• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Global Knives and Mac Knives

Anyone know where I could find the cheapest prices in Toronto/GTA for global or mac kives.

Also i keep reading about Nicolaus on this site but cant find them in the yellow pages can someone give a phone number or address.

thx

Anyone know where I could find the cheapest prices in Toronto/GTA for global or mac kives.

Also i keep reading about Nicolaus on this site but cant find them in the yellow pages can someone give a phone number or address.

thx

Nikolaou

629 Queen W

416 504 6411

• 1 month later...

JCK is a great place to buy from. The proprietor is very pleasant and helpful to the extreme. I'm not a big Global fan. They look great but are a bit slippery to hold when wet and oily.

Another place that I found is Paul's Finest http://www.paulsfinest.com Paul is in Lachine, QC and is a great guy to deal with. He carries a few Japanese lines including the Furi line which is all metal like the Globals. My favourites though are the Misono in the UX-10 series.

Japanese style knives are great though. Harder steel that holds an edge better/longer. Slimmer blades for more efficient cutting especially of veggies. Not having a bolster that extends down the the edge of the blade makes the entire lenght of the blade easier to sharpen. Plus, they are sharper as the edge is sharpened to around a 15 degree bevel vs 20 degress plus on western chef's knives.

Best of all, the damascus steel ones are puuurty!

Direct from Japan: http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/

I order everything from there, and I'm yet to see that good prices in Canada. Shipping is cheap as well.

"Grilling with real charcoal? NOW, you're cooking with gas!"

Cooking Gurus Blog

Coffee Gurus Blog