• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hatfield's Restaurant

rjwong

As I was driving by Beverly Blvd. earlier this week, I noticed that the location where Hatfield’s is looked busy. Oh, they must have opened by now. I need to try that place ... In fact, the restaurant opened about two weeks ago.

Tonight, I got back from Hatfield’s. Unfortunately, I didn’t memorize the menu as well as I should. So, below are my dinner courses, without photos ...

Deviled quail egg with smoked salmon, shot glass of coconut water & aqua fresca: The deviled egg was nice. The coconut water was a bit odd to me. 

Cheese rolls (Emmanthal) with a dish of butter topped with seasonings (diced chives? & black pepper?): Nice and warm, slightly dry. Still pretty good with all that cheese ... 

Celery root soup with Manila clams & maitake mushrooms: The soup looked thick, as it was poured into the bowl with the clams & mushrooms. A very good variation of clam chowder.

Olive oil-poached Alaskan halibut topped with mushrooms, on a bed of slightly pureed asparagus: The halibut  was excellent, moist, not dry at all. The mushrooms, asparagus & flavorings worked well in combination with the halibut. I really liked that recommendation.

German chocolate bomb with coconut sorbet: I enjoyed the smooth chocolate flavor of the ganache that covered the bomb containing the cake inside. The ice cream provided a nice contrast. 

Quinn & Karen Hatfield decided to move from San Francisco, down to Los Angeles, where Karen grew up. The restaurant is pretty small, 40 seats, not 400. That’s by design. Most of the tables are for two than for four. The servers were fine & knowledgable when I was asking questions & inviting recommendations. Karen Hatfield, hostess/pastry chef, was quite helpful in the dessert selections, obviously. As a result, I sensed an intimacy and a familiarity with a small restaurant, without compromising on professionalism.

Again, I didn’t take any photos. Mind you, I saw a man come into the restaurant with a big camera and camera bag. ... if that isn’t a professional photographer from the LA Times... I’m going to put myself on a limb and say that there’s going to be at least a write-up on Hatfield’s in the Los Angeles Times Food Section next Wednesday.

Hatfield's Restaurant

edited for additional information

Edited by rjwong (log)

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had dinner at Hatfield's last night.

I ordered a salad called Quinn's BLT. Organic mesculun, marinated & sliced heirloom tomato, two hefty slices of braised bacon, seasoned crouton sticks. Oh, baby!! This little piggy would die for this!! Quinn's North Carolinian upbringing is quite evident in this dish.

For the main course, Pan roasted hangar steak and fresh horseradish dusted short ribs, spring onion confit and smoked potato puree. It tasted delicious. The meats were not dry at all. I had no problem cutting the steak or the short rib. The onion confit is a nice complement. The server suggested an Austrian Zweigelt "Claus", which paired quite well.

As for dessert, carmelized vanilla custard on shortbread crust with berries and a sorbet (can't remember the flavor, sorry), joined by a pot of citrus chamomile tea. A very nice, light ending to my heavier beginnings. Next time will be the chocolate & peanut butter truffle cake (baked to order).

I feel like I've stumbled upon this wonderfully well-kept secret, which I don't mind. Delicious food, professional & personable staff, a small, very relaxing place where you can have a real conversation.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...