• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Chiffon Cake

LittleIsland

I don't know where you live, but the darkest cocoa I've ever seen is Hershey's Special Dark cocoa, and that is very widely available at supermarkets in the US. It is a dutched, or alkalized cocoa, and to me it tastes an awful lot like Oreo cookies. Personally I prefer dutched cocoa, but this variety is actually over-dutched, and makes for cakes that look almost black. Hershey's first version of dutch cocoa -- Hershey's European Style cocoa, was actually much better.

I live in Singapore and in the supermarkets we have Hershey's Cocoa but not Special Dark.  We also have Ghirardelli but I haven't seen any feedback that puts it above VH either.  I guess if I tried harder I might be able to get Valrhona from some of the commercial suppliers but from what you say it doesn't sound like it's worth it...

FYI-- Between Ghirardelli and regular Hershey's, I would definitely choose Hershey's. Ghirardelli doesn't taste good at all! Just my opinion, of course.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

FYI-- Between Ghirardelli and regular Hershey's, I would definitely choose Hershey's. Ghirardelli doesn't taste good at all! Just my opinion, of course.

Good, that saves me forking out the extra for Ghirardelli :biggrin: since I totally trust your opinion Patrick! I have not bought regular Hershey's as it's not dutched. Can't say I'm an Oreo cookie fan either.

I live in Singapore and in the supermarkets we have Hershey's Cocoa but not Special Dark.  We also have Ghirardelli but I haven't seen any feedback that puts it above VH either.  I guess if I tried harder I might be able to get Valrhona from some of the commercial suppliers but from what you say it doesn't sound like it's worth it...

I have one can (?) of Ghirardelli...bought from S'pore..thinking i would like to try because we only have Hershey's, Van houten on supermarket shelves..I order Lindt and VH from the hotel suppliers.

Your comment does give me a bit at rest...if hershey's is your pick. But as Littleisland said...it is not dutched...The dutched one i sometime use the brand that has a drawing of nurse carrying the cocoa cup ( god, forgot the name!) on the side of the can.

I think I'll start working on the chiffon with Ghirardelli until i am half the way to success Then i'll switch to VH when i know my way around better.

I f any of you can give me advices or warnings before i jump on the wagon, I'd appreciate it. please do help.

Thnx. :wink: