• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Chris Amirault

Crepes--Cook-Off 23

209 posts in this topic

This is kind of a lame repost from a meal a couple weeks ago...

Heh, I can do that too... :raz:

Crêpes de Volaille Versaillaise:

gallery_28832_1138_11409.jpg

Chicken, asparagus and mushroom, and a Bechamel sauce.

Seafood Crêpes:

gallery_28832_1138_6816.jpg

Shrimp and crabmeat, onions, celery, scallions and a Bechamel sauce with cayenne pepper and lemon juice.

I think I want to make that last one again, soon...

So, my issues are: mine aren't nearly as evenly browned as Sam's are.  That's probably the fault of my ceramic cooktop.  Nothing I can do about that.  Or maybe the patina will even out with more use?

That will come with more experience and tweaking on your part. I doubt it's a fault of the ceramic cooktop, because the crêpe pan should be perfectly flat and therefore have uniformly good contact with the cooktop.

More likely what it has to do with is just not spreading the batter around quickly enough. My technique is to pour all the batter into the center of pan all in one go while holding the handle with the other hand, then lift the pan off the burner immediately and tip the pan to swirl the batter evenly around the pan. Usually, by the time I finish swirling, the crêpe batter is almost completely set and it's just a matter of waiting a few moments for the crêpe to start looking "done" on the top before flipping it over.

And I only got 7 usable crepes out of the one recipe, nevermind the two that were hopeless.  Probably I should have thinned the batter.  And I keep seeing recipes that call for 2-3 T of batter per crepe, but I had to have 1/3 C, or 5 T, to fill my pan completely.  They aren't thick, per se, but probably should be a lot thinner, based on how many Sam has in his stack.

Keep in mind that my stack was the result of a quatruple batch at least! I also use 1/3 C in my pan. But you have to understand that we have large crêpe pans. There's no way you could fill that pan with 2-3 T of crêpe batter.

gallery_16307_2558_13035.jpg

Channeling Sam.

These look pretty good to me. I think anyone would be happy to have crêpes like that -- especially on your first real use of the pan. You're definitely getting the hang of it. As I'm sure you can see, once you get going it's easy to just bang them out.

I'm not sure if this is helpful at all in this context of the home kitchen, but I thought a technique I've witnessed could be inspiring.  I just got back from a crêpe pilgrimage to Toronto I make from time to time. The place that keeps drawing me back is called Le Papillon, and they make their crêpes on a big flat-top grill.  They're never flipped, stacked or moved: the batter is poured onto the flat-top, troweled-out to a paper-thin film, then as it starts to set-up, the fillings are put on top, while it's still on the grill, then it's folded-up, put on a plate, and served immediately.

I think you nailed this one in suggesting that it might not be that helpful in the context of a home kitchen. Unless you are either making crêpes for one or have a big stove and multiple crêpe pans. Any advantage that would be gained from this (excellent) technique would be lost by holding the crêpes in a warming oven while the others are finished one at a time.

Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

Thanks for the continuing advice, Sam. I'm so relieved to know that was a quadruple batch. I was making them exactly as you describe, except that I held the pan at a slight tilt and poured onto the upper edge, swirling downward. I've been having wrist tendonitis problems, and that seems like an easier motion that swirling from the center out. Next time I'll try it your way, though, because I want to get it right.

I continue to try to understand the color issue. Bryan's are pale, delicate, and unspeckled, the second set of Grub's are uniformly browned and crisp-looking. Sam's are uniformly speckled/brindled, and mine are on that path, but not there yet. Is this caused by a difference in pans, or is it technique? Bryan and Grub, will you show us your pans?

I was dining alone last night, so I put my first batch into the fridge. Tonight I'll fill them with something nice.

I think the difference is heat/cook time vs the thickness of your crèpe. I generally go for that even speckle.

I think I'll make some crepes tonight for desert!

Though I'm really fantasizing about some spinach, gruyère and onion ones. with pancetta? hmn. something meaty.

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

I've noticed that most of the batter recipes people are using seem to be made in a blender. My blender is currently buried somewhere while we redo our kitchen, and it probably won't be unearthed for a few weeks yet.

Any suggestions for mixing crêpe batter without a blender? Or should I either beg a blender from a friend with a kitchen, or just wait until I have my own kitchen again?

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I usually am too lazy to pull out a blender and/or clean it. I go whisk all the way, but I don't have a set recipe. I tend to either search online when I need one, (haven't found a true keeper yet), or just fudge it.

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

Any suggestions for mixing crêpe batter without a blender? Or should I either beg a blender from a friend with a kitchen, or just wait until I have my own kitchen again?

A whisk with a little elbow grease. I add the liquid slowly, making sure I get rid of all the lumps - then let rest.

Does anyone use the T-shaped wooden utensil for spreading the batter? I noticed most creperies I went to in France used this little tool which seemed a brilliant idea. Spreading the batter evenly is what I struggle with and I'd be interested to hear how people deal with this problem--aside from loads of practice, any tricks?

I continue to try to understand the color issue.  Bryan's are pale, delicate, and unspeckled, the second set of Grub's are uniformly browned and crisp-looking.  Sam's are uniformly speckled/brindled, and mine are on that path, but not there yet.  Is this caused by a difference in pans, or is it technique?
It's a difference in pans, recipes, techniques and goals. For something like the Keller dish BryanZ posted, my usual crêpes would never work. You need something lighter and more delicate. My crêpe recipe is fairly robust. It is also the case that a nonstick pan can create crêpes that are both thinner, more evenly colored and overall less colored than a those from a traditional crêpe pan.<br>

Here are some examples of different crêpe batters.<br><br>

<table>

<tr>

<th>SLK's Standard</th>

<th>Delicate Dessert</th>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>1C AP flour</td>

<td>1C AP flour</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>1 1/3 C milk/water</td>

<td>2 C milk</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>3 eggs</td>

<td>4 eggs</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>3 T melted butter</td>

<td>4 T melted butter</td>

<tr>

<td>(no sugar)</td>

<td>4 T sugar</td>

</table>

<br>As you can see the second recipe, which makes a thinner and more delicate dessert crêpe, has more egg, more liquid and more fat. There are many variations. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that those really light, thin crêpes of Keller's have even more egg and liquid (and also that they are cooked at a lower temperature on nonstick).

Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

I usually am too lazy to pull out a blender and/or clean it. I go whisk all the way, but I don't have a set recipe. I tend to either search online when I need one, (haven't found a true keeper yet), or just fudge it.

A whisk with a little elbow grease.  I add the liquid slowly, making sure I get rid of all the lumps - then let rest.

A whisk I do have. I may give it a shot at batter this weekend...if I don't get dragged into doing other things instead.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I think I'm going to make one of these.

Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

hmn... maybe I will try that SLK one with a pinch of salt ... I really want some cheesy spinachy goodness... xD If I get out of work on time

I think I'm going to make one of these.

They are SO GOOD, Sam. So good.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

T_T I want to make one of those too now.

So I can eat it.

Hmn. Maybe another use for that Mascarpone frosting/filling I love. Time to experiment with a little citrus and berries I think!

I've been longing to make that mille crepe since Megan first posted it. In fact, that's a major motivation for getting my pan in shape and mastering the damn things once and for all.

I have some home-cured bacon and some farm eggs that are calling to me at the moment, so I think some sort of breakfast crepe is on the menu for today's lunch. I want to use these up, so I can make a nicer batch.

I learned to make crepes by pouring too much batter into the pan, giving it a quick swirl and pouring out the excess. Coats the pan evenly and thinly as the crepe batter thickness will allow. I use a non-stick skillet, and no utensil for turning: the batter that gets cooked onto the side of the pan (where you pour out the excess batter) makes a little "handle" which I just grab hold of and flip the crepe with my fingers.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

here's the Dutch spekpannenkoek. The bacon is fried first, then the batter is poured on top of the bacon. Serve with golden syrup.

I don't think these actually qualify as crepes, because they are thicker. But I had to show them off anyway! :smile:

gallery_21505_1968_15276.jpg

BACON CRÊPES?!?!

Must. Have. Bacon. Crêpes.

And I can make them sound exotic, possibly even healthy if I call them spekpannenkoek.

Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

BACON CRÊPES?!?!

Must. Have. Bacon. Crêpes.

And I can make them sound exotic, possibly even healthy if I call them spekpannenkoek.

The recipe, and more pictures, is here in the Dutch Cooking thread. I am craving some right now as well... and I just had dinner!

Edited by Chufi (log)

Well, this is kind of bacon crepe, except that I fried up the lardons first, and then some spring onions, red peppers, and little tomatoes, the latter all cooked in the bacon fat, of course. Then I made a little milk gravy with the tiny bit of bacon fat and vegetable juices remaining in the pan. By then there was no more bacon fat, so the eggs had to be scrambled in butter. It was a fridge-cleaning lunch, but not an artery-cleaning one.

gallery_16307_1993_42826.jpg

Probably I should have added more bacon.

Klary your spekpannenkoek look amazing. So simple yet so tasty.

Abra, what a gorgeous picture of a beautiful lunch.

Edited by Shaya (log)

What's the best/standard filling for the mille crepe?

There's a great thread of discussion on the mille crepes, including fillings, in the post slkinsey linked to above in post #36.

One of the classic fillings is pastry cream which can be flavored any number of ways and into which whipped cream is folded. I want to try a kirsch-flavored one sometime... :smile:

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

the recipe that's in the cake bible contains corn starch instead of flour and is very liquidy. this doesn't necessarily mean that it is as ethereal as she claims, but i find it a very serviceable crepe for sweet items.

I continue to try to understand the color issue.  Bryan's are pale, delicate, and unspeckled, the second set of Grub's are uniformly browned and crisp-looking.  Sam's are uniformly speckled/brindled, and mine are on that path, but not there yet.  Is this caused by a difference in pans, or is it technique?  Bryan and Grub, will you show us your pans?

I doubt I could help anyone with their technique, but for what it's worth, the pan I used was a strictly no-frills, cheapo, non-stick aluminum pan:

168582683_73b0b48fb0.jpg

It's old, and a little bent, but seemed to do the job fairly well. I'm sure a specialized crêpe pan would be a little easier, but only due to the lower edges giving your spatula easier access.

• Similar Content

• By eG Forums Host
      eGullet Recipe Cook-Off Index

Thanks to chrisamirault, every now and then since December 2004, a good number of us have been getting together over at the eGullet Recipe Cook-Off.

The Cook-Off is intended to be a forum at which we all can cook the same dish and share our experiences in a non-competitive, collaborative manner, making a dish:
      that you've always wanted to make at home (and may enjoy out) but rarely have made, or haven't made successfully; for which special but locatable ingredients may be used, but for which expensive special equipment is not required; that includes techniques, ingredient combinations, or other elements that intrigue you; from a different cuisine than that of the previous Cook-Off dish; that demands some time and effort, but that rewards that effort for even those first approaching it; and that motivates you to try it out, ask questions, serve it to friends, and share photos and stories. As we cook and compare, some of us post our recipes on RecipeGullet, the eGullet Society's wonderful database of cooking ideas, instructions, and insight.

Finally, thanks to the internet, remember that you're never too late for an eGullet Cook-Off. While all have a specific starting time, none have an end time, and there are many of us eager to see what you will do with the cook-off recipes. So don't hesitate to contribute if you're finding this thread weeks or months after its start: by posting your own ideas, questions, or results, you can bump activity back up on this thread in no time!

We've created this index so all cook-offs are easy to find and join in. We'll keep it updated.

Here is the list:
      Cook-Off 1: Cassoulet Cook-Off 2: Char Siu Bao Cook-Off 3: Gumbo Cook-Off 4: Lamb Curry Cook-Off 5: Fried Chicken Cook-Off 6: Pad Thai Cook-Off 7: Moussaka Cook-Off 8: Pizza Cook-Off 9: Mole Poblano Cook-Off 10: Meatloaf and Burgers Cook-Off 11: Ice Cream, Gelato, Sorbet, and Sherbet Cook-Off 12: Composed Salads Cook-Off 13: Fresh and Stuffed Pasta, including Gnocchi Cook-Off 14: Bibimbap Cook-Off 15: Chili Cook-Off 16: Potato Pancakes Cook-Off 17: Sausages Cook-Off 18: Asian Noodle Soups Cook-Off 19: Eggs, Beaten, With Stuff In Them Cook-Off 20: Chowdah/Chowder Cook-Off 21: Risotto Cook-Off 22: Tempura Cook-Off 23: Crêpes Cook-Off 24: Kebabs, Satays, & Skewers Cook-Off 25: Tamales Cook-Off 26: Soup Dumplings (Xiao Long Bao) Cook-Off 27: Daube Cook-Off 28: Mafé (Peanut Stew) Cook-Off 29: Posole/Pozole Cook-Off 30: Felafel/Falafel Cook-Off 31: Paella Cook-Off 32: Pickles Cook-Off 33: Cold Noodle Dishes Cook-Off 34: Ceviche Cook-Off 35: Pot-au-feu/Simmered Meat'n'Veg Cook-Off 36: Stuffed Cabbage Rolls Cook-Off 37: Croquettes Cook-Off 38: Feijoada Cook-Off 39: Tacos Cook-Off 40: Cold Soups Cook-Off 41: Jerk Cook-Off 42: Ratatouille Cook-Off 43: Braised Brisket Cook-Off 44: Ossobuco Cook-Off 45: Fries / Frites / Chips Cook-off 46: Enchiladas Cook-off 47: Asian Tofu Dishes Cook-off 48: Grilled Pizza Cook-off 49: Slaws Cook-Off 50: Lamb Stew Cook-Off 51: Chicken and Dumplings Cook-Off 52: Lasagna Cook-Off 53: Grilled Chicken Cook-Off 54: Gratins Cook-Off 55: Shrimp & Grits Cook-Off 56: Savory-Filled Pastry Cook-Off 57: Bolognese sauce Cook-Off 58: Hash Cook-Off 59: Cured, Brined, Smoked and Salted Fish Cook-Off 60: Banh Mi Cook-Off 61: Gels, Jell-O and Aspic Cook-Off 62: Squid, Calamari and Octopus Cook-Off 63: Summer Squash Cook-Off 64: Confit Cook-Off 65: Pork Belly Cook-Off 66: Rhubarb Cook-Off 67: Apples Cook-Off 68: Citrus Fruits Cook-Off 69: Beer Cook-Off  70: Shellfish Grilled Over an Open Flame Cook-Off 71: Winter Squash Cook-Off 72: Ramen 
    • By David Ross
      Welcome back to our popular eGullet Cook-Off Series. Our last Cook-Off, Hash, took us into a heated discussion of the meat of the matter--should it be chopped, hashed, sliced, diced, or chunked.
      Click here, for our Hash discussion, and the answers to all of your questions about this beloved diner staple. The complete eG Cook-Off Index can be found here. Today we’re launching eGullet Cook-Off 59: Cured, Brined, Smoked and Salted Fish.
      Drying fish is a method of preservation that dates back to Ancient times, but more recently, (let’s say a mere 500 years ago or so), salt mining became a major industry in Europe and salt was a fast and economical way of preserving fish. Curing agents like nitrates were introduced in the 19th century, furthering the safety and taste of preserved fish.
      Where I live in the Pacific Northwest, Native Americans have been preserving fish and seafood for millennia. While we are best known for our ruby-red, oily-rich, smoked salmon, other species of fish found in the Pacific and in our streams are delicious when cured and smoked including Halibut, Sablefish and Idaho Rainbow Trout. And don’t think that you can’t smoke shellfish, alder-smoked Dungeness Crab is a wondrous Pacific Northwest delicacy that evokes memories of crab roasting over a driftwood fire on the beach.
      Another method of preserving fish is to bath the beauties in a brine—a combination of water, sugar, salt and spices that adds flavor and moisture to fish before it is dried or smoked. And speaking of smoked fish, you can do it in a small pan on top of the stove, in a cast iron drum, a barbecue pit, an old woodshed or a fancy digital smoker. The methods and flavors produced by smoking fish are endless.
      Old-fashioned ways of preserving fish, (while adequate at the time), aren't always the best method today. Today's technology provides us with the tools to create cured fish that is moist, succulent, tender and with a hint of smoke. The Modernist movement has certainly played a role in bringing this age-old craft into the 21st century, so for the avant-garde in the crowd, show us your creative wizardry for preserving fish the "modern" way.
      Cured, Brined, Smoked or Salted, the art of preserving fish opens us up to limitless possibilities that transcend the boundaries of cuisine and culture. So let’s sew-up the holes in our fishnets, scrub the barnacles off the rowboat and set out to sea in search of some delectable fish to cure, brine, smoke and salt.
    • By David Ross
      Welcome back to a time-honored, cherished eG tradition, the eG Cook-Off Series. Today were venturing into a new world for Cook-Off's. Member Kerry Beal came forward with a Cook-Off idea we just couldn't pass up--Pork Belly--and inspired a new idea for future Cook-Off's. Knowing we're a community of great culinary minds, we'll be inviting the Members to send us ideas for potential future Cook-Off's, (more information to come later). Take it away Kerry and let's raid the larder and start cookin.
    • By David Ross
      Fall is but a whisper of the recent past--at least it is where I live in the upper reaches of Eastern, Washington. We had our first fluff of snow a week ago and a reasonable November storm is predicted for this weekend with temperatures holding at a chilly 18 degrees at night.
      Along with the rumblings of cold winter weather and Holiday feasts, we turn our culinary musings to time-treasured, comfortable dishes. And so I invite you to join me in another kitchen adventure--the inimitable eG Cook-Off Series. In 2013, we've tackled the tricky cooking of Squid, Calamari and Octopus and we made delicious dishes out of the humble Summer Squash.
      (Click here http://forums.egulle...cook-off-index/ for the complete eG Cook-Off Index).
      But today we're shunning all manner of counting calories, salt or fat content--for what is rich in flavor is good for the soul my dear friends. Please join me in crafting, nuturing and savoring a dish of Confit.
    • By David Ross
      Hello friends and welcome back to a time-honored tradition--the popular eG Cook-Off Series. We're in the heat of summer right now and our gardens are literally blooming with all manner of peak of the season ripe fruits and succulent vegetables. And there's no better time of year to honor a vegetable that is often maligned as not being as colorful or trendy as the chi-chi breakfast radish or the multi-hued rainbow chard.

