• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

who is your favorite chocolatier?

sote23

I've got his book and read a fair amount of press on Michael Recchuiti. I recently came across a source in my town where I could purchase his work. In all honesty I was very disappointed. Granted it's based on my taste buds, what I like in chocolates which can be different then your tastes.

I particularly didn't like his burnt caramel.........which I've heard and read so much about. It tasted good at first, but it left a bad after taste on my palate from the burnt/bitter taste bud. I also couldn't tell you what the flavors of his chocolate were by taste, they weren't clearly recognizable to me.

In contrast I picked up a couple confections at the same time that I was hugely happy with. I really enjoyed Frans salted caramels!! They weren't anything unusual but they were damn good/enjoyable.

AND Vosages caramels I thought were brilliant!!! What they intended to do with their chocolates misses for me (I don't like their chocolates). But when they apply the same exotic seasonings to their caramels I think they hit a huge home run!! Everyone was a delight!! I also really liked their toffee! I think their chocolate line sorely pales in comparision to their caramels.

Theres still many/most high end chocolatiers I haven't tasted so who knows maybe I'm way off mark. But to date of the ones I've tasted Norman Loves chocolates as my favorite.

hi wendy,

your right about the burnt caramel. it's his signiture chocolate and it does nothing for me. most of his stuff is pretty good, but not outstanding, he is nowhere as good as la maison. i haven't tried norman love as of yet.

I've got his book and read a fair amount of press on Michael Recchuiti. I recently came across a source in my town where I could purchase his work. In all honesty I was very disappointed. Granted it's based on my taste buds, what I like in chocolates which can be different then your tastes.

I was a little bit let down with Recchiutti as well. However, I do think his fleur de sel chocolate is much better than Fran's. Did you try the fleur de sel at Recchiutti, Wendy?

I was disappointed with Fran's salted caramels after hearing so much about them. To me, they are merely good candies than serious chocolates.

your absolutly right. that's exactly what i thought when i had frans, good candies, but not a serious chocolatier.

It would be nice if they offered a non-flash option like most people do. I don't need a big production number, I just want to dump some chocolate in my basket and hit paypal and go. :biggrin:

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

"good candies but not a serious chocolatier"??

what exactly does that mean? what is a serious chocolatier?

many chocolate lovers adore Fran's caramels. I personally haven't eaten them because I like to eat my chocolates fresh to be fair in my evaluation. must one make saffron ganache in a 70% chocolate to be serious? just curious about where we're headed here.

BTW, I really dislike that burnt caramel. I dislike it in the shop and I dislike each recipe I've made from the book. Many folks who consider themselves foodie will tell you it's their favorite. Very subjective.....

I definatly live in a "good food challenged" place ( please if anyone of you live in the same area dont feel offended ).The one of the big chocolate company around here just closed a while ago and I dont think they will open again.Not much around ,I have tryed few of the places around here and definatly not my type of chocolates, ganache too heavy and cover to thick , and probably not the best chocolate.

I wish I could get around and visint some of the name you guys mentioned,I want to order some of Christopher Elbows chocolates , but I think I am goin to wait for the fall.

I have to say that one place around here that deserve to be mentioned is Patrick and Stephany Sikes,I had the pleasure to be with them on morning to see their production, great people.Probably the only real fine chocolates around here.

http://www.psiloveyouchocolates.com/default.aspx

Vanessa

I agree with Trishiad. There is a tendency to too narrowly define people based on old and rigid definitions. I love Recchuiti's book although I haven't tasted his actual product. As many may know I am a stanch supporter of Chris Elbow and his work but that doesn't make him a more serious chocolatier than anyone else. I'm very put off when someone tells me what is the "right" way to make something. I went to a local chocolate shop and asked if she ever made or had tried Rosemary caramels (I love them) and she turned her nose up and said "I never do savory with sweet!".....like I was wrong to even suggest it. When her business shuts down in the near future it might be because her attitude is so rigid (and off base in my opinion). I can make chocolates that should be considered as serious as anyone else...as can most on this thread...the recipes and production techniques are really not that different.

As good as Chris Elbow is....he wasn't even trained as a pastry chef or chocolatier. He has a restaurant managment degree and it was his passion to learn on his own that has taken him to where he is now. A hamburger made with the same ingredients by Emeril is no more "serious" than the one I make. Let's not confuse the same thing with chocolates....if the ingredients are the same and the processes are the same...sometimes the difference we taste is in our minds...not our mouths. I think most people making artisan quality chocolates are pretty serious.

what exactly does that mean?  what is a serious chocolatier?

many chocolate lovers adore Fran's caramels.  I personally haven't eaten them because I like to eat my chocolates fresh to be fair in my evaluation.  must one make saffron ganache in a 70% chocolate to be serious?  just curious about where we're headed here.

