• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Complete Transportable Meal

Marlene

I'm having one of those "what was I thinking" moments. Graduation is in three days and I'm on the decorating committee as well as giving out two awards. We leave for a trip in 4 days, I'm running across town every day to check on my brother and bring him food and stuff. And I'm making this dinner. :blink: Tomorrow is going to be one of those days, so I'm going to try to get as much of this dinner done ahead of time. I'm changing the apple crisp to a blueberry rustic tart because I don't have the time or the patience for peeling and coring apples! I'll make the dough today and then it will be easy enough to bake off in the morning.

I want to make the salads today if I can so here's my question of the day. Will pasta salad hold well in the fridge overnight? And, here's my really stupid question, do I cook the broccoli? (yeah yeah, I've never made a pasta salad in my life!)

The mac and cheese and chickens are still going to have to be done ala minute but if I can get the salads, bread, muffins and dessert out of the way, I might actually get ahead of the game here.

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

depends on your pasta - an how well you drain it.

i make bow ties with veg and a vinaigrette the day before because it actually tastes better - IMHO

any tubous macaroni salads i like to eat the same day as i make them since i can NEVER seems to get the pasta drained as well as it should be.

as for the "what was i thinking" moment - you were being kind and caring and wanting to mother...

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I'm using the tri coloured spiral pasta. But I have bow ties and I could use those. But do I cook the broccoli at all?

Marlene

I'm having one of those "what was I thinking" moments.  Graduation is in three days and I'm on the decorating committee as well as giving out two awards.  We leave for a trip in 4 days, I'm running across town every day to check on my brother and bring him food and stuff.  And I'm making this dinner. :blink: Tomorrow is going to be one of those days, so I'm going to try to get as much of this dinner done ahead of time.  I'm changing the apple crisp to a blueberry rustic tart because I don't have the time or the patience for peeling and coring apples!  I'll make the dough today and then it will be easy enough to bake off in the morning.

I want to make the salads today if I can so here's my question of the day.  Will pasta salad hold well in the fridge overnight?  And, here's my really stupid question, do I cook the broccoli?  (yeah yeah, I've never made a pasta salad in my life!)

The mac and cheese and chickens are still going to have to be done ala minute but if I can get the salads, bread, muffins and dessert out of the way, I might actually get ahead of the game here.

Marlene, I often make pasta salad a day ahead to allow the flavors to develop. I do not blanch the broccoli because 1) the florets aren't big and they soften up a bit overnight in the 'fridge and 2) I found that I didn't care for the cooked broccoli aroma that overpowered the salad.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Uncooked it is! Thanks! And that saves a little more time as well!

Marlene

Ok, pasta salad made. Does this look about right? In the end, I did blanch the broccoli for about 35 seconds. Long enough for it to get that nice bright green, but not long enough to cook it. I made an italian/garlic dressing for this.

gallery_6080_942_59584.jpg

I've made the dough for the tart. I was going to make the broccoli salad tonight, but discovered I need more broccoli and cherry tomatoes. I could I suppose, run over to the 24 hour Sobey's, but last I heard, they frown on drinking and driving. :biggrin: So tomorrow's schedule will be:

get up at six and drive Don over to the rig so he can bring it back. Stop at Sobey's on the way back, get broccoli and tomatoes. Get Ryan out of bed. Start cinnamon bread in the bread maker. Blanch broccoli. Drive Ryan to school. Roll out dough for bread, and shape and bake. Finish broccoli salad. Get to a 10:30 meeting. Arrive back from meeting (hopefully) at 12:30 make filling for tart, roll out dough and bake. Make blueberry muffins. Get chickens on rotisserie. Pick up fruit platter that I've ordered. (yeah, I could make it myself, but it won't be as pretty and I just don't have time). Pick up Ryan from school. Take chickens off rotisserie, package everything up and go. I think the mac and cheese may fall by the wayside. Leftovers or pizza for us, then a drive out to visit with my brother for a while. (an hour each way.). Then maybe, a little sleep.

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Life on the edge, that's me. I got off to a good start this morning, and Don helped by driving the lad to school. So far, the rustic tart is about to come out of the oven, the bread has been rolled and shaped and it baking and the muffins are about to go in. I'll do the broccoli salad when I get back from my appointment. Whew.

Marlene

Marlene,

You are doing great. Your pasta salad looks beautiful. You don't need to apologise for ordering something. Everything will be wonderful. Let the mac & cheese go. Call and order a pizza. You are doing an excellent job.

Ellen

Everything has been delivered. Here's the rest of what I made. I forgot to take a picture of the fruit tray, which was indeed, beautiful.

Rustic Blueberry Tart:

gallery_6080_942_64991.jpg

Broccoli and Cherry Tomatoes, tossed in a mustard/honey vinegrette

gallery_6080_942_27135.jpg

Cinnamon Swirl Bread:

gallery_6080_942_25510.jpg

Blueberry muffins (the second batch, as I totally botched the first one :blink: )

gallery_6080_942_18882.jpg

BBQ Chicken:

gallery_6080_942_79622.jpg

I'm ordering in pizza tonight. :biggrin:

Marlene

On paper plates, I hope! Whew. I'm exhausted just looking at what you did. So, how many times did you run the dishwasher today?

6. And I'm not done yet. :hmmm:

Marlene

Marlene,

You totally rock! That all looks wonderful. That was a very nice thing to do for your friend.

I hope you enjoy the pizza. Feel free to put your feet up and make somebody else answer the door.

Ellen

On paper plates, I hope! Whew. I'm exhausted just looking at what you did. So, how many times did you run the dishwasher today?

6. And I'm not done yet. :hmmm:

Paper. Defintely. And, yes, someone else can answer the door and fix you a martini!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"