• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cleveland Restaurants: Reviews & Recommendations

crispy

First, to answer your question, Ohio City is the historic neighborhood right around the West Side Market, just to the west of downtown proper. Lots of Victorian era homes, many of which are beautifully restored; also, a good number of interesting art galleries. The area at the Market is also undergoing a kind of Renaissance -- what used to be a not-great area is slowing undergoing a nice transformation.

Anyway, some "happenin'" spots (I'm working on more, especially for the East Side):

Sage

Theory

XO

Halite

3birds

Fat Cats

I've not yet been to Legacy Village, but in today's Food Section of the Plain Dealer they mentioned what is supposed to be a very good new place. Unfortunately, the Food Section is sitting on my desk at work, so I'll let you know on that one as well.

Laurie

I am now in Cleveland, we flew in last night.

I can't wait to get out and about, if my kids have their way though the first place we will end up at will be Chuck E Cheese..... :shock:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Welcome back! Glad to hear everyone survived the trip.

Are the kids excited about anything besides the second most evil mouse in the US :wink:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

So, Kris, what's on your eating agenda? What are you planning to take back to Japan? I remember your shopping list from your last trip.

I don't have that much this year that I really want to buy, most is actually not even food related!

Some things I won't go back without are couscous, bulghur, various baking chocolates and sriracha. I hope to get to Trader Joe's this weekend and who knows what I will find.

The first thing I did the morning after I got here was go to the library and borrow a couple of cookbooks! :biggrin: and by the afternoon I had already added two to my bulging collection, Paula Wolfert's Cooking of the Eastern Mediterranean and Steve Raichlen's BBQ USA.....

Are the kids excited about anything besides the second most evil mouse in the US :wink:

:hmmm: Compared to?

I worked for *the* mouse for several years and adore him and everything all of it is. :wink:

they are also excited about McDonald's.... :shock:

I think most of my eating will be done without them. My budget has just gotten quite a bit tighter since I have decided to fly to Boston for a couple of days (with out the children!) and visit my sister, I know we will eat quite well together!

I am waiting for my little brother to get here from Michigan and then we can go out and eat as none of my siblings here are all that interested in food.... :angry: Once I get over my fear of driving on the other side of the road I will be getting out more by myself, though right now I am dependant on others.

I am also looking more foward to cooking, especially from my dad's extensive garden, but I need to get this house stocked up first.....

I hope to get to Trader Joe's this weekend and who knows what I will find.

I was there not too long ago and it is kinda a small space with much to read and look at for the first time visitor. It's fun. :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have been here for 2 weeks and have been out quite a bit now.... :biggrin:

Most dinners have been cooked at home, by me, for anywhere from 6 to 9 adults and 7 to 9 kids..... it has been challenging but a lot of fun. Days have been split between doing things with the kids and going out shopping with my brother, we have hit Geauga Lake (amusement park/water park) 3 times already as my aunt bought us all season passes. We have also been to the zoo and Lake Farmpark, we have also started packing our own lunches for our visits to these places as they charge you ridiculous prices for crap...

The days with my brother a little more exciting foodwise, we borrowed a book from the library about ethnic eats in Cleveland and have been hitting most of the places on the East side. One favorite was Pacific East on the corner of Coventry and Mayfield, they had a sushi roll lunch for $10.95 that you can choose 3 of about 12 rolls, they were so big I had a hard time finishing! It also cam with soup, salad and tea. Biggest dissapointment was Shinano on Wilson Mills across from Richmond Mall, we went there for lunch and they menu alone was just disappointing, so I asked if they had a Japanese menu (most restaurants will have a separate menu for the Japanese customers) and we ordered various dishes from there. We also ordered their sushi roll lunch for $8.95 to share, this came only with soup. I was shocked at the size of the roll, they were tiny, this "lunch" was an appetizer portion and it was flavorless to boot. We paid over $40 and left the place with our stomachs still growling. :angry: Of next Japanese venture will be Matsu up on Chagrin.

The place we keep finding ourselves going back to is La Gelateria, a gelato shop with 2 locations, one at Legacy Village and one the Cedar-Fairmount area. We both by far prefer the Cedar-Fairmount, the gelato actually tastes much better there and the atmosphere can't be beat. It makes a nice finish to a lot of the restaurants they have in the area. We went to Mad Greek across the street, and that wasn't bad but I felt their Indian dishes were better than the Greek ones.... :blink:

We have been to Legacy Village which I felt were just a bunch of very overpriced shops, the shopping cener is gorgeous though and many of the restaurants looked quite good, I think we are going to try Stir Crazy that is there.

Trader Joe's was nice, a lot smaller than I expected, but the prices and selection was good, we also visited Sur La Table and Wild Oats.

I normally avoid Malls, but I have been to Beachwood because my ssiter works at Victorias Secret and gets 30% off.... :biggrin:

For most of my real shopping we go to the cheap places, Gabriel Brothers, Wal-mart and Marc's. Another favorite place to go is Golden Gate Shopping center, they have a World Market ( I really like this shop), 1/2 price books, Linens and things, Holcomb's (teaching and educational supplies) and an Old Navy where I picked up a lot of summer clothes on sale. Of course the kids like it because it has Chuck E Cheese.....

My brother and I have been hitting all of the ethnic markets, there is a really nice Indian one near Golden Gate called Lakshmi Plaza that just opened and an African one on Taylor that we drove past last night but didn't have time to get in.

We still have a huge list of places we want to get to, but I am leaving for Boston tomorrow (just me :biggrin: ) and I don't know how many we will make it to after we get back.

Glad to hear you're having such a good time! You definitely need to hit the West Side Market when you get back -- they did a great job of updating/renovating it without losing the cultural and historical feel of the place.

Laurie

• 5 months later...

I am going to be coming to Cleveland sometime during the next few months. I'll probably stay several days and it most likely will be the first of quite a few trips over the next two years. I've never been to Cleveland before, and am curious about the city. I'd love a sort of 'culinary overview.'

Is Cleveland famous for any particular ethnic food, like Houston is for Asian and Mexican, St. Louis for Italian, San Francisco for Chinese? Anything like that?

How about any other local must-try dishes, such as Cincinnati for chili, Philadelphia for cheesesteak, Chicago for hot dogs and pizza?

Which restaurants would you advise I do not miss? Any other attractions not to be overlooked?

I'm getting a good rate at the Sheraton downtown....City Centre, I think it's called. Does anyone know anything about that hotel? Nice? Are there any good spots, particularly for lunch, that are within walking distance?

Thanks in advance, y'all.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

The City Centre, from what I know, is very nice. Let me see if I can get the most current scoop on it for you.

It's been a few years since I've worked Downtown, so I'll do some research on that for you, too.

All the restaurants I mentioned upthread are excellent, not within walking distance, but just a short cab ride away.

Cleveland is definitely a meat and potatoes town (read German/Polish/Jewish), but there is also a fairly large population of Latinos and Asians.

If you're interested, PM me and let me know when you'll be here -- maybe I can give you a tour of some of our markets and we can have lunch.

LaurieB

(read German/Polish/Jewish)

Well, I love good German food. So I'll look forward to that.

And as soon as I get some dates firmed up, will definitely be in touch.

:smile:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Is Cleveland famous for any particular ethnic food, like Houston is for Asian and Mexican, St. Louis for Italian, San Francisco for Chinese?  Anything like that?

How about any other local must-try dishes, such as Cincinnati for chili, Philadelphia for cheesesteak, Chicago for hot dogs and pizza?

Which restaurants would you advise I do not miss?  Any other attractions not to be overlooked?

1. Panini's - a must have. Winking Lizard (or BW3s - don't be discouraged by BW3s outside of Ohio, they aren't real BW3s) for wings.

2. Used to have street vendors that sold gyros but I don't think they exist anymore.

3. All the young dudes hang out in Lakewood (on the West Side) and Mayfield (on the East Side) and Mentor (on the North Side) if you just want bars to drink and play pool at.

4. The 'nightlife' downtown is on West 6th in the Warehouse District; most of the bars are pretty cool.

5. Most of the 'fancy' food is over in Ohio City.

6. Hit the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame, the museums next door, and the Pro Football Hall of Fame is 1 hour south (1.5 hours if you actually drive the speed limit) in Canton, Ohio.

7. Columbus is 2.5 hours South, Cincinatti is 5 hours south. Toledo is 2 hours West. Buffalo is 1.5 hours North.

My husband will be in Cleveland in a week or so on business. They've told him not to bother with dress clothes--they are strictly casual. But they've given an itinerary. The 2 dinners he will be taken out for are at Fahrenheit and Parker's. He wants to be sure that he won't be embarassed by lack of a coat and tie.

Any help with the dress code at these places? And should I be jealous? :laugh:

Thanks!!

Deb

Liberty, MO

• 2 months later...
I know it's an old thread, but I just happened across it and, as a long-time former resident of Cleveland, thought I'd add my $.02

It's been over 10 years since I moved away away from Cleveland, and sadly (tragically, even!), 4 or 5 of my favorites no longer exist (Miller's Dining Room and the old George's Diner--oh, that ham!--top the list).  Still, there are a few joints left worth mentioning......

Ali Baba's on Lorain at around W. 121st St.--I've passed through Cleveland twice in the last year and was not able to find them open either time, so call ahead.  They make the most delicious Lebanese food I have ever tasted (it's been over 10 years, and I can still taste the hummus, labnee, and shish taook--with homemade garlic mayonnaise!).  It used to be--and I presume still is--dirt cheap, too.

Balaton--I have not been to the new location on Shaker Square, but the old Balaton on Buckeye (the encroaching slums forced them to move, no doubt) made simply incredible Hungarian food, for ridiculously cheap prices.  All palpably homemade....easily the best (and biggest!) Wiener Schnitzel I've ever tasted, and that includes anywhere in Austria, goulashes, soups, palacsinta.....oops.....I'm drooling....

Mama Santa's in Little Italy--best pizza in town.  Great homemade cavatelli, too.

Player's--with Mama Santa's already cited, Player's Pizza on the west side has quite good yuppie pizza (you know, goat cheese and smoked chicken and roasted red pepper toppings), with a varied menu and nice, low-key ambience.

Presti's Donuts, in Little Italy--I still have dreams about these, but you must heed my advice:  go in the middle of the night (3 or 4 a.m. is best).  One or two guys are in the shop all night, from about 11 p.m., making donuts for the next day, which they will sell you as they come out of the oven.  By 3 or 4 in the morning, there is a better selection and it's so very calm and....well, there's just something about devouring fresh, hot donuts at 4 a.m.  At 7 a.m., they close the shop and all the donuts are sent to the bakery (of the same name) a few doors down the block.

Draeger's--An old fashioned candy store and ice cream parlor that makes hot fudge sundaes the way they're supposed to be made--with quality, old-fashioned vanilla ice cream and a separate pitcher of hot fudge made the way a real, old-fashioned candy store makes it.  I hear their candy is good, too.

There is also a truly wonderful Cantonese restaurant at 39th and St. Clair, the name of which I can't recall right now.  I tried to go there on my last two passes through Cleveland, and was so crowded both times it was hopeless...... Bo Loong! That's the name....call ahead and try to reserve--it's well worth it.

As I write this, I'm in a hotel in Cleveland (somewhat of a cultural shock for now-pretty-firmly-transplanted New Yorker me), and thought I recalled posting something about favorite Cleveland restaurants. I feel compelled to update, because I finally made it back to one of my old-time favorites last evening.

After several attempts on various trips to Cleveland, I finally managed to have a meal at Ali-Baba, and I'm happy--thrilled, even--to report that nothing has changed. They still serve the best Middle Eastern food I have ever tasted, and it is still dirt cheap. Every time I try any new Middle Eastern place, I always hope that it will be as good as Ali-Baba, and every time, without exception, I am disappointed. One should definitely call ahead to be sure they're open: 216-251-2040.

As for the other places mentioned in my post above, I've been back to some in recent years. In brief:

Balaton: Doing just fine at the new Shaker Square location. The prices went up a bit, but it is still a bargain considering the high quality of the cooking and the huge portions. The food is every bit as sensational as ever.

I hear Presti's donuts has changed name (and ownership) but is still doing things the same way.

I went to Bo Loong last year and it's not NEARLY as good as it used to be 15 years ago... huge disappointment.

Although I still lament the demise of Miller's Dining Room and the original George's Diner, it's good to know that at least some great things are still around to enjoy!

Edited to add: Watch out for capricious closing times at Balaton! I just tried to go here tonight, and despite a posted closing time of 8:00 p.m., was greeted upon our 7:15 arrival with the information that the kitchen closed at 7:00 (!--who the hell eats dinner at 6:30, besides people trying to make shows or senior citizens in Florida?). I just hate that, and despite the fact I know TWO different ways to say "f*ck your mother!" in Hungarian, I thought I showed admirable restraint in managing not to utter either one of them. It appears that becsi szelet will have to wait for a future trip to Cleveland, preferably the far distant future. Instead, my friend and I repaired to a restaurant on the opposite side of Shaker Square, a relative newcomer called Fire. The gimmick here--but it's a good one--is the use of a tandoor oven to cook most of the main dishes. This produced a wonderful "roasted" rib-eye, and a truly spectacular pork chop--the second-best I have ever tasted (the first place one is pretty much untouchable, consumed in A Coruña about 10 years ago). High-quality (of course) organic pork, brined in apple cider and spices, then a mustard dry-rub and roasted in the tandoor...unbelievably good. Well worth checking out if you're in the area--especially if Balaton screws you over.

Edited by Eric_Malson (log)

My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!

I saw that this thread had been bumped up.

I lived in Kent, about an hour south and east of Cleveland, for five years. For about a year and a half of that time, I worked on the West Side of Cleveland. My absolutely favorite place to eat was Phnom Penh, both for the food and for the drinks. And if you're going to be there on the appropriate days of the week, don't forget about browsing at West Side Market, if not buying enough to get you through a month or two. Oh, how I miss that place! :sad:

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Eric,

Thanks for the updates. I will be heading to Cleveland in 3 months and can't wait to try some of these places.

My aunt has been raving about Phnom Penh since they opened and my parent's have even ben a couple times but for some reason I never make it over these on my trips home.... (born and bred eastsider :hmmm: )

It is on the top of my list for this summer!

I'm going to be going to an event at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame next Tuesday evening--can anyone recommend a good place to go beforehand for dinner? Doesn't have to be fancy (and preferably not too expensive.) Just looking for some good eats right around the HoF for myself and a couple of folks--we're all coming in from (way) out of town without much idea of where to go.

Thanks!

sockii

| South Jersey Foodie |

• 1 month later...

I will be back home in Cleveland this summer for almost 6 weeks :biggrin:

I have already picked up the newest copy of Cleveland Ethnic Eats and dog-eared a bunch of pages.....

Any new noteworthy restaurants in the past year?

Where are some of the best places for al fresco dining?

Where is the best ice cream (soft cone/gelato/anything) in the city?

I will be in Cleveland Heights and prefer east side dining, but I will travel to the west side if the food is good enough! :biggrin: