• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

best cheap "no frills" seafood in Boston?

dahlsk

Hi, my dad is going to Boston in a couple of weeks for the first time. He is definitely not a gourmet foodie type, but he does love good seafood. Where can I point him to cheap, not fancy but great, fresh seafood? You know, the type where the people working the fishing boats would go...

Thanks!

I've enjoyed the sort of food you're describing at Durgin Park Great, fresh, simple menu items in a less than pretentious setting! The upstairs dining room is the place to go.

John

"Venite omnes qui stomacho laboratis et ego restaurabo vos"

I've enjoyed the sort of food you're describing at Durgin Park Great, fresh, simple menu items in a less than pretentious setting! The upstairs dining room is the place to go.

John

Just focusing on old-school New England seafood:

Durgin Park is good. There is also The No Name which is at the fish pier, but I don't know how its changed since I went there a million years ago. You could go to the Union Oyster House another one in that area that has the same down-home boston vibe thing going on. There's always Legal Seafoods, too, which despite having developed itself into a mini-chain, still has pretty solid fish.

The Barking Crab is sort of fun, too, with a younger crowd.

That's off the top of my head, I'm sure I'll come up with more.

Sander

While Daily Catch is known as an Italian seafood place, they also do very good plain broiled or fried fish..posted about below

The North End is the original, a little cramped but fun..he could wander the North End after. The Courthouse branch has better parking and a nice harbor view. I personally prefer the original; but if your father is elderly, he might be more comfortable at the courthouse.

For a pub type spot, Sail Loft on Atlantic has good fresh seafood..casual, bar atmosphere with harbor view.

I don't recommend Union Oyster House...except for the downstairs raw bar.

I still enjoy No Name; but I think I'm in the minority. A lot of people feel it's slipped; so maybe I'm just lucky. The fishermen used to go there and still may; but it draws a lot of tourists now..no frills...fresh fish and shellfish broiled or fried. I always order the same thing, fish chowder...milk based and even detractors of No Name like this. then the fried clam roll or plate and Ms 9 gets the broiled haddock.

I like Barking Crab...especially for an out of towner. Unfortunately the food is not always as good as some of the others..but the spot is great.

Edited by 9lives (log)

just a tip on the union oyster house. the ONLY place i'd recommend eating oysters there is at the tiny half circle bar at the front. other than that, you're going to get an oyster that was shucked before.. (who knows when??) ....if you sit at the horseshoe bar though, you're definitely going to get a good oyster.

on another thought -- while i've heard mixed reviews depending on location -- jasper white's summer shack really can do a decent job and gives you that fun "summer shack" vibe. i've never had a bad experience at the one near the convention center, and if you have small kids with you, they do a really wonderful corn dog.

That's the same as my rec re Union.

The only Summer Shack I've been to is at the new terminal A..Logan/Delta, and I thoroughly enjoyed it...good, fresh raw bar and well prepared fried clams. I sometimes make travel plans around being able to stop there.

Better than the Legal's in A or B...which aren't bad options either :smile:

If you will have a car, (or if renting one for some excursions), then I recommend heading out to Cape Ann or other north shore haunts, my favorite is Woodman's in Ipswich - get a lobster on a paper plate - it is the only way to do it! Also great things like fried clams etc.

enjoy!

I agree with recommending Jasper White's summer shacks

simple and fun, but at the same time the food is a notch or two smarter than at all the other relatively inexpensive places.

and they even have decent veggies, great desserts and a reasonable wine list.