BTW, I really dislike that burnt caramel.  I dislike it in the shop and I dislike each recipe I've made from the book.  Many folks who consider themselves foodie will tell you it's their favorite.  Very subjective.....

many chocolate lovers adore Fran's caramels.  I personally haven't eaten them because I like to eat my chocolates fresh to be fair in my evaluation.  must one make saffron ganache in a 70% chocolate to be serious?  just curious about where we're headed here.

BTW, I really dislike that burnt caramel.  I dislike it in the shop and I dislike each recipe I've made from the book.  Many folks who consider themselves foodie will tell you it's their favorite.  Very subjective.....

No, you misquoted me. I said the salted caramels are not a serious chocolate. They are a good candy...not something that's good enough to send chills down my spine.

Ling, I understood what you meant (caramel isn't a chocolate and just because it's coated in chocolate doesn't mean it will satisfy the chocolate cravings of a world reknown appetite such as yours (insert tech deficient smiley face here)). It wasn't you I was quoting. Sote made the comment about Fran not being a serious chocolatier.

I don't mean to ruffle feathers here I just don't like to see folks being narrow minded when it comes to an industry as wide and varied as this. Each product is on the market because someone thought it valuable.

Ling, I understood what you meant (caramel isn't a chocolate and just because it's coated in chocolate doesn't mean it will satisfy the chocolate cravings of a world reknown appetite such as yours (insert tech deficient smiley face here)).  It wasn't you I was quoting.  Sote made the comment about Fran not being a serious chocolatier.

OK oops, sorry...got a bit mixed up there! :smile:

Robert Linx of La Maison du Chocolat, Michel Chaudun and Patrick Roger. I find their chocolate have the right balance of sugar to chocolate. Because of the current trend toward more and more bittersweet,  chocolates made by many of the newer chocolatiers, such as Michel Cluziel, Pierre Marcolini and JP Hevin, taste a bit sour and dry in my mouth.

I have to agree with you there in terms of robert linx. It's all about balance with him. most other chocolatiers don't have the right balance, and are using too strong of flavors which overpower the chocolate. I'm not familier with michel chaudun or patrick roger. can you tell me more?

Luis

Robert Linx of La Maison du Chocolat, Michel Chaudun and Patrick Roger. I find their chocolate have the right balance of sugar to chocolate. Because of the current trend toward more and more bittersweet,  chocolates made by many of the newer chocolatiers, such as Michel Cluziel, Pierre Marcolini and JP Hevin, taste a bit sour and dry in my mouth.

I have to agree with you there in terms of robert linx. It's all about balance with him. most other chocolatiers don't have the right balance, and are using too strong of flavors which overpower the chocolate. I'm not familier with michel chaudun or patrick roger. can you tell me more?

Luis

Michel Chaudun has been making chocolates probably as long as Robert Linx. His chocolates are similiar to La Maison du Chocolat, a touch sweeter than most of the newer chocolatiers. His shop in the in Paris 7e has a friendly old-fashioned feel, unlike many of the newer designer shops. I really like his Palette d'Or, his pralines and his bittersweet truffles.

Patrick Roger's studio/shop is in Sceaux, a suburb of Paris. He recently opened a shop on Blvd St. Germain, between Carrefour de l'Odeon and Blvd St. Michel. His chocolates are a little more bitter than those of Robert Linx and Michel Chaudun, but are balanced by his wonderful fillings. I love his dome shaped caramel with various fruit juice, chocolate covered almonds, almond and pistachio pralines. thyme and citron ganache. I generally do not like herb flavored ganache but his is very subtle and perfumy rather than artificial and medicinal.

Sorry, I phrased it wrong. I wasn't implying she is not serious or professional. she's good at what shes does. I know people adore her carmels, and I like them too.

yes, i agree, everyone has different tastes, and what tastes good to one person may be horrid to another.

and no, one must not make saffron chocolate to be serious. i've never even tried a saffron chocolate. doesn't sound very tasty to me, although it maybe.

of course there is room for many different kinds of chocolatiers in the market, I never implied there wasn't.

don't worry, no feathers were ruffled. lol

Edited by sote23 (log)

I agree with Trishiad.  There is a tendency to too narrowly define people based on old and rigid definitions.  I love Recchuiti's book although I haven't tasted his actual product.  As many may know I am a stanch supporter of Chris Elbow and his work but that doesn't make him a more serious chocolatier than anyone else.  I'm very put off when someone tells me what is the "right" way to make something.  I went to a local chocolate shop and asked if she ever made or had tried Rosemary caramels (I love them) and she turned her nose up and said "I never do savory with sweet!".....like I was wrong to even suggest it.  When her business shuts down in the near future it might be because her attitude is so rigid (and off base in my opinion).  I can make chocolates that should be considered as serious as anyone else...as can most on this thread...the recipes and production techniques are really not that different.

