• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bright lights, big city: a reprise

therese

Our second trip to NYC this year, with dining details summarized on this eG thread. Mostly upmarket, mostly Manhattan.

This visit we're bringing our kids along, and I'm looking forward to some meals in the outer boroughs: Russian, Italian, Indo-Pak, whatever. Ideally we'll be in the area doing something family-ish: Coney Island, Botanical Garden, New York Hall of Science, ferry to Staten Island, etc.

Nothing yet set in stone, but I'll likely have more specific queries as the trip (in August, and yes, I'm insane) grows near.

Suggestions welcome.

Can you pee in the ocean?

An initial thought:

If you're going to Coney Island by subway, either go or return on the Q line, and get off at the Avenue J stop for DiFara's, the best by-the-slice pizza in the known universe.

Downside (especially if you're with kids): you have to wait. Not just on line, but because Dom DeMarco, the guy who makes the pizza, takes his own good time to do so.

Upside: best by-the-slice pizza in the known universe. And it's right across the street from the subway stop.

Totonno's is the famous pizza place in Coney Island (it's by-the-pie, not by-the-slice). But I find it wildly inconsistent. Also, it's one of those places that has no regular hours, but simply closes when they run out of food. So you can never be sure you'll be able to actually eat there.

I'll also note that Snack Dragon, a well-liked East Village taco place, reportedly just opened a branch in Coney Island. While that's good for Coney Island, which lacks good food, as someone who lives in Brooklyn I'd personally prefer to go to the more "authentic" local taco places in Sunset Park, an actual Mexican neighborhood.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

How old are the kids?  How adventurous are their palates (or how tractable are they)?

Ah, yes, crucial info: one girl nearly 13, one boy nearly 16, and both with almost ridiculously adventurous palates. Seriously, they'll eat just about anything short of fermented sheep brains (well, I don't actually know that they'd spurn fermented sheep brains, I'm just guessing) and they're so well-behaved (in public, anyway) that I wouldn't hesitate to take them to Per Se.

Of course, I'm not going to take them to Per Se, in part because I'm not made of money.

An initial thought:

If you're going to Coney Island by subway, either go or return on the Q line, and get off at the Avenue J stop for DiFara's, the best by-the-slice pizza in the known universe.

Downside (especially if you're with kids):  you have to wait.  Not just on line, but because Dom DeMarco, the guy who makes the pizza, takes his own good time to do so.

Upside:  best by-the-slice pizza in the known universe.  And it's right across the street from the subway stop.

Hmmm. I used to work in a pizza place, so unless we're in Italy we don't usually do pizza. But, boy, that's a pretty strong endorsement.

I was actually planning to take the Q line (we're staying at Morgans Hotel, so convenient for transit), but was thinking of stopping at Brighton Beach for Russian, either on the way to Coney Island (so an early lunch) or on the way back (so dinner). We can do DiFara's in the other direction.

So, that will be my first specific query: where to eat in Brighton Beach, and should we do lunch or dinner? Sounds like there are some big places that feature entertainment in the evening that would be interesting. In lots of ways.

I can't recommend dinner with entertainment in Brighton Beach highly enough.

I particularly remember a performer called Sexy Man. The show was, well, let's just say that Steve Martin and Dan Aykroyd were just too restrained.

The only downside is that, what with your children being there, you and Mr. therese might feel restrained in addressing the bottle of vodka they'll slam on your table when you sit down.

I have no idea which places there are good (or should I say "good") now, though. I'm sure someone else will.

(I have a feeling that knowledgable people are going to point out that the better food doesn't come in the places with floorshows. I know it goes contrary to the ethos of this board, but I personally would recommend that, if that's so, you go with a floorshow.)

[...]This visit we're bringing our kids along, and I'm looking forward to some meals in the outer boroughs: Russian, Italian, Indo-Pak, whatever. Ideally we'll be in the area doing something family-ish: Coney Island, Botanical Garden, New York Hall of Science, ferry to Staten Island, etc.[...]

These are really areas I don't know that well, but Cock's, a pleasant and very no-frills Bajan restaurant, is within walking distance of the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens.

Are you considering any trips to parts of Queens? There's a bunch of interesting stuff there, in Flushing, Jackson Heights, Woodside, Astoria, etc.

Michael aka "Pan"

I'll also note that Snack Dragon, a well-liked East Village taco place[...]

Never heard of it. Where is the East Village location?

It's around Avenue B and Third St.

(Apparently, their original location just closed, and they're in the process of moving -- or have moved -- across the street.)

I particularly remember a performer called Sexy Man.  The show was, well, let's just say that Steve Martin and Dan Aykroyd were just too restrained.

The only downside is that, what with your children being there, you and Mr. therese might feel restrained in addressing the bottle of vodka they'll slam on your table when you sit down.

I have no idea which places there are good (or should I say "good") now, though.  I'm sure someone else will.

(I have a feeling that knowledgable people are going to point out that the better food doesn't come in the places with floorshows.  I know it goes contrary to the ethos of this board, but I personally would recommend that, if that's so, you go with a floorshow.)

If Mr. therese and I are restrained it's going to have less to do with the vodka and more to do with the nature of the floor show. Checking around on the web suggests that National offers the appropriate combination of food and entertainment. Choice of "Russian" or "National" menus served family style, with some a la carte offerings as well.

Specific information about this venue or another (other options are Primorski, Tatiana, Atlantic Oceana, Pravda, Odessa) welcome.

(Unfortunately, I had this feeling that therese meant that other Botanic Garden, in the Bronx.  Even though, chauvinism aside, I like the one near my apartment in Brooklyn better.)

I was thinking about the the New York Botanical Garden, located in the Bronx, but it turns out that it features a Chihuly installation in August. The same (well, similar) installation was here at the Atlanta Botanical Garden recently, so that's not as much of a draw.

So the Brooklyn Botanic Garden seems like a very reasonable option, assuming, of course, that the food in the area is worth the trouble. Cock's sounds interesting, if a tad on the starchy side. What's the ethnic flavor in the surrounding neighborhoods?

Are you considering any trips to parts of Queens? There's a bunch of interesting stuff there, in Flushing, Jackson Heights, Woodside, Astoria, etc.

Yep. New York Hall of Science is in Flushing Meadows Park (so subway 7 line to 111th St). So locations along the 7 line ideal for lunch on our ways there.

What are ethnic strengths of the various areas? I did see a mention of an Italian place, Sapori d'Ischia, in Woodside in the "best of" Italian thread. Are any of these neighborhoods good for dim sum?

I particularly remember a performer called Sexy Man.  The show was, well, let's just say that Steve Martin and Dan Aykroyd were just too restrained.

I have no idea which places there are good (or should I say "good") now, though.  I'm sure someone else will.

(I have a feeling that knowledgable people are going to point out that the better food doesn't come in the places with floorshows.  I know it goes contrary to the ethos of this board, but I personally would recommend that, if that's so, you go with a floorshow.)

If Mr. therese and I are restrained it's going to have less to do with the vodka and more to do with the nature of the floor show. Checking around on the web suggests that National offers the appropriate combination of food and entertainment. Choice of "Russian" or "National" menus served family style, with some a la carte offerings as well.

Specific information about this venue or another (other options are Primorski, Tatiana, Atlantic Oceana, Pravda, Odessa) welcome.

The National is where I saw Sexy Man. The food was edible. OTOH, it was a truly memorable night. (The show wasn't obsene or even suggestive, at least not to any of us Westerners. It was just wild and crazy.)

I think I've heard that the food at Primorski is better, but never been to it or any of the others.

So the Brooklyn Botanic Garden seems like a very reasonable option, assuming, of course, that the food in the area is worth the trouble. Cock's sounds interesting, if a tad on the starchy side. What's the ethnic flavor in the surrounding neighborhoods?

Carribean/Chasidic up the street. Black/gentrifying whites right around there.

A famous place to eat near the Brooklyn Botanic Garden is Tom's, a diner (on Washington St.). It's excellent. Superb, even. But it's just a diner.

