• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

La Conner

Out of town friends coming up for the weekend, and we're going to try to get a sneak peak at the flower fields up north before it gets crazy. I have no idea what there is to eat in La Conner, but I've heard rumors that there's some good grub to be had in Edison. Any thoughts?

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Out of town friends coming up for the weekend, and we're going to try to get a sneak peak at the flower fields up north before it gets crazy. I have no idea what there is to eat in La Conner, but I've heard rumors that there's some good grub to be had in Edison. Any thoughts?

I picked up some good cheese and wine at Slough Food in Edison. Here's a recent article on the area that I found while searching for Slough Food:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/outd...wpadilla03.html

Samish Bay Cheese is also nearby, I don't know what their visiting hours are.

The brew pub in La Connor has quite decent (brew pub type) food.

...and really great beer, if you're up for drinking at lunch! Although I'm not too impressed with their attempts at Belgian styles (trippel, witbier, etc.), I think their German (pilsner, oktoberfest, Vienna, doppelbock, etc.) and British (IPA, ESB, stout, porter) versions are among the best I've had anywhere. They usually have only 5-6 kinds on at once, with ESB, IPA, and pilsner among the regulars. The tulip ale is a good but not mind-blowing American pale ale.

If I had to, I could probably live on LaConnor beer alone....

• 10 months later...

It's a little early for flowers, but I've had a couple of nice visits to Skagit lately.

Nell Thorn Pub at La Connor Country Inn is a great spot for lunch (in the cozy bar) or dinner (there is a dining room upstairs.) They are slow food types.

NT

In Anacortes, you can dine at Star Bar (new Owners fall 2005) and have a neighborhood dinner you'd be happy to have in your own home town. They need a staff baker though. There were a lot of people eating out for such a small town - and a pretty good set of options!

Edison - well, two great bakeries (Breadfarm is an organic artisan retail/wholesale bread bakery, Farm to Market has cakes, pastries and savories), a food/wine/cheese store, a saloon and oyster bar, and an old diner under new management by locals - crazy! Two galleries and an accountant flesh out the commercial district.

Think Spring.

Seeds Bistro and Bar is a nice place for lunch or dinner. The service is very good, atmosphere is casual-upscale. Steak and chicken, sandwiches, and a decent burger.

It's housed in an old seed company building. 623 Morris Street in La Conner.

• 2 weeks later...

i second the Slough Foods location in Edison. A good friend of mine opened this little, speciality food market a while back and it's doing great. Pick up some cheese from his fabulous selection, a few cured meats from salumi, some fresh bread from the great bakery next door, and a bottle of wine or two, followed with chocolate from a great selection, and you'll be happy as ever.

The owners name is John DeGloria. Tell him Jonny Marvin sent you.

i second the Slough Foods location in Edison.  A good friend of mine opened this little, speciality food market a while back and it's doing great.  Pick up some cheese from his fabulous selection, a few cured meats from salumi, some fresh bread from the great bakery next door, and a bottle of wine or two, followed with chocolate from a great selection, and you'll be happy as ever. 

The owners name is John DeGloria.  Tell him Jonny Marvin sent you.

And while this place feels out of place, isn't John a local boy - maybe Ferndale or there-abouts?

• 3 months later...

Hi all. I’ll be in La Conner next weekend with a group of girlfriends. Does anyone have any recommendations for dinner, Sunday brunch, or any other foodie destinations? I know there are lots of farms around, but is there a farmer’s market in town? I have a couple of ideas from the La Conner/Edison thread from last March, but I’d love more.

Thanks!

I like the Oyster Bar on Chuckanut Drive and they're open for both lunch and dinner.

If the La Conner Brewing Company's brewpub is still in business (I vaguely remember hearing that it closed), it's a good spot for pub food and great beer.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I like the Oyster Bar on Chuckanut Drive and they're open for both lunch and dinner.

If the La Conner Brewing Company's brewpub is still in business (I vaguely remember hearing that it closed), it's a good spot for pub food and great beer.

The beer guy at Whole Foods told me that they have a new owner and have stopped bottling beer for distribution until they can get some kinks worked out with the bottling process. He was under the impression that the brewpub is still open and that the beer is still available there. I hope that's true, but I don't know anything more! I also hope they fix the bottling process---they're probably my favorite Washington brewery, but also the one with the highest percentage of flat bottles.

BradS

I was at the bewpub.. er... march 2005 and it was great. Overheard some absurdly funny conversation while drinking my really excellent beer.

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell