• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Orchards and Farms

Has anyone gone berry or cherry picking lately outside the beltway? If anyone has recommendations, I would appreciate the advice. I'm also looking for somewhere to pick apricots and peaches later this season.

Thanks

-Linda

I've enjoyed picking blackberries at Butler's Orchard out I-270 before. They made a terrific jam! They grow u-pick raspberries and blueberries as well, plus other things (cut-your-own flowers, anyone?), but I've only gone for the blackberries.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had heard about Heartland - they come highly recommended for apples.

Everyone has their obsession, and mine is preserving, so I always need larger quantities than I can get (at a reasonable price) at the farmers' markets. Plus, picking your own is more fun.

• 1 month later...

I went to Johnson's Berry Farm in Upper Marlboro this morning. We had to walk an entire row to pick about three kilos of blackberries, and Wednesday is her last day open this season. It has been so dry and hot that the berries are pretty sour, but the flavor is incredibly intense. Not so good for fresh eating but fantastic for cooking. I've got some macerating in the fridge for jam and it tastes wonderful. :wub: