• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

who is your favorite chocolatier?

sote23

Steve Howard of Kokoa Chocolatier on S. Peoria in Tulsa. His truffles are still hand formed and hand dipped with a depth of flavor that the big commercial guys lost a long time ago. His white truffle, meaning white truffle, not white chocolate, is so intense.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I have to agree. I live in Florida and get the opportunity to visit Norman Love's shop quite often and they are very nice but every time I come to visit KC (my hometown) I stop by Chris' shop. I'm in town this weekend and stopped by to get a taste of his newer flavors and they were great. He loves what he does and it shows.

Christopher Elbow in Kansas City.  We are so fortunate to have such a world class chocotatier here in KC.  Beautiful creations only matched by their taste.

Robert Linx of La Maison du Chocolat, Michel Chaudun and Patrick Roger. I find their chocolate have the right balance of sugar to chocolate. Because of the current trend toward more and more bittersweet, chocolates made by many of the newer chocolatiers, such as Michel Cluziel, Pierre Marcolini and JP Hevin, taste a bit sour and dry in my mouth.

Hmmm, favorite, hard to say. Am I allowed to say myself? Kidding.

I love Drew Shotts. I love that it's not beneath him to make popcorn for folks who love popcorn and I love his layered pieces with pate de fruits. He has a spicy peanut piece which left me thinking and playing in the kitchen for weeks.

I love Cristopher Elbow. Perfect bonbon shells. Unusually good caramels. Clean flavors. I happened to have a box of his chocolates on the same day I took a class from Norman Love and was able to compare them directly. Elbows are finer in both flavor and technique.

Norman is still on my list of loves for what he has done for this industry.

I love Woodhouse chocolates and covet their packaging.

I love Michael Recchuiti because he is brave and makes what he wants to make. He brazenly allows imperfections in such a perfectionist industry. He is a mover and a shaker and to be taken seriously.

I'm sure I'm forgetting someone and perhaps I appear to be quite a chocolate slut but I assure you that my list of Chocolatiers I hate is much longer and the list of Chocolatiers I'm indifferent to is even longer still.

I seem to capitalize Chocolatier (Mr. Freud?)

Robert Linx of La Maison du Chocolat, Michel Chaudun and Patrick Roger. I find their chocolate have the right balance of sugar to chocolate. Because of the current trend toward more and more bittersweet,  chocolates made by many of the newer chocolatiers, such as Michel Cluziel, Pierre Marcolini and JP Hevin, taste a bit sour and dry in my mouth.

I have to agree with you there in terms of robert linx. It's all about balance with him. most other chocolatiers don't have the right balance, and are using too strong of flavors which overpower the chocolate. I'm not familier with michel chaudun or patrick roger. can you tell me more?

Luis

Edited by sote23 (log)

love le maison , jacque torres and marie belle? no wait a minute.. they sell at lunettes et choclat in ny and make wonderful mexican hot chocolate.  very artful and fashiony presentation and fascinating flavors.

if you ever get the chance, try Joel durand. the only place that sells in in the US is Paradou in new york. I've yet to try jacque torres, but will have to put him on my list.

http://www.paradounyc.com/chocolates.htm

Edited by sote23 (log)

Hmmm, favorite, hard to say.  Am I allowed to say myself?  Kidding.

I love Drew Shotts.  I love that it's not beneath him to make popcorn for folks who love popcorn and I love his layered pieces with pate de fruits.  He has a spicy peanut piece which left me thinking and playing in the kitchen for weeks.

I love Cristopher Elbow.  Perfect bonbon shells.  Unusually good caramels.  Clean flavors.  I happened to have a box of his chocolates on the same day I took a class from Norman Love and was able to compare them directly.  Elbows are finer in both flavor and technique.

Norman is still on my list of loves for what he has done for this industry. 

I love Woodhouse chocolates and covet their packaging.

I love Michael Recchuiti because he is brave and makes what he wants to make.  He brazenly allows imperfections in such a perfectionist industry.  He is a mover and a shaker and to be taken seriously.

I'm sure I'm forgetting someone and perhaps I appear to be quite a chocolate slut but I assure you that my list of Chocolatiers I hate is much longer and the list of Chocolatiers I'm indifferent to is even longer still.

I seem to capitalize Chocolatier (Mr. Freud?)