In addition to not always being recognized for it's looks, every August and September it becomes the butt of jokes at State Fair competitions across the country. If you can get past the embarassment of seeing the poor devils dressed up and carved into silly, cartoon-like farm figures or pumped-up with organic steroids, you'll find a delicious, low-calorie vegetable packed with potassium and vitamin A. Yes friends, your dreams have come true for today we kick-off eG Cook-Off #62, "Summer Squash."
      (Click here http://forums.egulle...cook-off-index/ for the complete eG Cook-Off Index).

According to the University of Illinois Extension Office, summer squash, (also known in some circles as Italian marrow), are tender, warm-season vegetables that can be grown anytime during the warm, frost-free season. Summer squash differs from fall and winter squash, (like pumpkins, acorn and butternut squash), because it is harvested before the outer rind hardens. Some of the most popular summer squash are the Green and Yellow Zucchini, Scallop, Patty Pan, Globe, Butter Blossom and Yellow Crookneck.

My personal favorite summer squash is the versatile zucchini. Slow-cooked with sliced onion and ham hock, zucchini is perfectly comfortable nestled on a plate next to juicy, fried pork chops and creamy macaroni and cheese. But the chi-chi haute crowd isn't forgotten when it comes to zucchini, or, as the sniffy French call it, the "courgette." Tiny, spring courgette blossoms stuffed with herbs and ricotta cheese then dipped in tempura batter and gently fried are a delicacy found on Michelin-Star menus across the globe.

Won't you please join me in crafting some delicious masterpieces that showcase the culinary possibilities of delicious summer squash.