured, French chocolates (eg LMduC) have very little or no added sugars and subtle flavours, with Belgian chocolates (eg Marcolini) somewhere in between.

I have tried Marrie Belle's chocolates (actually, Torres I believe). These are beautifully decorated and formulated for a longer shelf-life. Perhaps it is unfair to compartable these to fresh artisan chocolates, however in these I again noted a much sweeter formulation than to the European taste.

I'm about an hour from san francisco, so i get recchiuitti whenever i'm in the city. most of his stuff is pretty good, but i agree it's too sweet. he uses invert sugar which i'm avoiding at the moment. your absolutly right though, the american palette in general prefers a sweeter chocolate. yes, marie belle's are made by jaque torres from what i hear, and pretty pricy from what i hear, about $100 a pound.

i've not tried christopher norman or vosage, or jaque torres for that matter. why don't we all try the ones we each are missing and compare notes.

i'd love you try yours as well escry, which i know would be difficult, since your in england.

I will have to try them at some point. what do you mean by fluffing?

They slighty reheat many of their ganaches and whisk to add (very little) extra volume, resulting in a lighter texture.

i see, so to add a little texture. i didn't notice it, but then again i wasn't paying attention to it either.

I agree that la maison is the benchmark, at least for me. a lot of others mentioned, Michel Chaudun, and I would be interested in trying his, but being that i'm in CA and he's in paris, it will have to wait. Richart does have pretty chocolates, but for me the taste is lacking.

As a rule I find there is a corrolation between country and sweetness for artisan chocolates. American chocolates are the sweetest and most intensely flavoured, French chocolates (eg LMduC) have very little or no added sugars and subtle flavours, with Belgian chocolates (eg Marcolini) somewhere in between.

Hi escry,

Yes, I'm familiar with the general rule about the chocolates produced in each country, but in my opinion, PM does not produce the typical Belgian chocolate, but more French-style chocolates. I believe that's also what's written in his pamphlet and it agrees with what I've read online by other tasters.

Like I said, I haven't tried LMduC and I think I will go and order a box now! :smile:

ETA: It costs 48 Euro to ship a box of chocolate to Canada...that's $68 Cdn just for shipping! :sad:

Edited by Ling (log)

Hi Lorna

In my earlier brevity I was being a little unfair to Pierre Marcolini. Yes his style, like his history, spans Europe, lying in my opinion between Belgium and France. Sweeter than the French, less sweet than the Belgians. Smaller in size like the French, but with moist almost liquid centres like the Belgians.

I highly respect his uniqueness. It's just the more I sample different chocolatiers (and work with chocolate myself) the more I find sugars interfere with the cocoa tastes.

Hi escry,

Yes, I'm familiar with the general rule about the chocolates produced in each country, but in my opinion, PM does not produce the typical Belgian chocolate, but more French-style chocolates. I believe that's also what's written in his pamphlet and it agrees with what I've read online by other tasters.

Like I said, I haven't tried LMduC and I think I will go and order a box now! :smile:

ETA: It costs 48 Euro to ship a box of chocolate to Canada...that's $68 Cdn just for shipping! :sad:

Lorna,

Try their New York store, I would think shipping would be much less

Tarek

Sorry as well as I ran with the misconception too. Fair enough comment on the caramels but I actually find caramels/pate de fruits etc. sometimes more of a challenge to make than chocolate....

Ling, I understood what you meant (caramel isn't a chocolate and just because it's coated in chocolate doesn't mean it will satisfy the chocolate cravings of a world reknown appetite such as yours (insert tech deficient smiley face here)).  It wasn't you I was quoting.  Sote made the comment about Fran not being a serious chocolatier.

OK oops, sorry...got a bit mixed up there! :smile:

I didn't like them when I followed the recipe. When I didn't cook them quite so long...I really liked them better. I also infuse the cream with Rosemary/lavender etc for other flavors.

oooh, and to clarify, I dislike any of the burnt sugar recipes I've made from Recchuiti's book.  I quite like many of the others.

I agree that la maison is the benchmark, at least for me. a lot of others mentioned, Michel Chaudun, and I would be interested in trying his, but being that i'm in CA and he's in paris, it will have to wait. Richart does have pretty chocolates, but for me the taste is lacking.

I think when it comes to tasting chocolate a lot of subjectivity comes in play, heck I change

my mind about my preferences every so often, the one chocolatier who I could not digest

was Richart, tried twice and both times were miserable

Tarek

Hi escry,

wow that is crazy, yes try the NY store, they have 2. My sister sent me some from there, I don't know what she paid for shipping, but I know it wasn't that high.

luis

Hi escry,

wow that is crazy, yes try the NY store, they have 2. My sister sent me some from one of the stores, I don't know what she paid for shipping, but I know it wasn't that high.

luis

^I love Thomas Haas as well. And his chocolates are relatively inexpensive, since I live in Vancouver.  :smile:

Ling,

Since you live in Van, I assume you have tried Chocolate Arts. How do you like them?

