• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crepes--Cook-Off 23

Chris Amirault

Brunch today, savory and sweet crepes.

gallery_16307_215_10544.jpg

The savory ones were filled with rosemary ham, potatoes that had been roasted with Parm Reggiano, and some shaved extra-aged Gouda. A little sauce of some sort might have been a good addition, but I didn't get that together.

gallery_16307_215_50255.jpg

The sweet ones were filled with garden blueberries and a little sweetened Quark.

I love Sam's recipe! It works so perfectly that even the very first crepe came out just right.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if these are a result of French colonialism or a endemic dish, but dinner tonight was Vietnamese country pancake. A basic batter of rice flour and coconut milk flavoured with curry powder. When this was cooking, spring onion tops, deepfried shallots and brown shrimp were placed on top. Once the pancake sets, the oil starts to render out of the coconut milk, which gives a golden brown colour and a crisp texture. The pancakes were stuffed with blanched bean shoots, herbs and stirfried caramel pork with amarath.

gallery_1643_2840_508889.jpg

gallery_1643_2840_635416.jpg

All the Asian crepes are inspiring, the version with rice flour making me think that summer rolls are not all that different.

Klary's double-cheese crepe also looks wonderful. I wish there were more raw milk cheeses in this country :angry: to use.

I just picked up some lemon-basil at the market and instead of simply making a raw tomato-basil & mozzarella sauce for pasta, it might be fun to try a related kind of cheese for an Italian-Dutch crepe, folding it around chopped tomatoes, garlic and herbs.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

I made two different dessert crepes.

One was filled with sour cherry preserves from the Schwartzwald and crushed walnuts. I topped it with vanilla ice cream and drizzled with a bittersweet chocolate sauce.

The second was filled with chestnut honey and crushed walnuts. Also topped with vanilla ice cream and bittersweet chocolate sauce.

They were both delicous.

Made this a while back and forgot to post...

Buckwheat Crepe with Ham, Egg and Gruyere

gallery_15459_855_438.jpg

enjoy!

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

• 1 year later...

I'm bumping this up because, now that I'm living in France, it's come to my attention that Saturday Feb. 1 is La Fête de la Chandeleur, a day when everyone in France is supposed to eat lots of crepes! And since I didn't bring my crepe pan with me, I'll have to get accustomed to the nonstick one here in the house.

I'm having a birthday guest, and want to make about 5 different kinds. So if you have some favorites that haven't been mentioned here, pipe up! And in any case, Saturday's the day when you have total permission to make those crepes you've been thinking about trying.

In the end I used the buckwheat galette recipe from Anna Thomas that Chufi linked to above, and slkinsey's recipe for the sweet crepes, and did a whole bunch of fillings, the details and pictures of which are to be found right here.

Crepes are just about the best thing ever when it comes to versatility and making people happy for mere pennies, or centimes in my case.

• 9 months later...
Anyone see any problems with making crepe batter on Thursday morning, but not making the crepes until Friday?

It should be totally fine. I've kept batter for a couple of days in the fridge.

The human mouth is called a pie hole. The human being is called a couch potato... They drive the food, they wear the food... That keeps the food hot, that keeps the food cold. That is the altar where they worship the food, that's what they eat when they've eaten too much food, that gets rid of the guilt triggered by eating more food. Food, food, food... Over the Hedge

I'm so excited -I just bought a crepe pan (my first!) two days ago so expect to see me posting some time! :)

Any particular favourite savoury crepe recipes?

Rattatouille and goats cheese is my fave, with a glass of breton apple cider.

Smoked salmon is good too.

I'm so excited -I just bought a crepe pan (my first!) two days ago so expect to see me posting some time! :)

Any particular favourite savoury crepe recipes?

Rattatouille and goats cheese is my fave, with a glass of breton apple cider.

Smoked salmon is good too.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

About the smoked salmon, what would you have it with? I was doing some 'research' and plenty of people served it along with caramelised onions, spinach, cream cheese, etc.

Also, do I just fold it inside the crepe? Not sure whether I should add it during the cooking process or after...

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

• 3 years later...

Yesterday was La Chandeleur so I made crêpes. For savory crêpes, I use a batter that is half buckwheat half wheat. For sweet crêpes, I use a much lighter batter that is 100% wheat. I like to add a touch of orange blossom water to the sweet batter. Other than this minor modification, I use the recipes from The Country Cooking of France by Anne Willan (which are very traditional - see the end of this post for a link).

The batters.

The buckwheat batter (on the left) rests before it is further diluted.

6813632137_4c5b55eebd_z.jpg

Breton buckwheat galettes (Galettes bretonnes au sarrasin)

For the filling, we went traditional with a backyard egg from our friends, ham, and cheese.

6813619889_a237bfb2b2_z.jpg

Crêpe with chocolate ganache. 6813622763_44c45853c1_z.jpg

I also had one with plain crystallized sugar, which is actually my favorite. There is something about the light crunch of sugar that is irresistible.

Galette recipe

Crêpe recipe

FrogPrincesse, those look lovely. Are you happy with your buckwheat crepe recipe? I've tried several and while they're okay, they're always heavier and not as as tasty as those I get in France. So I'm still searching for my perfect galette recipe.

FrogPrincesse, those look lovely. Are you happy with your buckwheat crepe recipe? I've tried several and while they're okay, they're always heavier and not as as tasty as those I get in France. So I'm still searching for my perfect galette recipe.

Thanks Linda! :smile:

I am happy with the recipe. They come out a little thicker than the sweet crêpes (which is normal), but still quite thin. They have a great nutty flavor from the buckwheat.

Let me know if you are having a problem seeing the online recipe; I can send it to you.

I am sure that there are already some good tips on this thread. For me the key is to use a hot pan (I just use a large T-fal skillet); once you ladle the batter in the middle of the pan, you need to immediately tip the pan in all directions to spread the batter and form the crêpe, which should happen almost instantly (if not, the pan is not hot enough). That way the crêpes are never too thick. That's how my mom taught me to make them and it works great.

...For me the key is to use a hot pan (I just use a large T-fal skillet); once you ladle the batter in the middle of the pan, you need to immediately tip the pan in all directions to spread the batter and form the crêpe, which should happen almost instantly (if not, the pan is not hot enough)....

Exactly. THEN, immediately tip any excess batter OUT of the pan (into a waste bowl). Ever notice in France how there is often a kind of ear on the crepe? That's from the pour off.

eGullet member #80.

• 2 weeks later...

I made more crêpes last week for a mardi-gras party at my daughter's school. And I will be making more again tonight...

This was a triple batch (9 eggs!). Using a couple of large non stick pans, my yield was 24 crêpes. The kids all wanted nutella.

6895002819_7513b6f8bd_z.jpg

6894999579_da996d3eef_z.jpg

• 2 years later...

I started early and made buckwheat crepes last week with the traditional jambon - oeuf - fromage filling (ham, egg, cheese).

The first one is always a miss but that's ok. It's the cook's treat.

12807394844_911d7820be_z.jpg

The buckwheat crepes are very delicate and break easily due to the lower gluten content. I had to be careful not to turn them too soon.

12807086843_781839b1e6_z.jpg

12807089273_dc8490c783_z.jpg

Assembly

12807398794_492219bc7d_z.jpg

12827628623_446874dbc5_z.jpg

12827630983_04301eacaf_z.jpg

I also made nutella and sugar crepes a couple of weeks ago, but not enough to satisfy my craving. Only a half batch (about 8 crepes) and they were gone in a few seconds. I only got to eat one.

The plan is to make more crêpes de froment (wheat) tonight.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 1

Hi FrogPrincesse. I make crepes so often for my son's breakfast that I'm not going to make them today.

You know I always make the crepe you linked from Anne Wilson? But the traditional buckwheat crepe I always regret. I did last year and I almost ended up ruining the seasoning on the debuyer  crepiere (also when I tried to make socca in it!). But I used for many years a recipe that I think is Vongerichten's where there is a small percentage of wheat, which helps.

Last year I got a this book from the library. So many thick French crepes with regional variations. Maybe I should have copied some and try a different crepe for the occasion.

Hi FrogPrincesse. I make crepes so often for my son's breakfast that I'm not going to make them today.

You know I always make the crepe you linked from Anne Wilson? But the traditional buckwheat crepe I always regret. I did last year and I almost ended up ruining the seasoning on the debuyer  crepiere (also when I tried to make socca in it!). But I used for many years a recipe that I think is Vongerichten's where there is a small percentage of wheat, which helps.

Hi Franci,

Regarding Anne Willan's recipe, that's the one I still make too, with the addition of a little bit of orange flower water (my secret ingredient). Some people add a touch of honey.

Regarding buckwheat, her recipe is 50:50 buckwheat and wheat which helps a lot. 100% buckwheat must be very hard to handle. I believe that they are not flipped, just garnished and folded in the pan.