Michael Recchuiti makes some good chocolates.

it would be interesting to see your list of chocolatiers you hate or are indifferent to. and sure you can say yourself lol lol

where is woodhouse chocolates located? are they in CA?

Luis

I'd go with Pierre Marcolini.

i've heard good things about pierre. anywhere to get his chocolate in the US?

There's a little shop on Madison Ave., somewhere in the 50s.

Speaking of little shops, I'd also add Kee's to the list. But Le Maison is probably still at the top of mine.

Susan

Edited by SusanGiff (log)

I've got his book and read a fair amount of press on Michael Recchuiti. I recently came across a source in my town where I could purchase his work. In all honesty I was very disappointed. Granted it's based on my taste buds, what I like in chocolates which can be different then your tastes.

I particularly didn't like his burnt caramel.........which I've heard and read so much about. It tasted good at first, but it left a bad after taste on my palate from the burnt/bitter taste bud. I also couldn't tell you what the flavors of his chocolate were by taste, they weren't clearly recognizable to me.

In contrast I picked up a couple confections at the same time that I was hugely happy with. I really enjoyed Frans salted caramels!! They weren't anything unusual but they were damn good/enjoyable.

AND Vosages caramels I thought were brilliant!!! What they intended to do with their chocolates misses for me (I don't like their chocolates). But when they apply the same exotic seasonings to their caramels I think they hit a huge home run!! Everyone was a delight!! I also really liked their toffee! I think their chocolate line sorely pales in comparision to their caramels.

Theres still many/most high end chocolatiers I haven't tasted so who knows maybe I'm way off mark. But to date of the ones I've tasted Norman Loves chocolates as my favorite.

I'm still a fan of Norman's and Drew's but I'm now convinced that I need to check out Christopher Elbow.

I was actually disappointed with the Vosages caramels. I didn't think it was a particularly good caramel to begin with and it didn't seem to be properly paired with the chocolate. The two didn't work together for me. And then to toss in odd flavors on top of that, it seemed like it was just for the sake of having odd ingredients and not because they fit well. I didn't even finish the box and I love caramel. Weird that we had two totally different experiences with them, Wendy. Although to be fair to them I believe the box I got a hold of may have been a little old.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

I'm still a fan of Norman's and Drew's but I'm now convinced that I need to check out Christopher Elbow.

I was actually disappointed with the Vosages caramels. I didn't think it was a particularly good caramel to begin with and it didn't seem to be properly paired with the chocolate. The two didn't work together for me. And then to toss in odd flavors on top of that, it seemed like it was just for the sake of having odd ingredients and not because they fit well. I didn't even finish the box and I love caramel. Weird that we had two totally different experiences with them, Wendy. Although to be fair to them I believe the box I got a hold of may have been a little old.

as far as caramels in the U.S I think the little flower candy does an excellent job

http://www.littleflowercandyco.com/index.html

Tarek

Now I remember why I haven't ordered from Christopher Elbow yet. I go to the website and it does nothing, just sits there blank. :blink:

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

I've got his book and read a fair amount of press on Michael Recchuiti. I recently came across a source in my town where I could purchase his work. In all honesty I was very disappointed. Granted it's based on my taste buds, what I like in chocolates which can be different then your tastes.

I was a little bit let down with Recchiutti as well. However, I do think his fleur de sel chocolate is much better than Fran's. Did you try the fleur de sel at Recchiutti, Wendy?

I was disappointed with Fran's salted caramels after hearing so much about them. To me, they are merely good candies rather than serious chocolates.

Edited by Ling (log)

I was a little bit let down with Recchiutti as well. However, I do think his fleur de sel chocolate is much better than Fran's. Did you try the fleur de sel at Recchiutti, Wendy?

I was disappointed with Fran's salted caramels after hearing so much about them. To me, they are merely good candies than serious chocolates.

Ling, I agree with you about the Fran's. It does nothing to really impress me, the very first time it did, but since then, I look for better flavors like Christopher Elbows. That is one place I make sure I stop at every time I am in Kansas City.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

duckduck > it's made all in flash. You might need to update the player to view his site.

I'd order, but I'm in canada and I can't. T_T I'm sooo denied.

Now you have a true reason to go visit Kansas City. If you go on the first friday on the month, the arts district is alive with art openings. And his shop just happens to be in the middle of it all.