• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A few wines for friends this weekend

dinwiddie

My son graduated on Friday and we had family and friends over. A few wines that we opened to celebrate.

2001 Trunchard Chardonnay Napa Valley Carneros

Wonderful citrus, pear and peach flavors. Very easy to drink, with a rich mouth feel, it was a complex and very elegant wine. My wife, who seldom asks me to buy "more" wine asked if I had any more in the cellar since she loved it. I wish I had bought a case.

2002 Martinelli Bella Vigna Pinot Noir

It was only decanted for about 45 minutes before we started, but two hours later, it is quite nice. Lots of cherry fruit, not to alcoholic or hot, and quite well integrated. While it can't compare with Martinelli's best, it is a very nice Pinot Noir.

2004 Dain American Beauty Pinot Noir - Amber Ridge Vyd

Floral nose of cherrys, cola and nutmeg that was very pleasant. Supple, elegant wine, not as "big" as other PNs but still very fruit forward. Lots of black cherry, vanilla and earth flavors, well structured, good acidity, and supple tannins. Medium finish to long finish. Everythig on could want in a Pinot Noir. Excellent first effort and I'm really looking forward to the future for these wines.

1997 Joseph Phelps Napa Valley Cabernet

It hasn't gotten any better than the last time I opened one last year, but it hasn't gone downhill any either. Still has plenty of cherry and black fruit flavors with that slight licorice/anise edge with herbs. Soft tannins but not to soft. Still has a fairly long finish. I'd drink whatever you had left over the next couple/three years.

1998 Chateau Behere

About an hour after opening it was wonderful. Still has lots of dark fruits and a touch of mint, but the tannins have smoothed out and the nose was exciting. I think this wine will last for a long, long time, but I'm afraid my last bottle won't.

1995 Château Beau-Séjour Bécot

Still has a lot of life in it but it is quite approachable now. It still has the earthy characteristics that one expects with a St. Emillion, but not distracting. Nose of berrys and spice and cinnimon, lots of fruit and a long finish. Hints of vanilla in the background. The tannins have softened some since the last time, but still give you that bracing taste of oak mid-palate. I enjoyed it a lot and am glad that there are still more left to enjoy over the next 3-4 years.

Thaks for the note on the Beau-Sejour Becot. I've not yet opened any of mine, but it sounds like the time is nearing to do so.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Thaks for the note on the Beau-Sejour Becot.  I've not yet opened any of mine, but it sounds like the time is nearing to do so.

I wouldn't hesitate opening one now, but they are going to be good for a long time. I just wish I had more than just a couple of left. BTW, my son gave one to his favorite teacher last week as a present when he graduated. I think she will appreciate it.