• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fete de Jean-Baptiste on June 24

Pontormo

In posting this topic in the Italian regional forum, I've learned a little about French and Canadian traditions.

From what I've read this feast day has become secularized and tied to national traditions. (In the secularized version in Florence, it's tied to tourism, although of course, it still remains an important feast day for many Italians.)

Out of curiosity, I am posting here to see if there are any particular foods or dishes associated specifically with celebrations on this day.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Hum? I'd say beer... Quite frankly, that day has become a femily day where people gather either at home or in parks to see concerts throughout the province. It's a french holiday meaning that most english speaking Quebecers don't celebrate it. It's also the holiday that launches the summer here as kids are just out of school and parents are starting to go on vacation. It's also a holiday that is closely linked to our french identity and that fact that we're different. On a political note, some people take advantage of it to promote the independance of Quebec from Canada as the patriotism is pretty strong.

As for food, I'd say hot-dogs and burgers, anything that can be cooked on a grill or BBQ. I guess corn on the cob is also a pretty safe value.

Campofiorin is right--La Fete St-Jean Baptiste has become almost completely secularized here (in Quebec). It is even known as the Fete Nationale (for the 'nation' of Quebec), and is indeed the first "BBQ with the kids" holiday of the summer.

If Victoria Day (or Dollard Day in Quebec, around May 24th this year) is the planting long-weekend for gardeners, the Saint-Jean Baptiste is the first long weekend of summer. Uniquely in Quebec, we have two long weekends in a row, since Canada Day is July 1st. But for that we give up the August long weekend. :hmmm:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

It's a french holiday meaning that most english speaking Quebecers don't celebrate it.

I don't think that statement is even close to accurate. :angry: It's a QUEBEC holiday & all QUEBECERS, regardless of what language they speak can choose to celebrate. Born & bred here & living in my little "Anglo" enclave of Cote St. Luc, I recall many a fete nationale celebration, especially as a teenager in the 70s we used to party non-stop at the mountain & everyone partied, you spoke French or English or Spanish or whatever. The gov't promotes fete nationale as a multi-cultural inclusive holiday that everyone is welcome to celebrate.

See my original post.

As I mentioned, there are a LOT of culinary traditions on June 24 in Italy, given, of course, the major role the Roman Church has played and continues to play in that country. Since regional cuisines differ, the culinary traditions differ, with the exception of gathering green walnuts to make a liqueur, perhaps, since the practice seems wide-spread.

I started the post here because of the relative youth of Canada as a country. Given the little I've learned about the secularized holiday, I just wondered whether folk in areas steeped in French culture would observe "Old World" traditions tied specifically to John the Baptist, or if they would simply eat any old French thing (a croissant for breakfast, deliberately, instead of Cheerios or the usual bagel, fried egg...) or do as we folk below you do on July 4, a national holiday that most people think of as an excuse for a family picnic or cook-out.

The first response suggest the latter. No one's mentioned anything like the special pastries, pastas or liqueurs one finds in Italy.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

It's a french holiday meaning that most english speaking Quebecers don't celebrate it.

I don't think that statement is even close to accurate. :angry: It's a QUEBEC holiday & all QUEBECERS, regardless of what language they speak can choose to celebrate. Born & bred here & living in my little "Anglo" enclave of Cote St. Luc, I recall many a fete nationale celebration, especially as a teenager in the 70s we used to party non-stop at the mountain & everyone partied, you spoke French or English or Spanish or whatever. The gov't promotes fete nationale as a multi-cultural inclusive holiday that everyone is welcome to celebrate.

The key word is my statement would be MOST. I'm not saying that only french speaking people celebrate it, I'm only saying most people who celebrate it have a french canadian background. However, many cultural group that have been present for many years (italians, haitians for instance) and numerous newcomers are getting involved now and I think it's great. It's giving the holiday a new breath and hopefully taking some of the politics out of it.

As for the question of our original poster, Jean-Baptiste is the patron of french-canadians but nothing really religious is attached to it now.