• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Charging an iSi

McAuliflower

I quickly snagged a box of chargers for my new ISI yesterday.

I just sweetened some whipped cream for warm chocolate mousse just out of the oven, and charged up the cantister.

Tasting the cream tho- it's zinggy... tastes like an ice cream float. Looking at my box of charger I now realize its labeled as soda chargers!

I think the chargers that came with my canister were N2O.

Did I just make a bonehead move?

If I look closer, N2O cartridges should be available in the USA right?

Or are they now outlawed right up their with cold medicine...

ps- the whipped cream is good, the carbonation is just a bit distracting...

flavor floozy

Yes, N20 are available in the U.S. Just saw some yesterday.

Good hunting.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

I am pretty sure you can buy the N2O at Williams-Sonoma, you just have to show your ID (as if having a drivers license stops you from huffing the stuff or something?!)

Edited by Tonyy13 (log)

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com

They're available in a lot of supermarkets. The last time I needed some, I just went to my local Food Emporium here in Manhattan and they had plenty.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Thanks everyone. Will go look for N2O cartridges. Now I see the value in color coding gas canisters...

I think I need to go pick up some soda now and top it off with my carbonated cream.

Amazing how you can taste carbonation. It gets me to appreciating pubs that have nitro more and more.

flavor floozy

Buy online.  Williams Sonoma is terribly overpriced.  I also bet if you're not in NYC you won't find them in your local grocery.

Might I ask what the soda chargers are filled with?  CO2?

yes- CO2

for making your own soda- which is something I'll enjoy playing with :)

I assume its as easy as pouring in my flavored liquid into the canister, or maybe just carbonating water and mixing with a syrup.

flavor floozy