Kerry

I'm not Ling but hope you don't mind if I add my two cents.........

I haven't had any from Haas in almost 2 years but he was hit and miss for me. He had some chocolates where his infusions were too weak...........as in I couldn't begin to tell what I had in my mouth flavor wise. But his chocolate that had fruit pate in them were wildly great. They were quite unique.

I'd bet that he's gotten better over time........

I haven't had any from Haas in almost 2 years but he was hit and miss for me. He had some chocolates where his infusions were too weak...........as in I couldn't begin to tell what I had in my mouth flavor wise. But his chocolate that had fruit pate in them were wildly great. They were quite unique.

I too have found the Haas to be hit and miss. I put it down to buying them from sen5es (I thinks that's how they spell it) and assumed maybe they weren't as fresh as possible.

After tasting the Haas chocolates I got into pate de fruit in a big way, but I find I like them better without the ganache underneath.

I really enjoyed the Chocolate Art chocolates, particularly the pyramids with the fruit puree in the tip and a corresponding fruit flavoured buttercream.

I tend to like my own chocolates best, because I pick and choose from things I taste and tweak the recipe until it is the best it can be. I don't feel constrained to one particular style, I make excellent caramels, ganaches, buttercreams, pates de fruit and dip just about anything. Not having to produce chocolate to anyone elses schedule frees me up to try anything. (But harking back to the thread on promoting yourself as a pastry chef admitting that was really difficult because I was raised that you don't toot your own horn. If someone says your dinner was fabulous, you respond with "it needed a bit more salt")

Not having to produce chocolate to anyone elses schedule...

or taste buds... :wink:

as in, it is all very subjective as mentioned above. not that i doubt that your chocolates are delicious.

Exactly!!

duckduck > it's made all in flash. You might need to update the player to view his site.

I'd order, but I'm in canada and I can't. T_T I'm sooo denied.

Another vote for Christopher Elbow! His chocolates were the only thing I asked for my birthday and I got them! :smile:

jenc-

Do you know... is there a problem with bringing the chocolates into Canada or is it just that he doesn't ship to Canada? For instance, if I were to bring some on my trip to BC in August, would I get taken away by the airport police?!

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

duckduck > it's made all in flash. You might need to update the player to view his site.

I'd order, but I'm in canada and I can't. T_T I'm sooo denied.

Another vote for Christopher Elbow! His chocolates were the only thing I asked for my birthday and I got them! :smile:

jenc-

Do you know... is there a problem with bringing the chocolates into Canada or is it just that he doesn't ship to Canada? For instance, if I were to bring some on my trip to BC in August, would I get taken away by the airport police?!

If the airport security try to consfiscate Chris Elbow chocolates from you at customs, chances are that they've heard how good they are too... :raz: I think you'll be fine to bring them across.

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

Do you know... is there a problem with bringing the chocolates into Canada or is it just that he doesn't ship to Canada?  For instance, if I were to bring some on my trip to BC in August, would I get taken away by the airport police?!

HEHEHEH.. no, just that they don't ship to Canada as far as I could tell. T_T

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

I too have found the Haas to be hit and miss. I put it down to buying them from sen5es (I thinks that's how they spell it) and assumed maybe they weren't as fresh as possible.

After tasting the Haas chocolates I got into pate de fruit in a big way, but I find I like them better without the ganache underneath.

I really enjoyed the Chocolate Art chocolates, particularly the pyramids with the fruit puree in the tip and a corresponding fruit flavoured buttercream.

I try to buy them directly from Haas' chocolate factory in North Vancouver so I haven't had a chocolate that wasn't fresh. I also like Chocolate Arts for their flavour combinations...they're good chocolates. My favourite from Chocolate Arts is the Poire Helene. I think Haas edges out Chocolate Arts b/c I find the shells at Haas more delicate.

I think the chocolates are more reliable than Haas' cookies or pastries...those are more hit and miss for me.

Do you know... is there a problem with bringing the chocolates into Canada or is it just that he doesn't ship to Canada?  For instance, if I were to bring some on my trip to BC in August, would I get taken away by the airport police?!

I'm sure you can bring them into Canada...people bring boxes of chocolates as gifts across the border all the time. :smile:

I might order from the NY La Maison and have them shipped to my bf's place in Seattle. Any recommendations on what I should get?