As good as Chris Elbow is....he wasn't even trained as a pastry chef or chocolatier.  He has a restaurant managment degree and it was his passion to learn on his own that has taken him to where he is now.  A hamburger made with the same ingredients by Emeril is no more "serious" than the one I make.  Let's not confuse the same thing with chocolates....if the ingredients are the same and the processes are the same...sometimes the difference we taste is in our minds...not our mouths.  I think most people making artisan quality chocolates are pretty serious.

your correct, i actually think our imaginations should be used more often, and yes, there are many many ways of doing things. I remember reading a study, where there were over 100 different ways to wash dishes. i'm a believer in breaking new ground, trying different things, not going with the status quo. Look at the restaurant El Bulli, they threw the cookbooks out the window and came up with all sort of wonderful ideas.

I myself don't have any training either, and never said artisan chocolatiers aren't serious.

Luis

Michel Chaudun has been making chocolates probably as long as Robert Linx. His chocolates are similiar to La Maison du Chocolat, a touch sweeter than most of the newer chocolatiers. His shop in the in Paris 7e has a friendly old-fashioned feel, unlike many of the newer designer shops. I really like his Palette d'Or, his pralines and his bittersweet truffles.

Patrick Roger's studio/shop is in Sceaux, a suburb of Paris. He recently opened a shop on Blvd St. Germain, between Carrefour de l'Odeon and Blvd St. Michel. His chocolates are a little more bitter than those of Robert Linx and Michel Chaudun, but are balanced by his wonderful fillings. I love his dome shaped caramel with various fruit juice, chocolate covered almonds, almond and pistachio pralines. thyme and citron ganache. I generally do not like herb flavored ganache but his is very subtle and perfumy rather than artificial and medicinal.

next time in paris, i will look them up.

I like Willy Wonka.

His chocolates are of the mind, exploratory, and created with the intention to transport to joy.

He's timeless, he's an equal opportunity employer, and he wants to make good people happy and bad people regret it.

What's not to like?

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

La Maison du Chocolat are a bench mark against which to compare all others.

In England, Gerald Coleman of L'Artisan du Chocolat can beat Robert Linx at his own game. However, to be back-handed with my compliment, I'd add, "only on a good day!" Too often L'Artisan's chocolates seem stale.

From across the water (the little strip that separates England from the rest of Europe, not the bigger pond between us and the US), but also available across the pond, I find Pierre Marcolini intriguing, top draw, but too sweet for my taste. Richart's chocolates are beautifully presented, are again top draw, but fall short of LMduC.

Really? Pierre Marcolini is too sweet? I haven't had La Maison, but judging by the comments here, I would assume that their chocolates are sweeter than PM. I think PM's chocolates are probably some of the least sweet I've had, especially compared to stuff from Christopher Norman, Vosges, Recchiutti, etc.

Lorna

As I have yet to try Christopher Norman, Vosges, and Recchiutti and you have yet to try La Maison du Chocolat a comparator may be difficult.

However I do have Recchiutti book and I agree his chocolates (according to the recipes) are much sweeter than Marcolini.

As a rule I find there is a corrolation between country and sweetness for artisan chocolates. American chocolates are the sweetest and most intensely flavoured, French chocolates (eg LMduC) have very little or no added sugars and subtle flavours, with Belgian chocolates (eg Marcolini) somewhere in between.

I have tried Marrie Belle's chocolates (actually, Torres I believe). These are beautifully decorated and formulated for a longer shelf-life. Perhaps it is unfair to compartable these to fresh artisan chocolates, however in these I again noted a much sweeter formulation than to the European taste.

La Maison du Chocolat are a bench mark against which to compare all others.

In England, Gerald Coleman of L'Artisan du Chocolat can beat Robert Linx at his own game. However, to be back-handed with my compliment, I'd add, "only on a good day!" Too often L'Artisan's chocolates seem stale.

From across the water (the little strip that separates England from the rest of Europe, not the bigger pond between us and the US), but also available across the pond, I find Pierre Marcolini intriguing, top draw, but too sweet for my taste. Richart's chocolates are beautifully presented, are again top draw, but fall short of LMduC.

I agree that la maison is the benchmark, at least for me. a lot of others mentioned, Michel Chaudun, and I would be interested in trying his, but being that i'm in CA and he's in paris, it will have to wait. Richart does have pretty chocolates, but for me the taste is lacking.

Really? Pierre Marcolini is too sweet? I haven't had La Maison, but judging by the comments here, I would assume that their chocolates are sweeter than PM. I think PM's chocolates are probably some of the least sweet I've had, especially compared to stuff from Christopher Norman, Vosges, Recchiutti, etc.

i haven't tried pierre marcolini, but la maison is definatly not too sweet. I think they have the perfect balance of sweetness, chocolate and flavors. the best balance by far, not to say other choolates aren't good, but the balance la maison creates is tops in my book.