A Jamaican place called the Islands, even nearer to the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, got a favorable review in the Times's "$25 and Under" column last year:

http://events.nytimes.com/2005/06/01/dinin...cc8702d&ei=5070

(Registration might [or might not] be necessary)

Despite the fact that it's right in my neighborhood, I haven't been there yet.

If you go to the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, you'll also need to go next door to see the new fountain outside the front of the Brooklyn Museum. The new entrance to the Museum is controversial, but everyone agrees that the fountain is now one of the best outdoor features in the City.

I enthusiastically endorse Tom's near the Brooklyn Botanic Garden - it hasn't changed in decades, and it's genuine old New York. But it isn't open 7 days per week - is it Sunday that it's closed?

If you choose to go to the BBG, you're within walking distance of Park Slope (I walk from Park Slope to and from the gardens all the time - you can take a tour of some beautiful brownstone architecture, while you're at it). That puts you in the realm of Tempo and Al Di La, which have terrific Italian food. Or Blue Ribbon, Blue Ribbon Sushi, or Stone Park Cafe. Stop and have a drink or coffee at Tea Lounge on your way down.

I don't know anything about the Russian restaurants in Brighton Beach, but I used to go every year to Coney Island to ride the Cyclone and eat a hot dog at Nathan's. Those are a couple of old New York experiences, too, and cheap to boot.

Also, the Brooklyn Museum has a great Egyptian collection, if that's something that resonates with you.

I don't want to argue with you, H. (especially since I still go to Coney Island every year to ride the Cyclone), but I get uneasy telling out-of-town visitors things like that you "can walk" from the Brooklyn Botanic Garden to 5th Ave. in Park Slope. Sure, New Yorkers like us who don't have cars are used to doing walks like that all the time. (Hell, I usually walk to Coney Island for the Cyclone.) But whenever I take visitors on walks like that, they act like I'm torturing them. Also, from the Garden to 5th Ave. in Park Slope would be at least a half hour, probably more. They might not want to insert that kind of travel time into the middle of a touring day.

(Of course, on the other hand, if therese and her crew don't mind walking, forget I said any of this.)

You're right - my bad. The young or the fit don't seem to mind, but I have tortured others by dragging them there (not intentionally, of course!). It's a 20 minute brisk walk from my part of the slope (5th Avenue) to the museum or the botanic gardens, but for the purposes of pleasure, there's absolutely no point in walking briskly. One can meander one's way there very pleasantly, and that would be at least a half hour walk. There's also a bus that goes from the museum area down Union Street, but I don't do buses, so I have no idea how regularly they run.

So never mind those suggestions, unless you don't mind the hike. But if you want to experience some of Brooklyn's best, it may be worth the journey. (IMHO, of course!)

You're right - my bad.  The young or the fit don't seem to mind, but I have tortured others by dragging them there (not intentionally, of course!).  It's a 20 minute brisk walk from my part of the slope (5th Avenue) to the museum or the botanic gardens, but for the purposes of pleasure, there's absolutely no point in walking briskly.  One can meander one's way there very pleasantly, and that would be at least a half hour walk.  There's also a bus that goes from the museum area down Union Street, but I don't do buses, so I have no idea how regularly they run. 

So never mind those suggestions, unless you don't mind the hike.  But if you want to experience some of Brooklyn's best, it may be worth the journey.  (IMHO, of course!)

Not to worry---we're young (well, relatively) and fit, and like walking. I walk faster than most people (faster than just about everybody in Manhattan on our last visit) and my crew's pretty good about keeping up with me now that their legs are long enough, particularly if there's food at the other end of the journey.

Al di La sounds great.

(Is it just me, or is it really impossible to formulate a search that will pull up the Al Di La thread? I've tried "+brooklyn +italian", "+brooklyn +fifth", "+brooklyn +bruni", "brooklyn park slope", "klinger" -- all to no avail.)

(It's pretty funny that Anna and Emiliano came up with a name consisting entirely of words unsearchably below three letters.)