• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Very Weird Baked Goods

tryska

you're just about at what i was thinking - altho not with onions (i'd be curious to hear that recipe tho)

I was thinking perhaps a riff on one of these:

http://www.davero.com/recipes.php

scroll down to the dessert section - the Davero Olive Oil Cake is similar to your idea, and I also like the Orange Almond Olive Oil Cake - it also has lemon, i think if i used dillseed in this one, perhaps chopped with the almonds, it would add something interesting.

I think the first recipe would work with dillweed.

In this month's (July, actually) Food & WIne there is a recipe for "Fennel Cake with Anise Syrup" on page 116. Essentially it is a ground nut (almond and pistachio) cake with fresh fennel cooked to a carmel brown, fennel seeds, and cooked in a springform pan (no flour, btw). The recipe describes it as being "puddinglike." Perhaps you could take this recipe and work in dill seeds and perhaps even the leaves in the glaze. I'm thinking you could do zucchini, pine nuts and pistachios, lemon zest, and the dill seed in the cake part. Then for the glaze perhaps lemon and dill seed and weed. It might turn out kind of pretty- tan with light green and yellow flecks. I think I might fool around with this a bit. Too bad I'm the only one in the house who likes dill!

How about...twice baked olive cookies with lemon cusatard

http://www.foodtv.com/food/cda/recipe_prin...X6-CARD,00.html

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

• 2 weeks later...

[edited because I remembered the beetroot cake after I posted1]

darn- does that edit mean it isn't worth sharing?

I've been meaning to make beet marshmallows since christmas (when I got my stand mixer). Our downtown grocery store carries powdered beets, which would mingle with sugar well,

I think!

I think I only made it once - my sister-in-law's recipe if I remember right (and she has probably still got it!), but perhaps LBHowes will part with the recipe?.

Is pumpkin used much in cakes in the US? we associate you with pumpkin pie, but there are quite a lot of recipes around (in Oz) for pumpkin in cakes, especially fruit cakes, and sweet breads.

There are a lot of recipes for pumpkin pancakes and waffles. I have tried the waffles and they were great with cinnamon whipped cream. :smile:

• 3 weeks later...

Olive oil cookies are quite common in Turkey. Here's one recipe:

ZEYTİNYAĞLI KURABİYE

2 1/2 c flour

1/2 c sugar

1/2 c olive oil

3 eggs

1/4 t baking soda

Combine all ingredients in a bowl, knead well. form into balls and place on a greased pan, bake in medium oven (350F, 170C)

Some spices do go both ways quite easily; cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice are thought of as sweet spices but can go in savory as well. Cardamom is very flexible too. Saffron...who knows where to classify it? But the really hard-core "savory" spics might be a bit tougher.

Still I've had a very nice lemon pound cake with rosemary. And though we don't usually think of cumin as a sweet spice, it's in the Dutch spekulaasje cookies. It's also an optional ingredient in indian chai; I love it.

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria